• We are no longer supporting TapaTalk as a mobile app for our sites. The TapaTalk App has many issues with speed on our server as well as security holes that leave us vulnerable to attacks and spammers.

Dying a seat

sherlock29

TY 4 Stroke Guru
Just as its states... I want to dye the red stripe on my 40th seat. Seems to get grunggy looking and want it all black. I've searched but can't seem to find the tread, but others have done this.

What is the best dye to use, and will it rub off after i'm done??

sherlock

sherlock29 said:
Just as its states... I want to dye the red stripe on my 40th seat. Seems to get grunggy looking and want it all black. I've searched but can't seem to find the tread, but others have done this.

sherlock

If the only problem is grunge, then buy a tub of orange scrub hand wipes(like the permatex ones), and give it a clean with that. I bought a 07 attak, and the silver in the seat was almost completly black. I tried all kinds of cleaners with no luck. Pulled out the wipes to clean my hands, and thought....what they hey. Gave each side a 60 second scrub, and looks brand new. Now, if you just want the seat to be black, then carry on with the question, because I don't know what dye they are using

seat

I tryed the dye and it dont work for s$%&t.The best thing to do is to take it to the local upholstry guy and get him to take the red strip out and replace it with a black one.I did this with the silver strip on my 07GT and it looks great.Here is a pic.

T2-Copy.jpg

seats

Funny you should post this...I have the black and grey seat and was wondering about dying my grey section red to match the red on my rtx windshield and a arms..........

sleddog66 said:
sherlock29 said:

sherlock

If the only problem is grunge, then buy a tub of orange scrub hand wipes(like the permatex ones), and give it a clean with that. I bought a 07 attak, and the silver in the seat was almost completly black. I tried all kinds of cleaners with no luck. Pulled out the wipes to clean my hands, and thought....what they hey. Gave each side a 60 second scrub, and looks brand new. Now, if you just want the seat to be black, then carry on with the question, because I don't know what dye they are using

I recently posted a question about bringing my red back to life on my 40th, someone suggested a Mr. Clean Magic Eraser so I gave it a go and it came out mint!
I bought the sled used and I thought it was in great shape and very clean but after giving it a go with the Magic Eraser, I now know that wasn't the case ;)!

P.S. Great looking sled Helmic! :Rockon:

I dyed mine in the garage section it was easy peasy. Just spray on and its looks new after one year and 700 miles. I am happy with the dye. Mine was silver that i covered up

I had dyed my stock seat on my Attak. If you prep the seat first it will hold up ok, with just touch ups every now and then. I used SEM brand dye. Black satin finish makes for a near perfect match.

dyed seat

I dyed mine this past fall and it held up great . very happy with it . i used the duplicolor gloss , i wanted it shiny to match the painted plastic.
Sorry the cel phone pic kinda sucks .

Attachments

• 0226111402-02.jpg
    0226111402-02.jpg
    137.9 KB · Views: 164
Re: seat

helmic said:
I tryed the dye and it dont work for s$%&t.The best thing to do is to take it to the local upholstry guy and get him to take the red strip out and replace it with a black one.I did this with the silver strip on my 07GT and it looks great.

If you dyed your seat and it did not work you either did it wrong or used a crap brand of dye.
SEM makes an extremely durable primer and dye. mine still looks perfect after 7000 miles

]

I've dyed two seats with VHT vinyl dye (black satin) from Summit racing. Rode 2 seasons on both seats with no problems. Proper cleaning of the vinyl is key.

I dyed the silver stripe with black gloss from Napa. They did need to order it in, but works great! 2500 miles and it looks brand new.

I didn't even prep mine LOL I was going to but it was a marathon weekend with no kids, no wife and I had a TON of work to do completely forgot and pretty soon found myself spraying VHT dye LOL Looks great love that stuff.

I bought both the SEM and the VHT which do you think looks better?

RacinJason15 said:
I bought both the SEM and the VHT which do you think looks better?

Either one will work great. The key is in the prep. I used 3M Dye and Adhesive remover on the seat, after i cleaned the seat well. Need to get all oils off the seat, then the dye can penetrate the vinyl. Then just follow the directions on the can to apply.

Back