• We are no longer supporting TapaTalk as a mobile app for our sites. The TapaTalk App has many issues with speed on our server as well as security holes that leave us vulnerable to attacks and spammers.

Extra fuel storage in nose - Riding with REVs

After all this theo only thing I can't figure out is how that 800HO is getting that good of gas mileage?

I had one and never saw that good.

One thing about the 600SDI.....it gets great mileage on trails where you are 3/4 throttle and less. Anything over 3/4 throttle it sucks it back.

REX, I sent Chris an e-mail as you suggested. Nose cone is a great olace for tank since it draws fuel from aux tank first. Kep me posted. Thanks

rxwonder said:
After all this theo only thing I can't figure out is how that 800HO is getting that good of gas mileage?

I had one and never saw that good.

One thing about the 600SDI.....it gets great mileage on trails where you are 3/4 throttle and less. Anything over 3/4 throttle it sucks it back.

The 800HO isn't all that good on fuel. I'd say it's probably a little better than the Apex, but the big thing going for it is the larger fuel tank. I've seen 45 liters (12 US gallons) go into it compared to a max of 37 liters (9.7 US gallons) in the Apex (after running out). 22% more fuel available...

True Blue said:
Hartman Tunnel extension and leave your
track alone. Then a Cross fire rack, set of
chrome tips & there you got an extra 3 gal. ;)!

TB

Where did you get the turned out chrome tips? Would like to get the rack if I can find some turned out tips.

Hartman Tunnel extension and leave your
track alone. Then a Cross fire rack, set of
chrome tips & there you got an extra 3 gal

I doubt if a 10' closed trailer will accomodate the extra length. Would depend on the cover style. Otherwise I like the idea.

Guys the extension will actually equal the weight of the factory
extension if you have a Attak , as far as it being tail heavy
or tippy i don't understand? If you were carrying extra gas before
on the runner boards and tied on some other way then this solution will
actually give you a better centre of gravity. The exhaust tips were
from Canadian Tire and the rack a Artic Cat Cross Fire in all the total
for a 136" or 144" extension setup should cost around $400 and look
at the comforts you end up with. Hartman extension is the best for
fitment, quality and look .... ;)! Like i said before i done this to my
last RX1 Mtn as well and would not have asked for a better solution and
this will be going on my Phazer Mtn as well !

TB

Friend of mine carried approx 20-25# on the extension, ended up bending the tunnel extension which gouged his track. I think that if you build a propper sopport bracket, it won't bend. I'm going to build one when I have some time.

01S XR700 said:
Friend of mine carried approx 20-25# on the extension, ended up bending the tunnel extension which gouged his track. I think that if you build a propper sopport bracket, it won't bend. I'm going to build one when I have some time.

was that on an attak or was it an aftermarket extension?

True Blue said:
Guys the extension will actually equal the weight of the factory
extension if you have a Attak , as far as it being tail heavy
or tippy i don't understand? If you were carrying extra gas before
on the runner boards and tied on some other way then this solution will
actually give you a better centre of gravity. The exhaust tips were
from Canadian Tire and the rack a Artic Cat Cross Fire in all the total
for a 136" or 144" extension setup should cost around $400 and look
at the comforts you end up with. Hartman extension is the best for
fitment, quality and look .... ;)! Like i said before i done this to my
last RX1 Mtn as well and would not have asked for a better solution and
this will be going on my Phazer Mtn as well !

TB

I don't think the weight distribution would be as much of a problem on mountain or longer track sleds, but on a 121" I can tell you for certain that a loaded pair of saddle bags combined with a loaded trunk bag definitely screws up the handling and causes lots of ski lift in corners (as well as huge wheelies off the line if you punch it). We didn't carry any extra fuel last season (and the Apex's ran out too often for comfort since I'll be on one this season).

The saddle bag and trunk bag are heavier than 2-3 gallons of fuel, but I already have too much weight at the back so any extra weight needs to go towards the front.

Also, in the front you can mount the auxiliary tank to the frame very close to where the shock mounts are. It's a strong, easy to use area and all you need is a tank to fit in. Yamaha sells a nose bag that fits lots of stuff that also fits there, but I already have enough storage. I need fuel.

The tour buddy tanks typically sell for about $240 Canadian complete with everything you need. I'm guessing that a custom aluminum tank will cost more than that, but it will probably won't be much more a tunnel extension and fuel tank.

I am also concerned with bending the tunnel if I place more weight hanging off the rear. Some of the guys I know around here bent their tunnels last season on their 06 GT's when their shocks failed. The tunnels don't seem to have a huge amount of extra strength over what they need for a healthy stock sled. They aren't designed for extra weight hanging off the back.

Apsterbobed said:
01S XR700 said:

was that on an attak or was it an aftermarket extension?

That was on the stock Attak extension.

My g/f has a 03 rev with a 600 ho, it gets great milage, as good as some sdi rev we have ridden with.
We all go to fillup Im within a dollar of them in Can. funs .
I changed the gear in my Apex and lost top end and fuel milage too.
Its now at the dealers getting serviced and back to stock gear.

Apexaholic said:
My g/f has a 03 rev with a 600 ho, it gets great milage, as good as some sdi rev we have ridden with.
We all go to fillup Im within a dollar of them in Can. funs .
I changed the gear in my Apex and lost top end and fuel milage too.
Its now at the dealers getting serviced and back to stock gear.

did you go up a gear or down a gear?

Back