• We are no longer supporting TapaTalk as a mobile app for our sites. The TapaTalk App has many issues with speed on our server as well as security holes that leave us vulnerable to attacks and spammers.

Final Consensus on jackshaft and bearing

rbig18

Pro
Country
USA
Snowmobile
SR Viper ltx se
I have 2400 miles on my 14 Viper and plan on changing the wobble bearing and bushing this year. I would prefer to install a final solution that prevents needing to do this so often. So which makes more sense to install? Order the 2017 Jackshaft and bearing (eliminating the Wobble Bearing) or go with the 2016 Jackshaft and keep the wobble bearing?

It would seem going the 2017 route would make the most sense since the wobble bearing is the cause of most issues. Will the 2017 setup fit right in? I heard something about about the Chain case being different.

Thank for any help from those that have gone through this.

I am going to 17 setup this spring. It’s time to rid sled of that wobble bearing even though no failure for 17000mi

You will have to do a write up with pictures cannondale as I plan to convert to the 2017 parts also. I enjoy your write ups very helpful!!

See my post "updating to 2017 or newer chain case - warning " for one surprise I ran into. Don't buy new either. Get your parts from Travis at Barn of Parts.

I do but I am at work right now. I will put the list together after I get back from my scout meeting tonight.

If you go to a 2017 Viper or 'Winder parts schematic and choose the "Track Drive 2" schematic you will need (1) of Item #1, (2) each of Item #'s 16, 17, 18 ,19 and then you need to get (24) of the M6 x 2.0 x 24mm bolts Item #38. The bolts that thread into the inner case securing it to the chassis and those that secure the outer case cover/oil tank to the inner case were changed from M6 x 1.0 x 20mm used on the pre-2017 chain cases to the M6 x 2.0 x 24mm. 2017 was the first year they used this new bolt in the chain case. All other internal parts and the outer cover that the oil tank is bolted to are the same back to 2014.

Last edited:
As far as I know there is no need to replace the inner chaincase half if you do this (see below).

If you go with the 2017 jackshaft, you should be able to use a 4mm spacer to take up the gap between the bearing and the clip groove in the inner chaincase half (which is machined in for the wider wobble bearing) since the newer bearing is 2mm narrower. I will likely install a 17 Sidewinder jackshaft in my 15 Viper before next season and that is what I plan on doing. I found that internal retaining ring #98455A384 from McMaster-Carr has a relaxed diameter of 62.2mm and is 2mm thick. The newer bearing is a 6206 and is 62mm diameter. I plan on using 2 of those retain rings as spacers to achieve the 4mm spacer that I need. This would mean (in order) bearing in inner chaincase half, then 2 of the McMaster-Carr retaining rings, then the original bearing retainer clip.

https://www.mcmaster.com/98455a384

I think it would work just fine . That is what I am going to try this summer. Not sure what I am going to use as the spacer yet . Like twiztid said the snap rings he listed should work.

I'm going with the 2017 / 2018 jackshaft and the 6202 bearings on each end ,spacer on chain case side and go from there. Only one way to find out for sure is to try it.

Back