• We are no longer supporting TapaTalk as a mobile app for our sites. The TapaTalk App has many issues with speed on our server as well as security holes that leave us vulnerable to attacks and spammers.

Does a 16" tall OEM windshield require support bars?

ArchSledder

I looked on Yamaha's website under Apex/Attack. I'm interested in a 16" tall windshield (SMA-8FT96-30-BK) to put on an 09 Apex. The picture doesn't show support brackets.

Would a 16" require support brackets? I don't want one that has to use brackets.

The Yamaha accessory Tall (16") and Extra-Tall (17 3/4") windshields both come with the support brackets. The accessory medium (14 1/4") is the tallest windshield Yamaha offers that doesn't require support brackets. The accessory medium is about 1 to 1 1/2" taller than the stock medium windshield that comes on the Apex models. It also is bent at a more forward angle thus pushing the air up higher and sooner and the area out near the hands is flared out more to provide better coverage. If looks or the fear of drilling a painted surface to install the support brackets on a tall or extra-tall scares you then use the accessory medium as it does a much better job at providing wind coverage than the stock medium without killing the looks or having to add the supports.

I just went with the 16" yamaha accesery shield. It came with brackets,but i did not install first time out. Its fine at slow speeds,but up around 90 to 100mph's, it starts to fold back pretty severly.to the point of the light assembly almost pops off its front slot.If you pull back on shield and lights you'll see where the light assembly goes into a slot.I dont think it will do major harm to anything but it is a concern. So to make a long story short i installed the brakets. I too was reluctant (hated the thought of drilling into top cover pieces).Ended up being very easy install and does not look bad at all.Its a must if you do a lot of high speed running.The bars have rubber bushings so they dont damage painted surfaces any.

My father installed the xtra tall yamaha windshield. No problems, no paint flaking, no regrets. The factory cover still fits fine, and actually no flopping around of the stretchy cover material when trailering....unlike my RTX with stock windscreen under the cover on the trailer. It flops like crazy when going down the interstate with that low windscreen.

Back