• We are no longer supporting TapaTalk as a mobile app for our sites. The TapaTalk App has many issues with speed on our server as well as security holes that leave us vulnerable to attacks and spammers.

front mount versus rear mount?

here is allittle info on intercoolers we found in testing, take it for what its worth. there is alot that goes into a intercooler design, application is everything, the sizes from application to application will vary dramatically. from a pressure drop stand point, you want to have alot of transfer tubes that flow nicely, but they also have to carry the heat away to cool the charge, so you have to look at it from a pressure drop vs an external surface area / ambiant temperature/ air flow stand point. and then find a place to put it, thats where most probems come in, where can you find enough room, theres never enough. size does matter as long as its not excessive, whats excessive? depends on the applications environment. lets say you screw up and slightly oversize it, no big deal, you added allittle more volume to the system and you will see slightly more lag (not a problem on front mount turbos) but lets say you under size it, you will have a progressively building intake temp that will continue to rise to its heat saturation point (hopefully not incuring detonation) and will cause a decrease in hp. so depenging on the application, usually bigger is better. its a balance of temperature drop and pressure drop, if you have too much pressure drop then you have to increase the boost to compensate for it and that creates more heat. which now puts more of a load on the intercooler. for snowmobile applications, things are alot different than in the automotive or motorcycle world, you have really cold air, but not alot off direct airflow pushing across the cooling fins as you do in a car or bike, the number and lenghts of the tubes have an effect as well, it is restrictive for the charge to get into the tubes, but once in the tube, if you double its length its not twice the restriction, it barely even effects it, however adding the same total length of tubes in additional rows can actually be more restrictive, given the same flow area, and cooling efficency will go down as well, from not being in the tube long enough, therefore having a huge surface area with little restriction is the key. that is what we found in testing, and when we tested it in repeated 1 mile long blasts across the lake, it held a consistent speed, the same speed as it did when we iced down the intercooler to see how much we left on the table. a long cross flow design is tough to beat when it has 112 in of surface area and only .6 ths pressure drop. jeff

as for the water cooled bearing housing, the intent is to increase bearing life, but it also transfers less heat from the turbine side of the turbo to the compressor side of the turbo, how do i know this, i have a infared heat gun, with the water conected it reads 200 degrees, without water it maxes out the gun at 500 degrees, so it is higher than that, but being that the turbine side get 1400 degrees, it would only be logical that it would make a difference. even though that was not its design intent. jeff

Wow! What a great discussion. I've spent a lot of time on the Snowest website and I know that somewhere in a debate like this, there would have been some name calling. I can really appreciate that the folks that frequent this forum can agree to disagree without a bunch of unneccessary crap being said and with the idle threats that go along with it.
You guys have impressed me with the amount of knowledge that you are willing to share and you are willing to argue what you don't believe in. Those of you that can offer real world experience that can be used as a basis on theory, your perspective is very important. I can't say that I lay awake at night thinking about all of this stuff, well at least not most nights, but I do enjoy the different perspectives that are shared because it helps me to think about things in a different way.

I don't know if this debate sold everyone on which one(front mount or rear mount) is better but it looks like it opened a few eyes on why each of them has a certain amount of appeal.

Jeff, thanks for taking a position that supports your product and making an excellent case on why the front mount kicks a$$.

jtssrx, thanks for playing the devils advocate and challenging most of what was on the table and bowing out with class.

Everyone else, how much fun would it be to be in a discussion if you never had anything to say, thanks for being a part of it.

Keith

All turbo mfgs has their pros & downs.
Best thing is to compare each other, but how?
Different turbos,hoses,intercoolers,stockgaskets,2-gask,-3-gask,gearings,
clutching etc.

4strokeand turbo is a great combo,I think all can agree with that.
But ,compare each system to each other is tough ,if you dont have time and effort to messure between an equal system and then change turbos,IC,gaskets, anfd so on ,you now what I mean.

Compared to my former mcx-front mount ,the rearmount has way more power, 0,5bars to 0.7 bars,could have been the loss of some botlts but the diff.between ,9 and 1,3bars was XXXXXXX.!

There IS a lag but with a nice clutch combo its not such a big deal.

Back