• We are no longer supporting TapaTalk as a mobile app for our sites. The TapaTalk App has many issues with speed on our server as well as security holes that leave us vulnerable to attacks and spammers.

EXCELSIOR!! To YOU and Yamaha!!!

Toploader427

To EVERYONE that offered up advise in my previous post and to ANY and ALL whom read/reply to this.....

I made the 450 mile round trip to a norhtern michigan dealer on saturday and even with gas at 330 a gal, it was sooooo well worth it to finally sit my fanny on a new Vector and Apex. Keep in mind, I have not ridden anything newer than a 91 and have not ridden until this year... since 1974. I landed on the Vector first and as soon as I came to the first long straight on the trail, I stopped and just listened to it run for a minute. Nice, very nice sound, and no smell! I have never liked that loud high pitch sound coming from a 2 stroke and the smell, well, I guess I never had a problem with that. NAILED it from a dead stop and let me tell you...I was SHOCKED!. I could not believe how that 4 stroke engine responded and PULLED!!.... So now at this point, backing out of it after about 300 yards, all I am thinking of is.. turn around NOW!!!, go back to the dealer and get on the Apex! When I did the same thing with the Apex, and the ski's came off!!!...not to slight the Vector in any way... there was no question in my mind, even at 55 years old and being limited on bravery compared to when I was younger, I just shed 10 years off and could see myself exercising more to enjoy this awesome machine ... What a sled! WHAT A FREAKIN NICE RIDE AS WELL!!! Best riding most comfortable sled I could ever imagine. My brother went with me and he is AS dedicated a CAT lover as they come, and rightly so... he has been treated very well with his older cats. All of that to say, after he rode both machines as well, all HE talked about on the way home was how to finance a new Apex.?? He was VERY IMPRESSED! One of his riding buddies father had just jumped over from a Cat to an Apex and he had heard how happy he was with it from his son. So...all of that to ask you guys this... Do you all believe these new sleds are really worth what they are asking? I know, as long as they keep selling them they are worth what ever the market will bear.
However.... There are not many negative points about the sled itself other than the difficult oil change, and some steering issues (all with work arounds I'm sure) that turn me off toward it. But the sticker on it??? I have a very hard time justifying that kind of doe for a sled. Ten Seven-O-Four out the door at this dealer. Don't these manufactures see they are headed down the same dead end road as the auto and housing and every other industry that is hurting and going belly up???? 10-12 thousand dollars for a sled??? How many of US can they afford to price out of the market and still stay in biz?? And for that matter, how many people want to stay in the market even if the mileage is better on the new sleds when the costs of fuel see's no end??? It becomes a matter of "cost per mile" rather than "miles per gallon" after you factor everything else in for a weekend trip to the trail. Anyway.. . they must not be hurting to bad yet because of the 3 or 4 dealers I have visited in the last 2 months or so, only one of those had the "furniture salesman" attitude. They must make up for it in all their other sales, bikes, watercraft, etc. Even at these prices, that I do not like or agree with, I may have just become the best "LIVE" article of advertisement MR. Yamaha could ask for. Nothing but thumbs up :-o from ME on performance and ride even if it was not really a complete eval based on a full day, different conditions ride.I will have to go with you and your knowledge as far as quality which sounds equitable.
Thanks to all of you for this forum and your EXEMPLARY knowledge, opinions, and advise!!
EXCELSIOR 2 U !!!!!
:Rockon: :-o :Rockon: :-o :Rockon:

Randy
Novi, Mi

Nice post,.
If you need or want the newest sled available, you will have to pay for it , BUT, there are some excellent bargains on leftover 06, 07,& 08's.out there if you look around. You sound like you are willing to drive and that will give you more opportunities to find a great deal.
Here is one example.
http://www.highlandsyamaha.com/
Welcome back to the sport of snowmobiling, your story sounds very familiar as far as being away, and now coming back to find how awesome the new sleds are.
here is an ebayer in MI
http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/Brand-Ne ... 0035268288

I was one of those people that bought new ever couple of years..

But no more...

You can find such great deals on left over sleds..

You can pick up a NEW 07 apex for under $8K in wisconsin, Thats cheap when you figure sticker price is $10-$11K

It is nice to hear you enjoyed your ride. My dad got me into this sport when I was 4 and I wish that I was able to enjoy it with him still. I do understand your dilema with the price but, like SNOWAY mentioned Highlands Yamaha will have great prices on new, leftover sleds that will not break the bank. They still are not cheap but there are many used ones out there for decent prices also. The biggest item that you get when you buy new is the warranty. You can also look at buying a spring order where you will save also. Again, I would contact Highlands for price point. They are hard to beat. No matter what you choose I think that you will just appreciate to be back on a sled. Good luck in your quest.

Nice to read your "report" Toploader. Two years ago I too was having a real problem with that $10+grand figure. Yikes! Well after looking around, October 2006 I got a great deal on a leftover 06' Attak with some accessories, and a 5 year warranty for about $9K out-the-door. Still a lot of money for a sled but I justified it this way: First I love the sport, I'm able to get away to ride about 2,000 each year in the Eastern U.P., lower operating expences, and, this four-stroke should last longer then my previous 2-smokes. Seeing that I had paid about $7,000 out the door for a new 2002 ViperER (with 10K miles on it when I sold it) I thought the extra 2 grand for my Attak was a bargin, all things considered. There are enough 06 or newer sleds out there new and used - I'm sure there is one to fit your budget - GO 4 IT! You'll have no regrets!

I also used to buy new every 2 years, then decided that they were getting out of hand so I kept one for 4 years. This depressed me as I always need the top of the line. Well now what I do is, I have a friend who buys new for him and his wife every 2 years, so now I buy his wifes sled every 2 years and he uses mine as his trade at the dealers. It works out nice because I get a 2 year old sled with 3 years of warranty left and when it's time to trade, I can still get a good deal. Doing it this way, I upgrade bi-annually for around $3500. Plus, I know the sled I'm buying is in mint condition. :-o

Back