• We are no longer supporting TapaTalk as a mobile app for our sites. The TapaTalk App has many issues with speed on our server as well as security holes that leave us vulnerable to attacks and spammers.

engine braking.....how can you lesson the effects ?

alaskanbowtie

Expert
I'm used to a two stroke and being able to get on and off the throttle just snapping the throttle like jumping little mounds and small drops or jumping up faces.....now hearing about the engine braking it seems if you drop the throttle quick it down shifts and stops abruptly ? Is there a way to lower the effects of this so it's not very noticeable ? I can see being at the top of a steep climb and as I go to turn drop the throttle and it stops to quickly causing problems....... I'm sure this is something to get used to but I'm wondering how to make the effects less so if I jump off the throttle it doesn't make such a drastic change. (so you don't loose any track speed if you drop the throttle) I read in one of the magazines how if you weren't smooth on and off the throttle it was difficult to boondock because you couldn't stab it hard for a few seconds then off for a second then stab it again. if you did this it would stop when you dropped the throttle...... this doesn't sound so fun , not being able to brrrap off little things without worrying about the engine braking if you don't hold the throttle open a little bit . Some of the places we jump you want to let off the throttle a little before leaving the ground so you don't trench the edge of the hill or cornice or jump, and it gives you more momentum when leaving the jump in certain situations. If I have to stab the throttle until it's in the air it's going to rip the piss out of everything I jump off of. Maybe I'm misunderstanding this but it sounds pretty clear..... what can I do or buy to help this ?? THX everyone for always being so helpful ! :rocks:

You get used to it and it becomes better as the engine breaks in ,if you can't handle it you can change your clutching .Stiffer primary spring will help a lot, but will cost a little gas mileage.

stiffer primary spring

so if i run a stiffer primary spring what else will be effected, engagement rpm right ? By how much to help with the braking effect. Gas mileage isn't a huge issue, I'd rather have it comfortable then worry about a few miles per gallon. THX

Re: stiffer primary spring

alaskanbowtie said:
so if i run a stiffer primary spring what else will be effected, engagement rpm right ? By how much to help with the braking effect. Gas mileage isn't a huge issue, I'd rather have it comfortable then worry about a few miles per gallon. THX

It will raise engagement rpm ,and will cause a higher rpm range ,may need alittle more weight on the arms . I love'd the Heel clicker white spring with the turbo , but took it out because of gas mileage .The more miles I get on the engine the better the gas mileage has gotten , so I may put it back in.

So if I have it set up to engage at 4200 and top out at 10600 ,.....assuming it will climb to 10,800 after I get some miles on it will this help alot with the engine breaking effect, or do you mean an even higher engagement rpm say 4400 ? I'll have a shockwave helix so the top rpm's will be adjustable a little bit with this adjustable helix. I know it's not the fix all but it will give me a little bit of adjustability on top end (a couple hundred rpm's anyway) as needed and with elevation changes. What do you think the best engagement rpm would be to cut the braking effect and not be to much . This will be a stock sled with a pipe and ram air no turbo .

Re: stiffer primary spring

Turbo Tim said:
alaskanbowtie said:

It will raise engagement rpm ,and will cause a higher rpm range ,may need alittle more weight on the arms . I love'd the Heel clicker white spring with the turbo , but took it out because of gas mileage .The more miles I get on the engine the better the gas mileage has gotten , so I may put it back in.
>>>
how much do I need to raise it above stock to make a big difference in the engine braking effect ? 4200 ..... or more ? Anyone else have other suggestions ?

I dono, would like to find that out too.want to change mine plus it over revs, I dont know if this is common or if anyone else as this problem??

Since I picked up a left over 06(apex) at the end of year...I havent rode it yet therefore I have not experienced this "engine breaking" yet...and I am kinda nervous if I will like it or not. Some have mentioned that you/I will get used to it and/or as you get more miles on the sled it wont be as bad.

How many of you have done something to the clutching -vs- how many of you just left it alone and got used to the eng breaking. Being this is my and many others first 4 stroke...are we in for a big learning curve? I have read how some of you "hated" the sled the first couple of times out because of the engine breaking...well, what made you start to like it? As a whole, is there an advantage or disadvantage of the engine breaking? I guess what I am trying to get to is...was the "engine breaking" used or for that matter was it designed as an advantage for riders?

Do all 4-strokes have "engine breaking" or is it just Yamaha's 4 strokes.

Engine breaking rules.There will be a learning curve but i think it is great comming into the twisties puts a smile on my face i only hope no one is behind me cause there is not going to be a brake light on.

Put some miles on. Not only will you get used to it, but you will find that there are huge benefits when you learn to use it to your advantage. Also the effects are more pronounced on a new engine and will lessen a bit over time.

'Bowtie you are thinking like a 2 stroke rider with a narrow power band. These things have power all the way through the range, you dont need to spool it all the way back up to track spin mode to get the power back, its always there. Just learn to be smooth on the throttle, and don't use it like an on/off switch.

ski-bum said:
Put some miles on. Not only will you get used to it, but you will find that there are huge benefits when you learn to use it to your advantage. Also the effects are more pronounced on a new engine and will lessen a bit over time.

'Bowtie you are thinking like a 2 stroke rider with a narrow power band. These things have power all the way through the range, you dont need to spool it all the way back up to track spin mode to get the power back, its always there. Just learn to be smooth on the throttle, and don't use it like an on/off switch.
>>>
THX for the info , i'm sure I'll be happy just thought I would see if it was avoidable, or the best way to help this issue for those of us new to the 4 strokes.

The learning curve is about an afternoon of riding and then you will be glad you have it in the long run. If you ride a 4 stroke atv its a similar feeling.

What engine braking? Felt it first couple of rides seemed to go away after that.

Now how come I have to use the brakes so much on my two stoke? Whats up with that?

Sas,you most likey feeling it lessening and also getting used to it.
I feel it is a total advantage for a sled to have engine braking.Even makes loading up the susspension before jumping easier.You can get some good air out of a fourstroke if you know what your doing.

Mach1Mike said:
Sas,you most likey feeling it lessening and also getting used to it.

That was my tounge in cheek point. I have learned to use the throttle to to slow down. It is like an electric race car where ever you position the throttle is the speed you select. Don't want it to nose dive don't let off all the way. Want to slow down fast let off the throttle all the way.

I have learned to use the throttle to coast. I'd be suprized to hear that others don't do the same thing, mostly without thinking about it. Unlike a two stroke you don't snap the thottle shut and then jamb it back to the bar on every corner. You ease off before the corner and then get back on it again. You throttle brake intentionaly and only use your brakes as needed if at all.

The speed you slow down at is controlable by the throttle to its max limit, brakes are only needed past that rate of deacceleration.

Throttle braking is not something to be afraid of it is anouther tool added to the sled that is used to control the ride. You will get used to it very quickly. I love it and my brakes do as well.

Back