• We are no longer supporting TapaTalk as a mobile app for our sites. The TapaTalk App has many issues with speed on our server as well as security holes that leave us vulnerable to attacks and spammers.

First ride of the year

polarisconvert

TY 4 Stroke Junkie
Country
USA
Snowmobile
2005 Yamaha RX1
Ted Jennety Clutching, jetting, air box mod.
Arctic Cat Z1 Turbo 128" Rear Suspension
128" Hacksaw 1" track.
Heated seat
Well it is the night before heading out for my first ride of the year on my new to me 05 RX1. I have put about 80 miles on it around my house and so far I love the sled but can't wait to trail ride it.
Also going to get in a little racing. I have only race two sleds. First one was against my sons 340 Enticer. We only raced for about 100 ft. Little stinker beat me, at least he thinks he did. Next race was against a friend 98 SRX with a 780 BB. He dosn't hook very well and I had no problem with hiim from a stand still or a roll.
I will be running a lake ported 98 SRX that runs very hard, a SX 700, lake ported and piped, heads and so on and the last one I don't stand a chance, a 2001 MXZ 890 BB that is a animal. This sled run down my HTG 900 Ultra after 110 mph last year. My friends 21 year old, 120 lb daughter drives it. She has been kicking my butt sense she was 15 years old. Time for a turbo.
Any how going for 3 days and can't wait. Hope it runs good.
Bruce

Good luck with the SRX. You know your stock (yea right) sled is fast when you can beat a SRX. Give em hell!! :nos I hope

First ride

We put on about 230 miles this weekend. I averaged 14 mph with allot of on off gas and some high speed drags.

Things I liked about the sled.
- I really like the electric start and reverse. I know it is not that big a deal, but I never had a sled with it and it is sweet.
- I thought about a aftermarket exhaust for some time but read post from several people that took them back off because they were too loud. - Well I am very glad I left mine stock. With the air box mod, this sled sounds mean but not annoying.
- I have a Ted Jennety clutch kit, air box mod, and jetting/carb springs from him. All I can say is I think Ted nailed it! The sled runs very good. The rpms are right on the money from bottom to top end, what ever that is. I never had a place long enough to top it out but it pulled 119 on the DM and still cliimbing.
- I raced a the 98 SRX that is lake ported and is a great running sled but the owner put on a 1.25 Ripsaw track and no studs so on the road it was no match and not showing its true colors. But I raced his brothers SX700 that also has lake porting and pipes ect.... When the SRX was studded it would pull the SX by a couple sleds, I pulled ithe SX by 10 or more.
I would have him hit the gas then I would and could drive by him no problem.

Now on to the BB MXZ 800.
- It has a 870 Crank Shop BB with twins and a light weight girl that drives it. We hit it on the rail road bed up to about 80 mph and she had a half of a sled on me. On the hard pack road she had 4 sleds on me at 115 mph on my speedo. She has more studs and some are chissels and she hooks very good. I have a 144 down the middle and even with my transfer adjusted all the way I spin like crazy out of the hole. I either need more adjustment or more studs or both. The SX also hooked much better than me and his studs were not very good.

Things I didn't like are the track howl.
- Almost takes the fun out of a awesome sled.
- Hand warmers are almost not there. I do have the hooks, wonder if this it taking away my heat.
- Sled rides ok but not as good as I expected the way evey body talks about the 05 skid. Bottoms out very easy, not fun when trails are bad. I have not tried to adjust it yet so it might get better.
- My brake lights don't work, they look like they are stuck on, I will have to look into that.
- The motor is the best part about this sled. It flat out rocks with very little money spent on mods. Plus it does not act like a modded two stroke. No dead or flat spots in throttle. While crusing, throttle is very easy and consistent. Power is always on tap and hits hard at all time.
- The sled did alot better in deep powder than I thought it would. Never got stuck and seemed to move around in powder (about 2') very good.
I run the sled on a large lake this morning. There was not a good hard packed area. When running in loose snow I was not worried about working the motor too hard and eating a piston. I have never been the kind to leave it pined for a long time but this motor takes some of the worry away.

Over all very happy with the sled, but I need to fine tune and fix some things that I didn't like. Sure wish I could of found some other sleds to run to measure my sled by but it just didn't happen. Open to suggestions on what I should do.
Bruce

About your brake lights, I had the same thing happen on my wifes Venom. Take your handlebar cover off and find the brake light wire and follow it up to the brake handle. Where that wire ends can be adjusted. Just loosen the phillups screw if its not already loose and you can rotate that little assembly. Keep an eye on your brake light so as to when it goes off and just your tail light is on. Then just tighten that screw nice and tight. Probelm solved.

Edit

Thanks for who ever edited my post. I was in a hurry this morn but that looks just like I wanted to do it.
Bruce

Bruce Glad to here you like your 05 rx-1. I have one also. Its an 05ER shorty in candy red. I am running 196 studs in mine and it hooks up like a dragster. Have'nt had any of the sleds i run with jump me off the line. As for the track howl and the ride. As far as i'm concerned the mono suspension sucks. Totally destroyed mine in 2000 miles. And i mean wasted. Broken at every weld where the shock hooks into the front arm. Also blew the transfer rod welds out. This summer put in an M-10 rear and piggy back olins with the 12 millimeter torsion rod in the front. WooHoo totally different sled. Handle ride you name it. Also a pleasant surprise was the track howl seems to be gone. Your right about that engine. I would'nt own anything else. Everything is stock for this year. I figured suspension first then mess with the power. Next year clutching and air kit.
ERN

Back