• We are no longer supporting TapaTalk as a mobile app for our sites. The TapaTalk App has many issues with speed on our server as well as security holes that leave us vulnerable to attacks and spammers.

Fill me in over the past 6 years.....

I have been out of sledding since 2006 (moved away and no time). I last owned a 2003 RX1 and 01 SRX.

I moved back to the snowbelt and went looking at new sleds and almost fell over with 14k prices on the new Apex's, which came out in 2006 when I got out of riding.

I have seen used 06 Apex's with 3k miles or less with prices from $4500 to $5500.

SO.....what changes have been made in the last 6 years that would warrant someone paying 10k more for a new 12 than a gently used 06?????

redtailshark2000 said:
I have been out of sledding since 2006 (moved away and no time). I last owned a 2003 RX1 and 01 SRX.

I moved back to the snowbelt and went looking at new sleds and almost fell over with 14k prices on the new Apex's, which came out in 2006 when I got out of riding.

I have seen used 06 Apex's with 3k miles or less with prices from $4500 to $5500.

SO.....what changes have been made in the last 6 years that would warrant someone paying 10k more for a new 12 than a gently used 06?????

A partial list of the changes include:
1. Power steeering
2. EXUP -- exhaust valve gas system designed for more power
3. Taller Seat
4. BNG -- Bold New Graphics
5. Better hand warmers (allegedly)
6. A few versions of new skis
7. A 144" version called the XTX
8. A luxury version called the SE which had Fox Floats all around
9. No 121" track or 136" versions (the old Attak or LTX), it's now 128" long
10. The plastics are different from the air box up

Go with 07-10 Apex Attak or LTX save some bucks & all use regular gas. If you find you have to have EPS then move up or hope Yam comes out with an all new clean sheet platform that trims some weight. All Apex strong performers & hold up very well to trail use for many 1000s of miles.

A gently used (as you said) machine can be a fantastic way to go without dumping a lot of cash. Had I not come across a smoking deal on my 2011, I would be riding my 2007 attak (136" track version) again this season. I bought the 11 (barely used) mid summer and this week sold my 07 for nearly the same money.

My 07 was "mint" and if you can find something like it you can be confidently back on the trails for far less money than buying new.

I will continue to buy slightly used, although it sometimes requires patience to find the right deal.

FWIW

Lots of improvements that are hard to see, later models have a much stronger rear susp. front arm and stronger driveshaft and additional bearing. My advise is to find a 09/10 as they are the better "old style" apex.

There are deals to be had on leftovers also, might be something to look into. I bought my Apex in August and got a great deal. Hardest part has been looking at it for the last 2 months in the garage! :yam:

I agree with Doug. I bought my 11 XTX with 335 miles on it, for way less than list. It's a MUCH more refined sled than my 06. Worth the extra coin? If you can afford it, yes. BUT, I can roll just as fast on the 06 and run 87 fuel. But the EPS is the real deal, the motor is more powerful with the same mpg, and the wind protection with the stock height windshield is impressive. The handwarmers DO work, at least as well as my 06 with a Yamaheater box. Seat is better, overall handling is better. Tough decision, but if money is tight, the 07-10 is just fine, aswhiedust stated.

Re: updates

redtailshark2000 said:
Thanks for all the information guys. The bottom line is: Do you think these updates are worth an extra $10k. You can do a lot with 10k....
considering I just traded up from an o7 gt to 2012 xtx well worth the money. there are things that you are not going to fix about the 06-09 machinesand options you wont be able to put in even if you spent the extra on upgrades.

redtailshark2000 said:
Thanks for all the information guys. The bottom line is: Do you think these updates are worth an extra $10k. You can do a lot with 10k....

I'm the ultimate Apex afficianado and I'm still on the fence whether extra cost to get a 2012 or newer is justified. Hence, why I have not yet upgraded.

All the extras are nice, but... let your budget be your guide. I'm still on my 06 Attak with 13,000+ miles and plan to ride it for a few more years. Just can't justifiy at least $8,000 out-of-pocket right now. If money were no object... well that's a different story.

redtailshark2000 said:

If you have an extra $10K sure 2013 it is a new sled but if not $10K is a lot of lean green for 90 days use & hoping you have good snowfall. 07-10 Apex LTX rock solid sleds that use regular gas, good ride, good engine & why most 06-10 Attak/LTX owners are not buying the new Apex 2011-2013 XTX or SE just too expensive. The MSRP for what you get is holding many of us back & hoping for new platform tha never comes.lol To me a low mile Apex LTX will keep up with any brand new 800 2s on the market. 4s Turbos not so much but turbo adding many more ponies. For me the Attak 4 holer running regular gas 150ish HP plenty for me. I would be happy with 140-145ish HP new platform that uses regular gas but weighs a lot less. I know you are just coming back into the market but you are asking the price question that we all kicked around for years & sales of 2011-2013 XTX or SE are not brisk. I was just at Super dealer in snow belt & he did not even have 2013 Apex on floor yet but had lots of 2012s non currents for sale.

Back