• We are no longer supporting TapaTalk as a mobile app for our sites. The TapaTalk App has many issues with speed on our server as well as security holes that leave us vulnerable to attacks and spammers.

Donuts

blue er said:
excellant work Dan
My sled doesn't appear to have a problem backfiring yet, but on cold startup i hear a ticking noise in the exhaust that goes away as the engine heats up.
with all the snow gone for awhile i may just tear into this donut problem and try to do a pictorial for everyone.
** sled has 4400 km on it**

My Apex's (3900 miles) exhaust is making a ticking noise as well. I can only hear it from the rear of the sled. Everything else seems to be okay. I am debating changing my donuts before I go to Canda at the end of the month.

When I did mine I found when I re-installed my clamps they were still VERY loose. So I ground a bit off and they were still too loose. I noticed that the clamps had "flattened" out a bit...this is kinda hard to explain....the clamp itself is Vee'd and the vee had flatted out...so I put the clamp in my vice and squeezed the vee tighter on both sides of the clamp...making sense?? This worked very well.

I pulled my seat and tank off after my weekend ride (455km) and everything looks great. Don't be afraid of going in and checking it's not hard...

The drone isn't from degrading donuts. You don't have to worry about donuts wearing out with only 230 miles. Just get out there and ride it.

favarcat said:
The drone isn't from degrading donuts. You don't have to worry about donuts wearing out with only 230 miles. Just get out there and ride it.

Agreed! In fact, if you go full tilt all the time, the noise can't catch up to you..lol.
Run em and have fun.

Just replaced mine for the 2nd time in 500 miles. Sled has 7200 miles on it and started to backfire. Replaced the doughnuts and it still backfired. Took it apart again the both y pipes had chips out of them right under the flanges. I think they may have been thin to begin with and broke when my repair guy was tightening them during the first doughnut change. One other thing he noticed was all the bracket rivets had pulled though. Not the best design but hopefully she'll be back in fighting form again!!

06 apex with 4500 miles. Pulled mine apart last weekend...1 is a little out of shape...2 are in bad shape in chunks...1 did not have a dounut I can not find even a small chunk. It looks like it was never there!!! It just started backfiring a week or so ago.

Dave

apex exhaust problems

i have heard of alot of people with this problem i think it should be a recall as it could be a fire hazard exhaust under gas tank boom mine had three worn out pipes bought it this way bad design bad materials. mine was bad enough that it was blowing the aspestos into pieces.i will be changing to rx1 exhaust. with a little fabrication.

I am working on a concept fix for this donut issue. It will be a while before I can get enough testing on it to prove it out though.
Hopefully I'll be able to post a thread in the future to help you guys out...

As for grinding on the dougnuts.I had replaced them in my 05 two years ago and had ground roughly .020 of the clamps.I recently had the tank off for some other work that I was planning ,anyhow the clamps were nice and tight.No leaks of any kind.I have approx 4000 miles since they were changed.

My Apex's (3900 miles) exhaust is making a ticking noise as well. I can only hear it from the rear of the sled. Everything else seems to be okay. I am debating changing my donuts before I go to Canda at the end of the month.[/quote]

I would change them out just to be sure, when i took mine all apart #4 was gone about 95% and #3 was crumbling as well, why it wasn't backfiring is beyond me

Mine didn't backfire once and the end of my Y-pipe was missing! You could actually see flames when I started it with the sled disassembled. If you think it's leaking check it before it breaks the Y-pipe!

Back