• We are no longer supporting TapaTalk as a mobile app for our sites. The TapaTalk App has many issues with speed on our server as well as security holes that leave us vulnerable to attacks and spammers.

drone sound new apex xtx

snowslammer

Extreme
Guys all i can say is wow i love my apex just got back from riding the up i pout 1000 miles on in 3-1/2 days and it is awsome up there except for trails around munising and the apex was flawless(except for the annoying drone sound coming in at around 30-40 mile an hour and its loud! could this be the sound of a cracked exup? i can feel it in the floor board it so loud but anyother speed its silent and at idel it silent im prolly gona tear in to it soon to check things out just wondered if anyone else has noticed this

snowslammer said:
Guys all i can say is wow i love my apex just got back from riding the up i pout 1000 miles on in 3-1/2 days and it is awsome up there except for trails around munising and the apex was flawless(except for the annoying drone sound coming in at around 30-40 mile an hour and its loud! could this be the sound of a cracked exup? i can feel it in the floor board it so loud but anyother speed its silent and at idel it silent im prolly gona tear in to it soon to check things out just wondered if anyone else has noticed this

All the 4 cylinder Apex's have the dreaded drone, but if your's is new and still under warranty then take it to the dealer.

Also, after the sled is warmed up good, cover both rear exhaust ports with rags or gloved hands and see if your sled stalls quickly? If it does, chances are your donuts/exhaust system is good, if it continues running without stalling, then chances are you have an exhaust issue.

ya i figured i would do thee old rag trick ill let you know what i find out i will find the problem then take it to the dealer just for peace of mind

cmharcou said:
Stay out of the 25-35 mph range.
That's great!

Ride it and love it man!

adjust throttle and get the speed above that drone sound. Above and below the drone she sure sounds sweet! put some ear phones and crank up AC DC and you will love it! ;)!

+1 on Drone noise. Yesterday I did a lot of untouched 3 feet snow + U.P. michigan logging trails and back country trails. The XTX did great but most of the time I was going very slow. The Drone noise did start to give me a headache. I may try ear plugs. The sled was probably not really designed to go slow nor was it probably not really designed to really go in the deep back country slow.

Don't get me wrong the XTX did great and was flawless in the deep stuff but I am just guessing slow wasn't on their minds when they designed the thing.

I got the XTX to go into the deep snow. However I was really surprised that my Dads old 1995 2 stroke short track Cat somehow blows right through the deepest untouched snow without a hickup. I couldn't believe it. It never got stuck. We are talking back country, old logging roads, deep snow!!!!! :sled1:

yes i love the sled i just never had that noise on the old nytro so ill get used to it sled is wicked fast and i love it well out to do an oil change

cmharcou said:
All yamaha's have the headache drone noise, but I'll trade that for the awesome torque anyday! Stay out of the 25-35 mph range.

Not all, just the 4 cylinder Apex's have it.

If anyone has any ideas / solution to the "Drone" please let me know. When going "steady as she goes" long distance (for example down long straight old railroad tracks) The Drone does get old fast.

try Ontario. trail speed limit is dead on the drone. that is why I rarely travel at that speed.

Back