• We are no longer supporting TapaTalk as a mobile app for our sites. The TapaTalk App has many issues with speed on our server as well as security holes that leave us vulnerable to attacks and spammers.

From Phazer to Nytro

Country
Canada
Snowmobile
2013 FX Nytro
Hi Folks,
I realize this question has been posted before, but I was hoping some who had a Phazer before (or anyone) could comment on how they liked or disliked choosing a Nytro (08-14) as their next sled. I am looking in the used market and most likely cannot afford a Viper. So that isn't really an option.

I currently have a Phazer RTX, which is a beautiful machine, but I feel I've outgrown it. Most of my riding is on trail.

Any feedback would be greatly appreciated. Thank you.

Cheers,
RW

Hi Rick--

The Nytro is a nice/logical step up from the Phazer.

The Nytro has quite a bit more power, better ergonomics and is not nearly as tippy feeling as the Phazer.

The only Nytro negatives in my opinion are the small 7.4 gallon gas tank, hard warmers suck unless you get a 2013-2014 and the front end weight due to the big 3 hole engine.

My 2011 XTX always seems to get around 15-17 MPG where as my Phazer normally got right around 20 MPG.

Oh yes almost forgot, the Nytro is also prone to heavy ice build up in the tunnel, so you may want to consider a tunnel block off plate.

Overall I am certain you will much more happier with the Nytro.

Look for a Nytro that has upgrades in the XTX version ! Things to look for: different ski's, steering relocator, hand guards or larger windshield, Star Kit for rear suspension, Bigger Idler wheels for less Hyfax wear, new Exhaust Donuts. All these are nice upgrades and many people have done them already. My brother put 12000 miles on his 2008 and never had a serious problem except a front ball joint going out on the trail. We had to stick a screw driver in the hole but we drove it 40 miles back home.. Very easy sled to work on ! great seating position !

Thanks to both members who provided good information.

Does anyone find the XTX difficult to handle in twisty trails (about 25% of a typical day for my ride)? I've never owned a long track machine and wonder if I'm missing a lot in terms of (better) handling, but don't want to work really hard to ride through tight turns. Hope this is a reasonable question. Thanks.

My Brother had the 121" and my buddy had the 144" XTX with tipped up rails. Yes the shorty handled better in tight twist's but the XTX was a lot more stable at high speeds and Handled the bumps much better. and deep snow it was no contest the XTX wins hands down ! After putting many miles on each and going back and forth I would take the XTX unless all I did was woods driving... Put Ski doo ski's on with snowtrackers and It turns like it's on rails . Besides the skis and carbides I would invest in the steering relocator. I could not stand the up and down type of movement the stock setup has..

Last edited:
If you do bigger runs up north where you will carry higher speeds all day, you will be much happier on the Nytro. Great power band and is a comfortable trail sled.
Don't be afraid to play with skis and shocks to get it set up. But it can be made into a very mannerly sled.
A Trail Tank is a great upgrade. Best money I have spent on the sled.
Can go easy 225km per tank.
MS

Hi Folks,
I realize this question has been posted before, but I was hoping some who had a Phazer before (or anyone) could comment on how they liked or disliked choosing a Nytro (08-14) as their next sled. I am looking in the used market and most likely cannot afford a Viper. So that isn't really an option.

I currently have a Phazer RTX, which is a beautiful machine, but I feel I've outgrown it. Most of my riding is on trail.

Any feedback would be greatly appreciated. Thank you.

Cheers,
RW
I just purchased earlier this year a 2008' Nytro RTX that has been stretched to 144". I have been riding a stretched Phazer RTX and was looking for a used Nytro XTX but found a great deal on the stretched 08' I couldn't pass it up. I have ridden a few Nytro XTX's and have always really liked them. IMO I would not stud the XTX as the sled will push more than it does stock with all the track on the ground. I have played this game before and once you stud them you wind up cranking down the front end to reduce the push and find yourself with a higher than stock steering effort. I love my Phazer but find myself looking for a little more power time from time. G.B.

More stable + power but heavier.

I wasted an '07 Phazer a few years ago over some moguls and picked up a '09 RTX with 347 miles for $5200, Wife used to ride a 2010 A/C Z1 turbo but wanted lighter, went with the XTX version, both of them have totally different set ups from suspension to clutching.
She likes the way mine steers with relocator but 144" bridges bumps better. You get aggressive and hang off the side of it, no problems turning them.
The stock seat SUCKS, a WRP is a huge difference.
Not to be fooled- 121" goes in alot of places, all on how you ride it & stay on the happy flipper moving forward.
IMG_0784.JPG

Rick, too bad your not in the states as I will be looking to sell my 08 Nytro RTX 40th Anniversary edition this season. As others have mentioned, there are things you can do to the Nytro to make them ride much better than stock. For me, it was the Star Suspension relocation kit, having them revalve all 4 shocks (2 front/2 rear), and OFT's steering post relocation kit. Of course adding a clutch kit from Ullmer racing was just icing on the cake but the aforementioned mods really addressed the handling issues of the RTX model.

Hi Rick--

The Nytro is a nice/logical step up from the Phazer.

The Nytro has quite a bit more power, better ergonomics and is not nearly as tippy feeling as the Phazer.

The only Nytro negatives in my opinion are the small 7.4 gallon gas tank, hard warmers suck unless you get a 2013-2014 and the front end weight due to the big 3 hole engine.

My 2011 XTX always seems to get around 15-17 MPG where as my Phazer normally got right around 20 MPG.

Oh yes almost forgot, the Nytro is also prone to heavy ice build up in the tunnel, so you may want to consider a tunnel block off plate.

Overall I am certain you will much more happier with the Nytro.

Spot on! My brother-in-law has a 09' Phazer short track and I run a 09' Nytro XTX.

- The Nytro has significantly more power across the board. I would say his Phazer is pretty peppy down low, but doesn't have the same "raw power" feeling. Above 60-70 mph the Phazer really slows down with the 1.5" track he runs.

- I would also agree that the Nytro doesn't feel nearly as tippy, though some of that may be setup.

- Small tank limits range, but still decent enough for most riding.

- Short track will handle the tight twisties a bit better but the long track shines everywhere else - soaking up bumps, traction, etc.

- There's a handful of small things with the Nytro to know about but they're all fixable - sub frame, relays, hand warmers, exhaust donuts, tunnel icing, etc.

If you're looking for more power on a budget I think the Nytro would be a great upgrade :4STroke:

Back