• We are no longer supporting TapaTalk as a mobile app for our sites. The TapaTalk App has many issues with speed on our server as well as security holes that leave us vulnerable to attacks and spammers.

Fox Evol ?

kingedwards99

Expert
Did anyone upgrade there 08 fox floats to a fox evol or float 2? how much better was it? is it worth the upgrade i see there is a $350 upgrade on the web site and i wonder how hard it is to do it yourself? thanks for any help :Rockon:

I have 08 floats on my Nytro. After talking with Scmurs at OFT - i am going with Float 2 with the add on kit. While i see what they are doing with the upgrade kit - it wasn't worth it to me to make the old gen "like" the new gen. Part of it for me is I am going from the Timbersled Bark Buster Front end to the new Skins Concept Front end and there is a half inch differene in the length of gen1 to 2.

Just my 2 cents on it. Fox did quite a bit of changes for the Float 2 and to me it wasn't worth trying to make the old gen into the new gen when I can get the new gen and be done with it.

For anyone reading this - I have a 08 Timbersled Barkbuster with Fox Floats that needs a new home.

I've riden sleds with the regular Fox floats, and then my old rtx se had the Fox Float X shocks. The Float X are 10x better than the regular floats.

Skip the float 2s and go straight to the Float X. Its a huge improvement. I'm sure the Evo shocks are awesome too, but its more $$ and the X are pretty awesome.

Float Evols are sweet, that is for sure. I think Float X's are top of the line tho -- they have the compression and rebound clickers on both canisters, while Evol's just have dual canisters. Float 2's were a HUGE improvement over the first floats. I believe it's due to the enlarged tube/ air volume. You can also get extra canisters, which help. But to be honest, I can't tell much of a difference betwwen Float 2's and Evols.... Maybe others can, I can't.

Float Evos don't have adjustable compression or rebound? I was not aware of that.

Well forget that then. Float X is what I would get. They work great cause you can pump up the air to keep the ride height higher and prevent too much body roll, but also keep the compression turned down so it rides nice in the smaller bumps, but will still not bottom.

I stand corrected a bit there I guess. I've know the Float X's (Or X Evol's -- same shock) had both rebound and compression adjustment, and were the ones to buy. They used to have an Evol R shock that didnt have the compression adjustment. or I guess they still have it. Here it is: http://www.foxracingshox.com/snowmobile ... OAT_R_EVOL

That's what I was thinking of. I'm used to guys calling the R version the "Evols" add the X version the "Float X's". The X's are the ones to buy from my experience and have full adjustability. My bad, sorry.

There are few different variations out there.

Anything with dual pressure chambers ( not just added volume, but the ablility to set both chambers at different pressures ) is considered an EVOL. Think dual rate springs here.

The Float-X that came on the RTX models is not the same as a Float EVOL-X from Fox. They both have compression and rebound adjustment, but the Yamaha version does not have the smaller, high pressure chamber. The Float-X that came on the RTX only has the extra volume.

The EVOL-R from Fox has the rebound adjustment ( hence the 'r' ) and the high pressure chamber, but not the compression adjustment.

The EVOL upgrade kit for the Float 1 & 2's has dual pressure chambers, but no compression or rebound adjustment.

That said, the Float 2 is miles ahead of the Float 1. And for $350 you can upgrade a Float 2 to an EVOL with dual pressure chambers, but no rebound or compression adjustment.

Otherwise, EVOL-R's are $1050/set from Fox and the EVOL-X is around $1500.

Food for thought.

scmurs

I upgraded my shocks to the Float Evols from Float 1's and also had them re-valved and what a difference! It was well worth the $350. I had the Fox shox dealer in Brainerd MN do it for me. If you do the upgrade, re-valve too.

mnman309 said:
I upgraded my shocks to the Float Evols from Float 1's and also had them re-valved and what a difference! It was well worth the $350. I had the Fox shox dealer in Brainerd MN do it for me. If you do the upgrade, re-valve too.

Thanks, Just wondering what was the total cost? Thanks.

The stock valving was very agressive single shim stack and the valve was a really small orfice. I had the shocks re-valved prior to the conversion and the guy used a shim stack and also a larger valve orfice similar to a Sno Pro A/C- cost was $40 per shock. Cost of the conversion was $350 done by the Fox Shox dlr in Brainerd MN.

DLS Enterprises in Plymouth MN did the re-valve- Dave also has different setup for the rears too as he did the rear shocks on mine too. The re-valved helped but I would still bottom out. So I did the conversion, now no bottoming out and have a plush ride for all conditions. And I weigh 200lbs without gear, I have my Evol chambers at 160lbs and the Main chambers at 55-60psi depending if I am on the trail or ditch.

I've got the float Xs on my sled and love them. I've had both floats and floats 2s and the Xs are a lot better than both of those. Have never tried the evols though so can't compare with the Xs. You can get a pair of float Xs for about $700-750 I believe.

I've ran the Exol X's and Exit X1's on my sled and so far the Floats have been a step up on the Exit's. I think with tuning the Exit's are a better shock but have been very impressed with how my floats have worked with little messing around. I have never used any floats but the Evol X's but I do know they are a great shock.

Here's one to get people thinking, I run my Evol chamber at 0 ;)!

Back