• We are no longer supporting TapaTalk as a mobile app for our sites. The TapaTalk App has many issues with speed on our server as well as security holes that leave us vulnerable to attacks and spammers.

Front of Rail close to striking Driver...

Corins

Extreme
Okay, I just finished putting my 07 Apex RTX back together after changing the track and installing 9 tooth anti slip drivers, me and a buddy put a block of wood under the front of the suspension to compress it as much as we can.

The problem I'm noticing is that the front of the rail is touching (if not touching the clearance is close to nil) the tooth on the anti slip driver. I'm wondering if I will need to shave down my driver teeth to allow some clearance. Or would running it the way it is now be fine and I don't need to worry about it.

The buddy of mine that was giving me a hand has an 06 Apex RTX and installed 9 tooth anti slip drivers last year, he told me he didn't notice it being so close on his.

Any help as to if this is normal or if I should have shaved down the drivers would be great. Snow is coming and I don't want to have this take me out of riding because I end up doing damage.

Not familiar with this problem on an Apex, I didn't notice it on mine, but may have just not noticed? I didn't run mine this way long, only a hundered miles or so. Don't remember anything unusual at the time. You're sure there is no damage/wear on the suspension in the area of the front arm and it's attach points near the rail? Doesn't the front cross shaft use bushings? Are those in good shape/in place?

I can tell you that on the ProX sleds this is not an unusual problem, but the ProX rails are quite a bit longer than the Proactive rails. The preferred fix there is to shorten the rails an inch or so and install an anti stab kit which is what has been done on mine. I would definitely NOT trim the drivers for any reason.

Its only touching when the suspension is compressed to maximum (we had put a 6x6 block under the front to check it out), just sitting on the floor of the garage normally there is enough room to get your hand in around there. There doesn't seem to be any damage to the suspension, while it was out we inspected it to see if anything needed to be replaced (and of course there are a few wheels) and the bushings, I think the ones you are talking about aren't great, one of them is in rough shape but they are still there.

Maybe I'm just paranoid, possibly its only because we compressed just the front of the suspension and the rear was free to extend as far as possible.

Also trimming the edge of the rails and adding the anti stab kit was the first thing that came to mind, but the snow is almost here and if given the chance to ride I wanted to know that it was safe to do so. I know lots of people have added 9 tooth drivers, hoping someone else has noticed this, or let me know that I'm just overreacting.

Ok I took the sled for a short run yesterday to try it out, I was going easy just in case the rails struck. They never, at most they may have grazed but I didn't hear or feel anything, checked the front of the rails and the teeth on the drivers this morning and there are no scratches or anything. I still find it odd at the lack of room between the drivers and the rails though, has anyone else experienced this or am I alone on this? My guess would be max of 3-4 inches clearance from the end of the rail to the driver tooth while the sled is sitting on the garage floor.

Could it be suspension set up?

If you can make it touch in the garage, it will hit while on the trail. The problem is that it will do it when your hauling and hit a hole. Search "Human Torpedo", just trim the rails and install the anti stabs. No reason to play around with the danger of sailing into a tree, or worse yet in to me.

They will hit, but barely. You could just take a dremel and lightly gring some plastic off (just a little) if you wanted, but im sure theyre fine like that. How often are you going to be compressing the shock all the way in the front anyways.

What extroverts are you using?

They are the 9 tooth Avid Product Drivers, I found it odd cause I had never heard of anyone else mentioning this. When it does strike its not like the rails go in inches past the driver teeth, they will get close enough to rub the highest point on the driver tooth.

I'm going to do a few small tests to see how much needs to go, then take off just enough so the front fully compressed is a hair from rubbing.

Back