• We are no longer supporting TapaTalk as a mobile app for our sites. The TapaTalk App has many issues with speed on our server as well as security holes that leave us vulnerable to attacks and spammers.

Frozen air bypass valve

rock doc

VIP Member
Country
Canada
Snowmobile
2018 Sidewinder XTX SE. Previous 2011 Nytro xtx, 2016 Apex GT, 1998 Polaris Indy 600 xlt
I had oil and ice in the boost tubes and the air blow off valve was frozen. Would this damage the turbo? The sled started running hotter so I shut it down and towed it home.

Last edited:

Technically, turbos are made to pump air, nothing else. IF chunks of ice were to go into those spinning blades, it could damage them. With the way the factory design is, there will always be some water vapor, oil vapor, and condensation going through turbo (which is why many of us have plugged the "goo" port on the inlet tube to the turbo and put a long vent hose on the oil tank and removed the rollover valve). On the factory design, it would not be surprising to see frozen condensation/ice sludge in the boost tubes and into the BOV.
IF this was the case for you, it should not make the sled run hotter. What kind of trail conditions were you on? What is "hotter?"

it was very cold. -26C but good lube. I kept the intercooler and both the front and rear coolers clear. It actually never iced up that much. I just bought the sled with 4700 kilometers from the dealer. It is a 2018 xtx. I installed scratetcher but there was no need for them. No one else out of 10 sleds had any issues at all. That included a few yammis ( apex, nytro) and the cat version of the viper.

It started acting up about 70 - 80 miles into out trip, which was in Quebec. We had trailered up 6 hrs to go sledding. Dealer said it was serviced and good to go. Coolant level eas good when I left. I took it to the nearest pace I could get it towed out, which cost be $500.00.

Seemed to have good power, but I noticed the power dis fall off may a minute right before the temp light flashed. I waited a couple minutes ( hate to shut down a hot sled) and ran it through some deeper snow. No luck. Pulled the side cover and no coolant in the overflow. Filled that up, bleed the air out, and got the temp back down. Oil level was good.

I figured maybe it was air locked and is was brutally cold ( I eventually got some really bad frostbite). Drove it really easy another hour out to the nearest place to get help. Inwouldntop up the reservoir every time we stopped, but it seemed to lose that coolant quickly.

Each time it only took 2-300 millimetres. The rad seemed to stay fairly full.

Here is a photo of the tubes at the air bypass. The valve had oil and ice in it. all the tubes were coated with milky oil. we sure a bungee to pull a rag through it tube to clean them out. I could not figure out how to remove the intercooler easily so I still have more work to do. I am also going to pull a plug to see how they look. Also have not had a chance to check the air filter to see if it is dry. I checked it before I left and it did look clean but I seem to recall thinking the filter was sticky...which seemed odd.

Attachments

• 20200118_224838.jpg
    20200118_224838.jpg
    78.3 KB · Views: 313
Here is the air bypass valve. I had wiped some of the mess up, but thought I'd better take a picture which showed where the milky oil sprayed out. One is the valve and the other is directly below it and around the relays.

Attachments

• IMG_0249.jpg
    IMG_0249.jpg
    71.8 KB · Views: 326
  • IMG_0250.jpg
    IMG_0250.jpg
    65.2 KB · Views: 309
What a mess! Why is it all goo over the machine inside? Did you run it with the tubes unhooked for a while?

That's exactly why we bypass the rollover valve as Turboflash said, but a froze up blowoff valve wouldn't hurt anything or cause overheating. Maybe it was running hot and puked out the anti-freeze out? Plus there is enough heat in the intake to unthaw a froze up blowoff valve if being run hard enough anyway. There has to be more to the story as to why the coolant was gone out of the bottle and the overheat light came on.

Sounds like a blown head gasket possibly. The coolant is getting in the oil, raising your oil level and going into your intake from the oil tank. How is the oil level?

The oil level is actually a little bit low now.

Don't know if you loosened any clamps but why is the goop all over the place under the hood?! Even if you have a problem, if the clamps are tight it shouldn't be all over everything. As Big_Phil asks, how is the oil level?
Either your dealer didn't bleed and fill the cooling system correctly (did you get the sled from them with only coolant in the bottle and engine/rest of system not bled), or you have a serious problem as KA & Big_Phil say! If you kept having to add coolant, where did it go? Answer is IN YOUR OIL sump, or else you have serious coolant leaks somewhere. Did you see any coolant on the ground?

OK GOOD your oil level is a little under the line (normal for cold sled). At least all the coolant didn't go into oil sump!
Either that sled was essentially empty of coolant when you got it, or you have leaks somewhere. These 998s are a little tricky to bleed correctly.

What a mess! Why is it all goo over the machine inside? Did you run it with the tubes unhooked for a while?

That's exactly why we bypass the rollover valve as Turboflash said, but a froze up blowoff valve wouldn't hurt anything or cause overheating. Maybe it was running hot and puked out the anti-freeze out? Plus there is enough heat in the intake to unthaw a froze up blowoff valve if being run hard enough anyway. There has to be more to the story as to why the coolant was gone out of the bottle and the overheat light came on.

We did not run it without the tubes hooked up. That milky oil everywhere is what I was greeted with when I removed the hood. Agree...what a mess! The dealer is suggested I ran it with the intercooler plugged with snow. This is not true. The intercooler never got even warm either. I think someone traded in a problem but the dealer is adamant it was fine. I think Inam about to get screwed over.

Intercooler only cools the intake charge, not the engine.

Something seriously wrong here with that mess outside the charge tubes and the coolant low. How does the mess end up outside the tubes, that makes no sense.

Take it to someone who knows turbo sleds to give it the once over. Some of these dealers are stupid with turbo stuff.

Something seriously wrong here with that mess outside the charge tubes and the coolant low. How does the mess end up outside the tubes, that makes no sense.

Take it to someone who knows turbo sleds to give it the once over. Some of these dealers are stupid with turbo stuff.

I am just learning this machine now. Isn't it possible that the frozen air bypass valve caused goop to be pushed out at the clamp?

I am just learning this machine now. Isn't it possible that the frozen air bypass valve caused goop to be pushed out at the clamp?

No. The compressor should stall if the blowoff valve was frozen.

You must have a blown hose somewhere or a clamp leaking and not tight.

Back