• We are no longer supporting TapaTalk as a mobile app for our sites. The TapaTalk App has many issues with speed on our server as well as security holes that leave us vulnerable to attacks and spammers.

DOO rider confused on what to buy-RTX SE?

Revolution903

Hello! First post here on TY! I currently have a MXZ-X600 XP, really like the sled but looking for a more agressive suspension set up. Maybe something I could take to a sno-x race or a cross country race in the Masters class. Quit racing a few years ago but might want to dabble a little this season. Thinking of ordering a new SE, but really have no time on the machine. Looking for some feedback from agressive trail riders and racers alike. Sled looks awesome but a little concerned with the handling issues I've read here on the '08's. REALLY like the shock setup on the new SE. SOMEONE please talk me into or out of this sled please! Thanks

all handling issues have been cured with the new steering geometry. got to ride the se on a ski hill but had some fun jumps and hills to hit. this sled was an absolute thrill to drive. i am no big jumper but the longer i rode this sled the more i could jump higher and higher and not lose any confidance. i currently own an 08 nytro, and i can tell you what 1 year can do to a snowmobile. you wont be disappointed

Thanks for the report Hollywood. I will use this for mostly hard trail riding/ditch banging. Any others?

nytros

I've owned 3 X package revs. With stock shock valving, I think even the standard FX Nytro is a little stiffer - but comparable. The RTX is definately stiffer than a stock X pkg. I had a chance to ride the RTX, the SE, and my REV with revalved shocks through the same bumpy trails. Keep in mind the Nytros were not yet broken in and who know what the suspension setup was. The RTX road smoother and stayed more stable through the bumps. Even on the bigger stuff, the RTX had a nice plush feel and inspired confidence. Definately an all around improvement over the rev. The SE felt stiffer than the RTX, but I'm hoping when it's fully broke in, and with all the adjustability, it can be made closer to the feel of the RTX (I plan on ordering one tomorrow).

I love my Nytro. You don't even notice the handling issue when your going balls to the wall in moguls. I swear to you that the front end problems doesn't even become an issue when your pushing it through the most nastiest trail you can find. You know how when you jump your 2 stroke sleds and the front end likes to go straight up?? Well on the Nytro, when you jump it levels right out. I never had the problems with my Nytro's nose going high in the air. Perfect little jumping machine in my opinion.

Snowman07 said:
I love my Nytro. You don't even notice the handling issue when your going balls to the wall in moguls. I swear to you that the front end problems doesn't even become an issue when your pushing it through the most nastiest trail you can find. You know how when you jump your 2 stroke sleds and the front end likes to go straight up?? Well on the Nytro, when you jump it levels right out. I never had the problems with my Nytro's nose going high in the air. Perfect little jumping machine in my opinion.

I don't know if the 09 yamaha's will handle better than the 08's but I got a chance to try an 08 nytro today. I own an 08 800 REV XP. There is no comparison in handling in my opinion. The XP is more balanced in weight front to back. The Yamaha hit really hard in the front, it nose dived off jumps and road very harsh. I don't know how it was setup but it really didn't impress me. The Nytro did have good power. I'm thinking of getting an 09 if it handles a lot better like people have been saying.

If you let off the gas before you hit the lip of the jump the nose will dive on an XP. If you keep the throttle consistant it flies straight, and if you give more gas the nose will come up. The nytro at best would fly straight. Most of the time it would nose dive. I really hope Yamaha gets the handling sorted out with the 09's. I would probably buy one if they did.

Thanks for info. Anyone else have much of a chance to compare an XP to a Nytro? Again, I'm looking for something very agressive. My XP does handle awesome-would like more big bump ability.

Revolution903 said:
Thanks for info. Anyone else have much of a chance to compare an XP to a Nytro? Again, I'm looking for something very agressive. My XP does handle awesome-would like more big bump ability.

You should maybe try and get your shocks re-valved on your skidoo. The Nytro was impressive. It was the first four stroke I've ever driven. I was deffinately surprised. I think the 08 nytro that I drove would benifit from more weight transfer. The front end is deffinately heavier. Its easier to calibrate shocks on a sled that has fairly even weight distribution. If yamaha can dial in their suspension I think it would be comparable to any two stroke sled. I really want to try the 09's.

Chalk up me as one who loves his 08, just the way it is. I'm curious as to your reason you just don't revalve or replace your shocks. Shouldn't that be stiffer, even if the suspension its self isn't as stiff? I'm new to the suspension build thing, good thing I bought a RTX, eh!

Thought about revalving. The rear shock has great adjustability, the other 3 are so-so. A front shock upgrade is not out of the question. I really like the shock package on the SE-I was hoping I could make it handle as well. For an X-package-better front shocks sure would be nice.

I did not care for the way my standard Nytro rode. I replaced the rear shocks & springs and revalved the fronts. I'm pleased with it now. Best riding sled I've ever owned.

My friend got a complete shock package from hygear. Said it was almost completely right on from the guy, also said this guy is deffinately someone to send your stuff to. Just an option.

Revolution903 - go with the NYTRO SE all the way. I can find the limits of the rear suspension on my 08 RTX a little easier than I anticipated, even with the clickers turned up. Planning a revalve of rear only for next season.
The 09 SE model has that sweet hi/lo comp adjustable rear shock - I'm jealous! The other updates are just a bonus. If you think a doo X-package is too soft, anything other than an SE for next season might not be enough.

Back