• We are no longer supporting TapaTalk as a mobile app for our sites. The TapaTalk App has many issues with speed on our server as well as security holes that leave us vulnerable to attacks and spammers.

SX Venom - first year issues

yeloshak

Country
USA
Snowmobile
2021 Snoscoot, 2021 SX Venom Mountain (coming soon)
Brand new here, but I learned a lot from the few posts already.

We play in the mountains between Lake Tahoe and Yosemite in California. Our place is at 7500'.

Last year I picked up a 2021 Snoscoot for my 10 year old and we had a great winter! Its way more capable off trail than we had hoped and its impossible to get into a situation I cant just yank it out of. Ive been learning to mountain ride on a skidoo XM800/163 and frankly its a lot of sled for me as a beginner.

So, as the season approaches, I really regretted not spring checking a SX Venom M / AC Blast M. I figured I could use it for a season or 2 to skill up and then get back on my big sled just as my kid grows into it. Thanks to the magic of the internet, I found a left over 2021 at a dealer and made a deal.

Then I started reading about first year issues like
1. clutching issue (seems solvable with the pennies, but I wonder how many I need at altitude)
2. the starter issue - this looks more serious as I haven't see a discussion on how to keep the Bendix from getting chewed up.
3. what else am I missing?

The biggest issue for me is there arent any Yamaha snowmobile dealers anywhere near me if things go wrong.

We play in the mountains between Lake Tahoe and Yosemite in California. Our place is at 7500'.

Last year I picked up a 2021 Snoscoot for my 10 year old and we had a great winter! Its way more capable off trail than we had hoped and its impossible to get into a situation I cant just yank it out of. Ive been learning to mountain ride on a skidoo XM800/163 and frankly its a lot of sled for me as a beginner.

So, as the season approaches, I really regretted not spring checking a SX Venom M / AC Blast M. I figured I could use it for a season or 2 to skill up and then get back on my big sled just as my kid grows into it. Thanks to the magic of the internet, I found a left over 2021 at a dealer and made a deal.

1. clutching issue (seems solvable with the pennies, but I wonder how many I need at altitude)
2. the starter issue - this looks more serious as I haven't see a discussion on how to keep the Bendix from getting chewed up.

The biggest issue for me is there arent any Yamaha snowmobile dealers anywhere near me if things go wrong.
I am hoping @cannondale27 will see this. He would be the guy to talk with.

I would run it at Altitude before touching the clutching it might be fine. Don’t forget there is a break in period which greatly effects rpm,oil and power also. The Bendix issue is something I am working on. Some guys have added a washer to get more spring pressure. I am replacing whole thing. Parts sure look different but won’t know for sure till apart. Will do write up. With pics.

Attachments

• E6D28EA2-77D5-4253-8EC7-E536D535E916.jpeg
    E6D28EA2-77D5-4253-8EC7-E536D535E916.jpeg
    136.3 KB · Views: 172
Sled is here, snow is here, and this weekend we will find out...

Any recommendations on the engine break-in besides RTFM?

Once I am past that, what I am looking for on the clutching to see if it is OK at altitude or if I need to add 12 cents.

Does anyone know what the sales numbers were for this class of sled? To me it was missing in everyone manufactures line up

I don’t know the numbers. But what I do know they are are great transition sled. Started my seven year old on it a year ago. It was a little big and intimidating for him. by the end of the winter he could handle it like a pro. This winter he’s amazing on it.

It kinda suck s the little issues we’ve been having but really never lost any rides. The size of these sleds with the way they handle are perfect for. A 90lbs + kid he watch’s his older brother and try’s to and does what he does.

PS : he’s been riding a sled six years

Back