• We are no longer supporting TapaTalk as a mobile app for our sites. The TapaTalk App has many issues with speed on our server as well as security holes that leave us vulnerable to attacks and spammers.

extreme cold starting attakgt

snappy

Expert
I have a 2007 attak gt with 9700 miles with a bone stock engine. This past weekend in St.Zenon quebec it was around -30 sunday and monday morning. Both days one of our 3 attakgt's flooded and took about an hour to get going . It seems best to crank with no throttle and as soon as it starts crack the throttle open a hair to keep it running. It is a fine line and very easy to flood in these temps. Any suggestions?

Do exactly what your doing. Keep your hand off the throttle untill it fires then crack the throttle just enough to keep it running.

When its that cold outside the fuel injection is giving it a ton of fuel to fire off. When it fires you have to give it that extra air by opening the throttle to stay running or it will flood. Eric

Yeah, do NOT touch that throttle until the light goes out. When it's cold out turn the key on and off three times, but DON'T start the engine (just to the position that turns the gauges and fuel pump on). This ensures that there is enough fuel pulled through the lines so you don't have to keep cranking the engine. I do this and she starts right up everytime

park out of the wind helps if you cant cover it, mine has started no probs in -30 and colder when i park it out of the wind behind my house, left it directly in the wind yeah hour to get going

I had this same problem Sunday morning in st zenon! -32 the night before turned key primed pump until it stopped then started to crank! Sled would not fire and eventually ran out of battery! I will be getting a new battery but to get it going we had boost it and us a hair dryer into the air box to warm it up. Did i flood the machine? I though with fuel injected machines you dont need to touch the throttle to start on cold mornings? little disappointed coming from an RX-1 that started at these temps!

the hair dryer in the air box was a BAD idea. That will majorly effect the air temp sensor moutned in the air box. The air temp sensor is the primary function for fuel control on start up. Eric

Bad idea or not the sled started and got me out of a jam! I directed the air more toward each intake runner than directly at the sensor. Still dont know if i was getting to much fuel or not enough. It was cough like it was not getting enough fuel and when it did start rpm was around 1000 until it ran for a bit.

I'm just jealous you guys got to ride around St. Zenon! Some great trails around there, can't wait to go back! :Rockon:
Don't often have to start in that cold temperature but have had to slightly open the throttle once she fires to keep her running.

They were definetly flooded we were wondering if it was smoke or raw fuel coming out of the exhaust so I threw a lit match in the exhaust and got some very cool flames coming out!

Snappy did your sled actually run on its own before you cracked the throttle a litlle? Or did you crank with the throtlle open a bit to get it to life? Mine would run on one or 2 cyls only when cranking. As soon as i let go of the starter it would die.

On sunday morning -27 I cycled the pump cranked it without touching the throttle it ran rough for about 5 or 10 seconds then it was flooded. On monday morning -30 I cycled the pump cranked it and as soon as it started at all I cracked the throttle and kept it running . My bud with the same sled did the same it started on sunday flooded on monday.

This happened to us on the weekend. Minus 30 and 3 Apex's would not run. All started and ran for about 10 seconds, then died and would not restart. Poured hot water on the coolant line/thermostat and they all fired right up. Kind of a sad day for us as a lot of other sleds around starting, only seeme to be apex with the issue. Next time I'll try cracking the throttle just a bit.

Sounds like we have different problems because my did not run on its own at all. I think likely the battery just fell on its face!

Back