• We are no longer supporting TapaTalk as a mobile app for our sites. The TapaTalk App has many issues with speed on our server as well as security holes that leave us vulnerable to attacks and spammers.

error code 20 14 backfiring now.just running worse and worse

mark23ca

Veteran
looking for help ...it started out as just clicking a few times when it started ..thought it was the battery ..charged it up good was working good shut it off on a cold day for an hour or so..no fuel pump noise ..there was a code flashing but i didn't look ..it would just wurl and not start of course ..that nite did the same thing no pump..fipped the key on and off a few times again bang fuel pump ..started but no lights no beeper in reverse ..after a while lights came on and i went deep into the woods like an idiot thinking it would run..it did i got home but stupid thing to do

read a post on here about ground blocks and mosture ..soldered the wires together on the bad ones and greesed up the good ones .. greased every plug in on the sled i think ..replaced the moldy 40 amp fuse and inspected the plug ins on the starter relay ..looked ok so i greased em took it out nice warm day ran fine gorgeous thought i had it fixed ..

let er sleep outside that nite ..next morning got code 20 and no fuel pump again i swear i hear it click on and off but not hum or cycle ..got it running by flipping the key and it took off with no codes ....let er cool down just to see code 20 and no pump ddin't bother tyring to start it

started it tonight to put in the basement and work on it ...code 20 but fuel pump took right off ..started it up..takes three tries of starting and stalling and starting and stalling then starts at low idle .idles up and down up and dow.just driving it into the garage after letting it warm up enough so the red light turns off..but nowit backfires won't take its gas

retracing my wire fixes and stuff in the garage tonight .. everyone says its a lose wire or a ground and not a computer..i think its the computer...after i get the wires back together and checked out i'm going to put the computer in the freezer or out in a snowbank to see if it runs bad in the garage with the rest of the sled warm

has this happend to anyone else ..do these burn computers , and input would be greatly appreciated oh and here is the link for that ground block fix http://www.ty4stroke.com/viewtopic.php?t=83994

What sled are you working on?

The "clicking" and no start could be a bad starter relay. I had this happen on my 08 Vector. Had to cycle the key a few times before it would start.

On our TY Ride last year one sled had code 20 in the morning. As the day and sled warmed up the code went away. We think it was caused by moisture in the line for the atmos sensor.

Check this line or tube for moisture or ice blocking it or even ice or water on the sensor itself.

steiner said:

The "clicking" and no start could be a bad starter relay. I had this happen on my 08 Vector. Had to cycle the key a few times before it would start.

On our TY Ride last year one sled had code 20 in the morning. As the day and sled warmed up the code went away. We think it was caused by moisture in the line for the atmos sensor.

Check this line or tube for moisture or ice blocking it or even ice or water on the sensor itself.

its an o7 apex ..there was a little moisture in the the hoses but there always is when i take it apart ..did it make it run really really bad??

12326608885_bca1f96888_z.jpg

I had the same problem when I first got my 07 rtx and the dealer found a kinked hose. The code causes the ecu to default to sea level and it runs rich. Once corrected it never reappeared. Good luck!

yamahatd said:
I had the same problem when I first got my 07 rtx and the dealer found a kinked hose. The code causes the ecu to default to sea level and it runs rich. Once corrected it never reappeared. Good luck!
there is a little box 2 hoses plug into ..i noticed some greese in there ..must have sucked some in ..i did put some grease on the battery and plug ins arround the battery ..but the cover was on the battery ..things move arround and ninety miles an hour even greas on a cold day...i also took the whole wiring harness apart to fix those ground blocks...
as i was cutting wires to solder i noticed some were burnt black ..a ground wire when it is loose or hooked to something week it will over heat ..i've seen them catch fire on older fuel injected vehicles grounds for fuel pump relays ..i think if i fix these ground blocks and burn wires ..i've got a new to me ebay ecu ..i think i should be good to go ..

Attachments

• bad wire (2).gif
    bad wire (2).gif
    473 KB · Views: 150
steiner said:

Where is the line for the atmos sensor?? I have a cold start stumble when I pull the sled out of the garage from a ride the night before. Starts good for about 10 seconds, then goes into a low rough idle for 10 seconds, then recovers and runs fine. Wondering if I have moisture in the line?? No codes come up.

02xtreme said:
steiner said:

Where is the line for the atmos sensor?? I have a cold start stumble when I pull the sled out of the garage from a ride the night before. Starts good for about 10 seconds, then goes into a low rough idle for 10 seconds, then recovers and runs fine. Wondering if I have moisture in the line?? No codes come up.

i do believe the atmosphere sensor is bolted onto the steel bracket for the computer...witch is bolted to the very bottom of the battery tray ...little hard to get at ...i don't know why yamaha would put expensive parts where most of the snow is going to end up on the sled ..but to tell ya the truth they are all gonna run bad till that red warm up light comes off...

Hello all, hopefully someone will see this. I have a 2006 vector, took it to get it serviced and checked over before heading to the north woods of NH. It was running fine prior to service. Have a noise that is irritating when you let off the throttle. This is why I took the sled in. I guess there was a recall with something to do with the exhaust. I bought the sled used in 13 or so with 1953 miles on it. Embarrassed to say the start of the year was 2067 miles. The recall had been done so that was not the noise. Anyway, they changed the oil, put in 0-20, new belt, few other minor things. Unloaded the sled and 7 miles later it back fired and was idling up and down. Didn't get the rpm info. Turned key off for a few seconds, started up fine, idled fine and off we went. About a mile later, same thing, did this about 6 times. Came to a road crossing and said that was enough, went back to get truck and trailer. Called the dealer where it was serviced and dropped it there on the way back to Vermont. The three light gauges, left to right are temp, high beam and check engine. When you start the machine idles up and down and simply will not move, like it is not getting gas. The check engine lite is on and the far right light will flash two short flashes followed by a 3 second pause, again two short flashes and the 3 second pause. It continually flashes this sequence. In looking up the codes I am assuming there should be another series of flashing indicating a second digit. I think the first two flashes indicate a (2) I don't know if this is a 20 or 22 code. The codes I find are for the Apex and not vector, are they the same?

Thank you in advance so much.
Dave, 37 yr off grid

Back