• We are no longer supporting TapaTalk as a mobile app for our sites. The TapaTalk App has many issues with speed on our server as well as security holes that leave us vulnerable to attacks and spammers.

Do Ohlins make a huge difference?

number1kyster

TY 4 Stroke God
Country
USA
Snowmobile
2018 SW RTX SE
Do they make the ride more sporty and racy? Stock shocks are a little soft for my riding style.

I have the rear clicker on my '04 shorty/136"

For a top-of-the-line shock, they come very stiff, or aggressively valved and sprung. I weigh 230 ish and the factory setup was too hard. I sent my shock to Pioneer and they put a softer spring on it ($90). Now it's much improved, but I can't go past 2 clicks from soft, FRA Soft or I'll get pounded. I'm thinking of having the shock re-valved for a softer ride so I can make more use of the clicker. I may eventually consider a re-valved Kayaba alum. bodied shock from either Pioneer or Maxximum. I've ridden the Viper update shocks and they are unbelieveable - plush ride with just the right amount of soft, bottoming and they make the Pro-Action shine.

If you decide to go with new Ohlins, talk to Bruce at Pioneer, he'll set them up for you, BEFORE you spend more $$$ tuning them.

I've got the Ohlins fronts on my Warrior. I've never bottomed these shocks on the stock settings, where I could bottom the stock shocks fairly easily in bad conditions.

I've since put the 13mm swaybar, now the front end is a little stiff. I backed off a few clicks on the damping, and still have to try them with the preload set at minimum (backed off about 5 turns from stock).

IMHO, they worked better with the 11mm swaybar, excellent mix of control and ride. I'd guess that the 12mm bar would have been a better fit for a mix of rough trail comfort and overall cornering flatness.

I have all 4 ohlins and I think they make a huge difference. They are way more capable than the stock shocks and have more adjustability. I think the shocks are set up more aggressive than the original shocks but I think with adjusting the preload and using the clickers you can acheive a better ride than stock.

I am an aggressive rider and the reason I got them was to eliminate hard bottoming. I have a 11 mm swaybar, I added preload and have the clickers near the stiffest settings. I found this setup to work the best for cornering. I was disapointed with the rears because I had to run the entire skid really stiff to avoid bottoming and that hurt the sled in the stutters. I have since had them revalved by Ohlins and that made a huge difference.

I now have a sled that the rear skid actually strokes very well and rides much better than stock, but can take the big hits. It is a different sled. I think the biggest problem with the Proaction is setup and the valving of the shocks.

Hey Leeko, how much you weigh? How long did it take Ohlins to revalve your shocks and what did you tell them to do?

4fighter,

I weigh 200lbs., I sent them to OHLINS in NC. I told them I had to run the FRA adjuster at full stiff and the clicker at full stiff and I was still bottoming it hard. The ride in the stutters suffered with this setup. I wanted a more progressive rate and a shock that is more reactive(less)dampening) with more resistance to bottoming.

They rebuilt, revalved, added pre-load and tested them on a shock dyno. It cost me $300 but I now set my skid in the softest setting on the FRA and in the middle on the clicker and it is night and day better. The rear skid feel much more progressive with more stroking. I can bottom it but it doesn't bottom hard and seems to recover way faster. I also added 3 inches of foam to my 03' seat that I think is a great mod and also helps in the stutters.

Leeko

4fighter,

I forgot to tell you how long it took. It took a couple of weeks

Ohlins all around,toke a couple of miles to tune it in but after that its great.Just changed the shocks,everything else is stock.2003-ER

Back