• We are no longer supporting TapaTalk as a mobile app for our sites. The TapaTalk App has many issues with speed on our server as well as security holes that leave us vulnerable to attacks and spammers.

driveline noise 03 rx1 mtn

coreysask

Veteran
Website
corey.cabler.com
My 03 RX1 Mtn started making a growl noise this weekend.

I checked the chain bolt tensioner, it's about finger tight. The track was a bit loose and I brought that into the 1.25" deflection. Still growls above 20mph.

It almost sounds like the growl when the track is jumping cogs when it's too loose, but it should be ok. Still accelerates like crazy and lifts the skis. Once it starts the growl will come to a thump thump thump when almost stopped.

I forgot to check the belt...before I start tearing it apart...any other hints or anyone have this trouble?

Thanks all...and happy new yamaha year!

Corey
http://corey.cabler.com

More than likely drive axle brg or the jackshaft brg both on the clutch side, should be changed out once and awhile or greased.

Yup, it sure could be those bearings or it could be from that time you forgot your parking brake on and made a halfmoon shape on your drive belt? I know, I've done it too.

Good luck

Frosty

Red...you're right. Jackshaft bearing behind the driven clutch.

Seems to be a bearing sitting on a bushing that's broken. I've taken the broken bushing piece out...is there any easy way to get the bearing out or do I have to take the chaincase apart to get the shaft out to drive the bugger out?

Yammy dealer says there is an upgrade kit that preloads the bearing better (which I ordered). Is that the way to go?

Thanks
Corey

Pretty sure you're going to have to open the chaincase and pull the jackshaft...

Once you have it out hopefully it will pop out with a little persuasion... But mine was a pain in the arse and I had to do the following:

First apply heat to the outer casing that holds the bearing... then with a piece of all-thread turn a large washer and nut up onto the back side. On the outter side where the secondary clutch was, put a large socket over the allthread and a nut on the end. You can hammer out the bearing's outter raceway by sliding the socket up the all-thread.

Hope this makes sense and hope you get it swapped out.

Thanks...ya, I'm optomistic that I don't have to take it all apart, but I'm not betting on it.

Every bearing puller from the store is sitting on the bench...now if the bloody part would show up would be nice. At least the backorder status is removed ...or so the store tells me.

Anytime I did one it was far easier in the long run to take of the chaincase, then you should be changing both brgs on that side. Pull the skid out, have a look at it, change the brg on the drive axle, then change the upper brg out with the dumb lock collar. The jack shaft will come out the clutch side, then you can knock the brg of the shaft. Have fun

The plot thickens...
so the oem bearing shows up. Looks fine, it's exactly like the one in the frame right now. Same slop...it's probably 1/4" inside diameter bigger than the driveshaft.
So, I guess the bushing thingie isn't part of the darn bearing.
Ordered the other piece the looks like it fit.

I expected the "kit" and got the replacement bearing...ah hell.

There seems to be a spacer 1" long stuck in the driven clutch...going to warm that up and see if loosens.

Anyone have a driven clutch, bearings, shims, 04 parts from the frame to the bolt they want to sell?

Never thought something so trivial would bring down my yamaha for such a long time.

Its a very bad design, why not make a brg that fits the shaft. The 03 came with a wedge that drove in from the clutch side, sometimes it would fall out, the update is a thread wedge on the outside of the brg, on the inside of the brg is a thread nut, hope you order that to, it gets installed onto the jack shaft then put the shaft thru the brg, then put the thread wedge into the brg and tighten the collar up. Its a pain to tighten up, yami has no specs on how tight.

Ya seems crappy design.

I hope the bushing thing (which shows split in the diagrams...makes sense now) does it.

I think it hammered a spacer into the clutch crooked that I haven't been able to get out yet.

I'm sure it will come, painful though. Maybe I'm just spoilled...not used to crappy parts on yamahas. If it was a cat this would totally make sense! :)

Back