• We are no longer supporting TapaTalk as a mobile app for our sites. The TapaTalk App has many issues with speed on our server as well as security holes that leave us vulnerable to attacks and spammers.

floats vs. gytr vs. stock shocks

MightyRTX said:
sledboy, it was my Attak Dirk rode and they were from an Apex GT. I wouldn't say they rode like crap, but they didn't offer anything over my stock shocks so I put the stockers back on and sold the piggybacks. I did notice that the stockers seemed to ride more plush.
As far as the floats go, the engineer I spoke with that puts many thousands of miles on test sleds every year said that the Floats are hands down the favorite of all the test riders. He also said that he hasn't had one Float failure in the several years of testing them. He also caid that there is an internal change to the Floats Yamaha uses. It was a design change that Yamaha engineers actually came up with. Something to do with their reliability and durability.

Compared to stock they were Harsh and you felt a lot of feedback in the handle bars. In my book they were crappy. Even worse on Tims with the stiffer Sway bar

the compression was probaly turned up too much I think they ride nice you just have to dial them in.In the rough stuff I love the float's I never reall got to try them on a smooth groomed trail though

love my floats , but I like a firm ride, without any body roll.

the floats will do this but have to be about 85 lbs , thus giving a firm felling in the bars if you hit a large hole , however they will not bottom !!! , or let the sled roll on corners !

I have been interested in floats on my attak. I really like the stock setup in small and medium bumps, but bottom frequently in really rough. The stock shocks track the front end well from a handling perspective with minimal body roll.

My concern with the floats is with the pressure set higher you are not using all the travel because you are not bottoming occasionally like with the stock setup. You need higher pressures to have it reduce body roll but now you have raised the front end and handling can be compromised. These are my two biggest hangups with the floats or I would have a set. If anyone would comment on my concerns I would appreciate it.

Thanks
Matt
;)!

The issue is is not the shocks in question, because they both are great and can both be revalved to suit the individuals needs. Yamaha needs to figure out of to reduce the amount of body roll without comprimising the ride.

Anything that has adjust abilities must be adjusted properly to work thru trial and error. Most folks quite honestly don't have the ability to do this and should stick with the stock shocks.

Jim

jimmie d said:
Anything that has adjust abilities must be adjusted properly to work thru trial and error. Most folks quite honestly don't have the ability to do this and should stick with the stock shocks.

Jim
Boy is this the truth :ORC

sxmatt said:
I have been interested in floats on my attak. I really like the stock setup in small and medium bumps, but bottom frequently in really rough. The stock shocks track the front end well from a handling perspective with minimal body roll.

My concern with the floats is with the pressure set higher you are not using all the travel because you are not bottoming occasionally like with the stock setup. You need higher pressures to have it reduce body roll but now you have raised the front end and handling can be compromised. These are my two biggest hangups with the floats or I would have a set. If anyone would comment on my concerns I would appreciate it.

Thanks
MattI have about 2,000 miles on fox floats this year both on the attak and rtx,they rock period,and i have had them as high as 110 and as low as 20 but find for most all trail garbage 55-60 was perfect and it gets the front down where it belongs.
;)!

jimmie d said:

Jim

Well said, :Rockon:
I spent half a day adjusting my floats but after that, I never messed with them the rest of the season and all was good......

How about the FLOATS vs OHLINS/w Resivours???? These two shocks are closer in price, aren't they ? Where I find I dislike my stockers the most is in the 1.5'-2'+ range. After I hit the 2nd or 3rd in a row the sled is totally bottoming out and getting way out of shape, causing you to get off the throttle, drop your ground speed and start the process all over again.

I have ohlins on my attak and I like them. the compression adjustment is very noticeable. But @ the Munising Demo ride we had some pretty bumpy conditions and the 4 sleds (2-nytros & 2 rtx) that had the floats felt the best that day IMO. Also I was not impressed with any of the GT's that I rode. I know the GT's have alot of adjustment and I think I could find a set-up that I would like if I had time to mess around with one, but the way they were set up @ the Demo I wasn't saying wow about any of the GT's. I actually liked the standard Attak more than the GT so maybe there is something to the stockers feeling better than the GYT's.
With the exception of the RTX none of the 07 demo sleds felt as good as my 06' attak with the front ohlins and the "fat boy" rear spring. From what I have rode the GYT's are my last choice for front shocks. I really want to try those new FOX EVOL float shocks or find someone who has rode a sled with them because they look like the ultimate front shock.

Superman said:
I have ohlins on my attak and I like them. the compression adjustment is very noticeable. But @ the Munising Demo ride we had some pretty bumpy conditions and the 4 sleds (2-nytros & 2 rtx) that had the floats felt the best that day IMO. Also I was not impressed with any of the GT's that I rode. I know the GT's have alot of adjustment and I think I could find a set-up that I would like if I had time to mess around with one, but the way they were set up @ the Demo I wasn't saying wow about any of the GT's. I actually liked the standard Attak more than the GT so maybe there is something to the stockers feeling better than the GYT's.
With the exception of the RTX none of the 07 demo sleds felt as good as my 06' attak with the front ohlins and the "fat boy" rear spring. From what I have rode the GYT's are my last choice for front shocks. I really want to try those new FOX EVOL float shocks or find someone who has rode a sled with them because they look like the ultimate front shock.
Wonder if we could get a group-buy on the floats?

Superman said:
Why do a test ride if you dont make changes to see how they work?

The GYTs were not even close in adjustment the way they were set for the test ride .. I tested in Brainard and had them change the settings the way I had them set on my sleds and the riders really liked them. Thats what the adjustments are for to change the settings.. Lots of the ridders changed the settings to get a feel for how these shocks worked There is a big difference with a small amount of changes.

byoffcr said:
Superman said:

The GYTs were not even close in adjustment the way they were set for the test ride .. I tested in Brainard and had them change the settings the way I had them set on my sleds and the riders really liked them. Thats what the adjustments are for to change the settings.. Lots of the ridders changed the settings to get a feel for how these shocks worked There is a big difference with a small amount of changes.
There really wasnt much time on the trail to make adjustments. We had about 15 sleds and a rotation and you just moved to the next sled. I think there was 2 Apex GT's and 1 Attak GT and a Vector, Venture and Rage GT's. So we had a few sleds with GYT's. Now the RTX's and Nytro's you could tell had different set ups on them but you could tell you could beat the snot out of the floats. Bottom line is you can't compress air down to nothing and the front end hits through the handlebars felt better with the floats. As I said above I know about the GYT adjustments and I'm sure if I had the sleds for a couple hours I could find a better setting. But I'm sure it would only be in the range of the ohlins I allready own. The floats are better big bump/jump shocks IMO.

Superman said:
byoffcr said:
Superman said:

There really wasnt much time on the trail to make adjustments. We had about 15 sleds and a rotation and you just moved to the next sled. I think there was 2 Apex GT's and 1 Attak GT and a Vector, Venture and Rage GT's. So we had a few sleds with GYT's. Now the RTX's and Nytro's you could tell had different set ups on them but you could tell you could beat the snot out of the floats. Bottom line is you can't compress air down to nothing and the front end hits through the handlebars felt better with the floats. As I said above I know about the GYT adjustments and I'm sure if I had the sleds for a couple hours I could find a better setting. But I'm sure it would only be in the range of the ohlins I allready own. The floats are better big bump/jump shocks IMO.

I,m sure u are right on the floats , What I was trying to get accross is that the GYTs are a lot better than the stocks shocks. ;)!

Back