• We are no longer supporting TapaTalk as a mobile app for our sites. The TapaTalk App has many issues with speed on our server as well as security holes that leave us vulnerable to attacks and spammers.

Dos and don'ts about winching??

jw3210 said:
captcaper the strap is a simple loop that you slip over the jack, which seams like it will slip off easly when you push sled off one side or the other.

The only racheting strap I can think of is a rope with a locking pully that is from snobunje, along with a bunje cord would enhance the winch.

I was talking about the ratchet strap trucks use to fasten theri loads to the beds. This is what the poster above was talking about I believe. What I was saying I can't see how it would be better then a winch or cumberlong unless it had a long handle to pull on. I've seen those kind on trucks.
The strap for our snow jacks is a loop and does slip off when pushing the sled over. Don't forget I've used my High Jacker brand to lift my heavy Attak alot. Even in the shop.

I used a come-along to pull two different Professionals out of trouble this weekend. One was miserably stuck on while breaking a steep narrow trail uphill. Going backwards was not an option. Pulling it forward out of a hole and up a hill was simple with a come-along. The next day I buried mine in a similar predicament but on flat ground. Backing out was no option. Pulling it forward was easy. Toss a Pack Mule under the seat with some Blue Steel line for long reach. Small, light, and way effective.

BTW, pulling directly on the front bumper was not an issue in either case, and neither was an easy pull.

http://www.deuer.com/html/page2.htm

stewartb said:
I used a come-along to pull two different Professionals out of trouble this weekend. One was miserably stuck on while breaking a steep narrow trail uphill. Going backwards was not an option. Pulling it forward out of a hole and up a hill was simple with a come-along. The next day I buried mine in a similar predicament but on flat ground. Backing out was no option. Pulling it forward was easy. Toss a Pack Mule under the seat with some Blue Steel line for long reach. Small, light, and way effective.

BTW, pulling directly on the front bumper was not an issue in either case, and neither was an easy pull.

http://www.deuer.com/html/page2.htm

I would like to know more about the "Pack Mule". I carry a rope come-a-long (Maasadam) and 100' of 1/2" rope under the seat. The rope has been handy for rescue and I have used the come-a-long a couple of times to get unstuck...once with a pulley to increase pulling power. This seems like an alternative to carrying a winch and dealing with the possible battery issues. The 1/2" rope and come-a-long take up most of the room under the seat so a smaller unit and thin synthetic line would save space.

The weight of the VK has taught me not to get adventerous when going off trail. I rode lighter utility sleds for 20 years and when I bought my '08 VK "dream sled" I learned quickly that weight really matters...usually in a bad way. The beast can pull one heck of a load so I still like it. 3000 miles so far and no issues.

As long as I don't spin the track I'm not stuck. In areas where I feel like I'm about to spin out, I take action to prevent it. In most cases the strategy works. In some I still get stuck. If getting stuck is inevitable I always minimize the problem. No reason to make recovery more difficult than it needs to be. All that said, the Pack Mule and some 3/16" Blue Steel are pretty handy to have when stuck happens. My local hardware store stocks Pack Mules and ATV synthetic winch lines.

Stewart,

Which hardware store?

David

AIH has always stocked the Pack Mule. They also carry an orange synthetic winch line but only in 50' lengths. Arctic Wire Rope has the same orange stuff in 50' and 100' lengths.

Back