• We are no longer supporting TapaTalk as a mobile app for our sites. The TapaTalk App has many issues with speed on our server as well as security holes that leave us vulnerable to attacks and spammers.

Destroyed speed sensor

humdngr

Hi everyone, I'm new to this forum but it looks like a great place.

So I have a 2007 Yamaha attak that has around 8500km on it. At the end of last season I was in the middle of a lake run when my sled threw two codes 84 & 42. When I checked the speed sensor it looked okay but I bought a new one anyways. (I know the other code has something to do with the TORS and throttle cable). Regardless, that was my last ride and when I just brought my sled home on the trailer to get it ready for this season, I went to change the speed sensor and I noticed it was completely destroyed by the jack shaft. I'm assuming the bearing let go, but because at the end of my last ride the speed sensor was OK, I think that the shaft only moved from putting the sled on and off the trailer/into the garage.

What I wanted to know is if this is a common thing, how expensive a fix this would be - or if it is better to do yourself, and what else could have been damaged from this.

Thanks!

Attachments

• Photo 11-1-2013, 23 36 42.jpg
    Photo 11-1-2013, 23 36 42.jpg
    37.4 KB · Views: 728
  • Photo 11-1-2013, 23 36 49.jpg
    Photo 11-1-2013, 23 36 49.jpg
    34 KB · Views: 786
  • Photo 11-1-2013, 23 37 07.jpg
    Photo 11-1-2013, 23 37 07.jpg
    33.3 KB · Views: 483
  • Photo 11-1-2013, 23 37 20.jpg
    Photo 11-1-2013, 23 37 20.jpg
    49.5 KB · Views: 1,018

Drive shaft bearing gone. It will destroy the sensor when it goes completely like that. Mostly likely you will have to cut the bearing race off the shaft. Not expensive to do but PITA.

Okay thanks dmaxx, i actually called a dealer after reading exactly what this fix would entail... said they would do it for $90 plus parts $30... can't really argue with that

That's not bad, would almost be worth it for me as I said, its a booger getting them off sometimes.

I had that same thing happen to me on my viper. It was a bugger to get the old inner race of that bearing off the shaft. I remember using lots of heat and a small "P" grinder cutting wheel. Might not be a bad idea to let them do it for that price? Good luck humdngr ! ;)!

don't forget the price of speed sensor . try and get a used one . much cheaper i can hook you up with some one. .and had the same thing on a warrior and it was a bugger to cut the race off

Back