• We are no longer supporting TapaTalk as a mobile app for our sites. The TapaTalk App has many issues with speed on our server as well as security holes that leave us vulnerable to attacks and spammers.

Extra fuel storage in nose - Riding with REVs

True Blue said:
Hartman Tunnel extension and leave your
track alone. Then a Cross fire rack, set of
chrome tips & there you got an extra 3 gal. ;)!

TB

That looks like a nice setup but I think putting all of the weight (saddle bags, trunk bag, trunk, tunnel extension, fuel tank & me) at the back of a 121" skid would mess up the handling too much. Also, I'd like to keep the stock look if I can.

We found last season that with everything (less fuel) loaded at the back of the sled, the front end was too light and this made the Apex's tippy (lifting skis in corners). We compensated by tightening the limiter straps all the way when doing the long saddle bag trips (this made a huge improvement to stability - but distributing some of the extra weight to the front would be a better option).

Re: fuel cap

black john said:
try removeing that white sleve thats under the gas cap this will give you about 3 liter,s more gas czp. and when doing this move your fuel tank vent line from down the side of the sled to up under the handle bars. that sleve just pop,s out useing your fingers

We always remove these sleeves (and make sure we don't fill it right to the brim before parking the sleds...).

Without removing the sleeve we found Apex's have about 35 liters of useable fuel (about 7.8 Canadian gallons).

schmeg said:
The fuel ranges you stated seem unusually low. 140-160Km converts to 84-96 miles. The Apex has a 10.1 U.S. gallon tank. 14 MPG times 10 is 140 miles or roughly 220km. 16MPG will give you 240 Km. The Apex's you are talking about must be getting really bad fuel mileage, or I'm missing something.

The most we get in typical good riding conditions is about 180 km (not 160 km) or 113 miles. Maybe our Apex's are a little worse than yours, but in typical conditions, loaded up, we normally see about 14 mpg (Canadian gallons) which is about 12 mpg (US gallons). It's virtually impossible to use the entire 10 gallon tank (unless you run out) so if you plan to fill up with 1 US gallon left and are getting 12 mpg (US) your fuel range is 108 miles or 173 km. One time we babied the Apex's to see how far we could get and if I recall we did get close to 200 km or 125 miles. If you use the 9 gallon number this works out to 13.9 mpg (US) or 16.5 mpg (Canadian).

actionjack said:
I was thinking the same thing. I've been over 150 miles (pretty agressive) on a tank of gas. But I guess if you're breaking trail that would drop a good bit. Do like the look of the extension tho.

I find it hard to believe you can do over 150 miles to a tank while riding aggressively. We definitely can't.

Try to keep track of of far you actually go between fillups and I think you'll be surprised at how few miles you do. You always need to fill up before the tank is empty so you can't use all 10 US gallons.

Essentially what we find is the Apex's can pretty much make it between all fill up stations in decent riding conditions. They are very regularly getting lower than our comfort level, but for the most part they make it (with the low fuel light on for many miles). Once you throw in a recent heavy snow fall or taking a wrong turn somewhere, the Apex's are right on the edge. Most of the time we make it, but the Apex's I ride with ran out at least 5 times last season. No one else on 1-2 year old sleds did.

Doug said:
Just a couple things that popped into my mind after reading the topic:

The All stock Rev 600 HO (non SDI) we ride with only gets 10 mpg US, easy 50 mph cruising in the U.P. It's only got 1,500 miles on it, rings bad already?

I was checking it out, and there is a ton of unused space inside the front shock mount casting. Some type of bladder that you could get in there, or a custom molded tank that could be put in there (you would have to split the two casting halves apart) would be awesome.

I think I read here on TY that the stock 150 motors run rich. Maybe a fuel contoller to lean 'em out could improve mileage?

My Attak feels pretty light in the back, and pretty heavy in the front. Maybe it would be a good idea to put the extra fuel weight on the back?

The guy with the 600 HO actually never joined us on any really long trips so I'm taking his word that he can do over 200 km on a tank and gets 14-15 mpg. He hasn't had any fuel issues riding the local trails with us. The 800 HO definitely does and the SDI motors (600 and 1000) are amazing on fuel.

There is a ton of unused space. The problem is how to make use of it safely. I've thought about having a custom aluminum tank welded up, but I don't feel all that comfortable with the idea. I'm going to look into the options (aluminum tank, pre-moulded plastic tank, etc.) some more...

I don't know if leaning the 150 hp motor out a little might help fuel economy or not. Has anyone tried going into diagnostic/tuning mode and leaning out the low speed settings a little?

The Apex's feel light in the back until you mount the saddle bags and a trunk bag. After that it's on the light side for the front end and we have to tighten the limiter straps to keep the handling decent.

Re: gas capcitiy

black john said:
or you could make your own by takeing a NEW 2 gallon can and molding in to shape with a heat gun. and if you both that would realy give lots of capcitiy. then just run the vent line into the jerry can via one of those adapores that are sold to hook a jerry can to an out board moter.

Hmmm. That's an interesting idea. Have you tried this before?

studdog said:
I've used many of tour buddy tanks over the years. If Chris made one for the Attak that fit in somewhere neat I'd buy it in a heartbeat. That said, Yamaha should increase fuel capacity on all sleds by 2 gallons. Problem solved for us long range tourers. I expect it's the dreaded weight issue that prevents that. It's time everyone got over the "weight" thing. My Attaks are by far the best overall sleds on the market! Maybe it's also time to get rid of the rear exhaust so a useful rack can be installed!

Give Chris a call at 888-244-1112 or e-mail him at tourbuddyinfo@yahoo.ca

Maybe if enough of us ask they'll decide to make the tank for us.

I totally agree with you on the extra 2 gallons from Yamaha. 2 extra gallons would make a huge difference. I don't see why manufacturers don't advertise a wet sled weight with say 1 or 2 gallons in the tank. This way the size of the tank will have little effect on wet weight and they can also boast about the fuel range.

welterracer said:
Gas only weights 6.1 pounds per gallon..

I wouldnt worry abut hurting the extension.. They just dont want you to stand on it..

I understand what you're saying as far a being lite weight, however with a couple gallons of fuel back there coupled with any vertical down force from rough trails, I imagine it could stress it more than the manufactures anticipated.

If not, I may just opt for that Crossfire mod.

Jon

Fuel Economy

Just new to the Yamaha court. I am impressed. Just thought I'd throw in my dimes worth. Just ran the first tank of fuel through my 07 Attack GT. I was breaking trail through fresh snow about 8 inches. I got to 85 miles with my fuel light on for the last 3 or 4. In Canadian gallons, it works out to approxomately 11.5 mpg. I'm not paying too close attention to this as yet because I didn't measure what it took to fill the tank. But comparing it to my 800 zl, it did drink a little heavy. Hopefully this will improve. I also woud buy an extra two gallon tank in a heart beat. :rocks:

When the sled is new (unbroken in) they do drink more fuel as the engine is very tight..

My first tank i only got 10mpg... after that 14-16..

I never went more than 100miles on a tank before the light came on..

I ride with a Zr800 EFI.. they get about the same or a little less MPG than the apex.. THe heavier the rider the worse the gas milage

welterracer said:
When the sled is new (unbroken in) they do drink more fuel as the engine is very tight..

My first tank i only got 10mpg... after that 14-16..

I never went more than 100miles on a tank before the light came on..

I ride with a Zr800 EFI.. they get about the same or a little less MPG than the apex.. THe heavier the rider the worse the gas milage

Brian, it sounds like your not really getting 14-16 mpg...

The light comes on when there's about 1.5 gallons left so from a full tank you've gone through roughly 8.5 US gallons. 100 miles / 8.5 US gallons = 11.75 mpg. Right in line with what we've measured.

If you really take it easy on very hard packed trails with a dusting of snow for lube I suspect 14-16 mpg (US) is possible. Your ~12 mpg (US) or 14 mpg (Cdn) with the light turning on before 100 miles is typical of what we see.

I still have the white thing in my tank.. so i am not getting over 10 gallons in it..

I should have said i dont try and go over 100 miles on a tank without really looking for a gas station...

SOmetimes my light would come on ... and then go out..

Ive only had the light come on 2 or 3 times.. THe Cats i ride with cant go more than 100 miles on a tank..

I guess I'll have to watch my mileage better this year, but I am pretty sure on 16 mpg. Rode with another TY member in QC in March and he was getting better economy than me, and we were not riding easy.

For this thread it doesn't really matter what mileage we're getting. Anywhere from 12-16 (US) (or 14-19 Cdn) is in-line with what we've seen or expect depending on conditions and riding style.

Whatever the actual fuel economy there just isn't enough range to always be completely comfortable knowing you'll make it to the next fuel stop (again depending on conditions and how your riding). This is one luxury that my buddies on SDI powered REVs do have over us (and I want it too...).

In my 29 years of sledding I can always remember being in situations where we're worried about making it to the next fuel stop. It seems to be a part of sledding (a part that I'd be happy to get rid of...).

One thing that's making this more of a problem in very recent years is a lot of the little "Indian" fuel stops between distant towns up North are not always open (especially during the week). I spoke to some of the guys running these and they said with the majority of sleds running these trails having huge fuel range (REVs, Vectors and RX-1s) business was slowing down.

I've decided that one way or another I will install something (most likely in the nose) that will hold 2 or more gallons of fuel.

I want it to be a bolt in installation, ideally without any drilling and I want to be able to remove it easily.

I've been researching materials and polyethylene is probably the best, but it needs fairly expensive tooling to properly form it. For a custom solution 0.125" thick aluminum looks like the best material.

Here is a link I found that presents research on tank failures (http://www.uscgboating.org/recalls/pdfs/BSC79.pdf). I also did a bunch of reading on aluminum fuel cells (auto racing) and it doesn't sound to difficult to make a safe aluminum auxiliary fuel tank.

Again, anyone interested in purchasing an auxiliary fuel tank for your Apex, Attak, RX-1, Vector, or Nytro send an e-mail to tourbuddyinfo@yahoo.ca. Maybe they'll decide to make one for us.

We also might be able to get several custom aluminum tanks made up if your interested. I'm going to call some shops tomorrow.

Back