• We are no longer supporting TapaTalk as a mobile app for our sites. The TapaTalk App has many issues with speed on our server as well as security holes that leave us vulnerable to attacks and spammers.

Exhaust turnouts? Functional or not?

GT03235

Expert
What is the purpose on a lot of new especially after market mufflers with turnouts? Is it another way of trying to make it more quiet? or maybe with exhaust length for tuning purposes? or just cosmetic?

The biggest reason is to allow for the rear of the sled to be more functional, specifically on the longer track sleds - hot exhaust pouring out on a tunnel bag or gas cans is not exactly a good idea.

if you get stuck or are loading a trailer etc... I notice that the exhaust is deflected away from your face with the turn-out...

I just put one on my Nytro for that reason and will be putting one on my wife's phazer...

If your question is, "does it have to stay on to have the exhaust function as it should," then the answer is NO. Hack it off, the turn out has no factor in the exahust performance.

mach9 said:
Hack it off, gees...
Drill out the rivets much easier.

If he has an aftermark exhaust - ala Skinz Ultra/Super Q (GYTR) the trun out is part of the exhaust and is not just a rivited on accessory - this is why I said, "hack it off".

SMA-PHSIL-00-SL.jpg

Hindle Exhaust

I added a full Hindle exhaust and am experiencing a split second studder in the throttle when I give it gass. I am trying to figure out the cause. Does anyone have some input?

Re: Hindle Exhaust

00-NUKE said:
I added a full Hindle exhaust and am experiencing a split second studder in the throttle when I give it gass. I am trying to figure out the cause. Does anyone have some input?

dp a search on this site because this has been talked about quite a bit. It's do to a lean condition and should be corrected by adding a fuel programmer with the correct mapping. ;)!

GT03235 said:
What is the purpose on a lot of new especially after market mufflers with turnouts? Is it another way of trying to make it more quiet? or maybe with exhaust length for tuning purposes? or just cosmetic?
I have a bag on my xtx and without the turnout the corner of the bag melted. Ooops! The black #*$&@ all over the tunnel is a nice touch too.

Back