• We are no longer supporting TapaTalk as a mobile app for our sites. The TapaTalk App has many issues with speed on our server as well as security holes that leave us vulnerable to attacks and spammers.

TD Powertrail - CAI vs stock airbox?

Janne339

TY 4 Stroke Junkie
Country
Sweden
Snowmobile
2021 Sidewinder LTX GT
The under hood air intake they call CAI vs stock airbox with TD Powertrail tune?

Stock airbox always give cold air but where is the limit of the amount of air it can handle? Is it enough for TD Powertrail? Best is the moutantain out of the hood intake but I don't like the ugly chimney.

I guess the under hood intake gets warm air from the engine so I don't like that solution either..

The under hood air intake they call CAI vs stock airbox with TD Powertrail tune?

Stock airbox always give cold air but where is the limit of the amount of air it can handle? Is it enough for TD Powertrail? Best is the moutantain out of the hood intake but I don't like the ugly chimney.

I guess the under hood intake gets warm air from the engine so I don't like that solution either..
I would think the cai is not absolutely necessary for power trail. Maybe have a look at the Gap cold air intake I see TD has on sale.

Don't need CAI for any tune. Imo, GAP intake blocks all air going to the clutches and leads to more belt heat for trail riders.

Don't need CAI for any tune. Imo, GAP intake blocks all air going to the clutches and leads to more belt heat for trail riders.
Yes, I don't like the GAP intake.

TD says 5 hp gains with CAI vs stock air box but I'm not convinced?

Last edited:
I used the Gap intake all last year and I have had a Razor belt temp gage for a couple years. I never noticed any increase in belt temps compared to previous years without the Gap intake.
I have also have had the full MoFlo vent kit installed since the sled was new...maybe that's why.

I have personally seen the 5hp on Dyno. Some will probably disagree but I am a show me type and was shown the increase.

I tested stock box to underhand WAI till I was blue in the face. And even though the stock box pulls in colder air, the underwood WAI does make the A/F a bit leaner and makes .5 lbs. more boost. So a 5 HP gain will come from the added .5 lbs. boost alone. IMO the stock box needs a larger better flowing air horn into the tube. Another thing to note is the stock intake is behind the low pressure area behind the windshied, which isn't much but still a factor.

I'd like to stuff the air intake out the high pressure area in front of the hood because it works even better, but so dang ugly for a trail sled that you want to look "stock". There is a reason turbo race cars and sleds run the air horns right out front.

Maptun and TD under hood intake..
https://www.maptunpowersports.com/h...-yamaha-sidewinder-arctic-cat-9000-2020-.html

cold-air-intake-underhood-yamaha-sidewinder-arctic-cat-9000.jpg
sidewinder-kalluftsintag-1.jpg

Back