• We are no longer supporting TapaTalk as a mobile app for our sites. The TapaTalk App has many issues with speed on our server as well as security holes that leave us vulnerable to attacks and spammers.

Did yamaha make changes I made?

gun nut

Expert
I solved a couple problems on my 06 years ago, and some of you followed. I am wondering if Yamaha solved the 2 problems. One is the front skid covers loosening, and the screw holding the hyfax on would seize up. I showed how to replace the front screw with a stainless screw, and nylock nut.

To keep the front skid cover from coming loose. I used goop glue in the cap, and stainless screw and nutto hold it in place..
To hold the hyfax in place I used a stainless screw and nylock nut. You have to drill and file a hole in the skid to accommodate the nut.

They changed the rail end caps , now they are held on with two rivits . No change to the slider screws , was there a problem with the screws ?

I just took my entire skid apart in my '07 GT, and sacrificed one of the caps trying to drill out the rivet.

I ordered a new cap from Yamaha and found that it shipped with no hole at all in it! I'm guessing I drill my own hole, but was surprised that it came this way.

I plan on replacing the rivets with bolt/nylock and filling the cap to eliminate slop as well.

I did the same thing ,boy does that drill bit hunt. How did you like the price of that piece of plastic ?

I have an 07 Attak GT. What was the issue with the rail caps that required re-design?

I have my skid apart doing a front arm replacement and rebuild - would be a good time for me to change these if needed.

they come loose and fall off causing the rail to stab the track and rip it in half you need to replace the rivets with nut and bolt set up washers if need be from drilling to prevent this very expensive failer.

MT.man said:
I did the same thing ,boy does that drill bit hunt. How did you like the price of that piece of plastic ?

No doubt, it was like $28 or $23 mail order. Something like that. For the love of me I could not get that rivet out without wasting the cap.

The only reason I was pulling the caps anyway was so that I could get the rail in for welding and powder coating. Otherwise, mine were sloppy, but solid. They were not going anywhere.

I will have to be sure I measure twice before drilling the new hole. I want to be sure the Hyfax will get on properly as well with minimal gap. I suppose just measuring the other cap to the center of the hole is the plan.

Back