• We are no longer supporting TapaTalk as a mobile app for our sites. The TapaTalk App has many issues with speed on our server as well as security holes that leave us vulnerable to attacks and spammers.

Fuel issue no start

YamaDom

Country
Canada
Snowmobile
2017 Sidewinder XTX LE 137
I’ve got a new to me 17 Winder RTX so I don’t really know the history on it but it ran good when I bought it and brought it home. I went to start it the other day and it started then stalled and when I tried to start it again it just sputters and die. Did all the simple checks and the spark was good and ran on spray so I knew it was a fuel issue. The pump runs when you turn the key on but doesn’t prime the system. I took the pump out and checked the 2 pickup socks in the tank and the strainer in the horn where the pump sits an all looked ok. With the horn out a bit and I cycle the key I can see that it’s not prime filling the horn. I manually filled the horn with fuel and put the assembly back in it runs perfect until the horn empties with fuel.

I think I remember reading something about a check valve but are these check valves right at the socks at the end of the fuel lines in the tank or just at the top of where the pump and horn are? I see you can get the y where the lines split with the tank socks but can you buy a separate check valve it it’s at the top?

Just wanted to make sure as well when you cycle the key is it only priming/filling the horn where the fuel pump is or is it supposed to pressurize the line to the fuel rail as well?

Just in case someone runs into a similar problem this is what I found. It was a combination of things. I had the back end of the sled up prob under 3 gallons of gas in the tank when I started it and it starved for fuel then got air in the lines and horn.

I put it down and put 3/4 of a tank of fuel but still wouldn’t stay primed.

The problem was the pickup lines and hoses in the tank were air locked so when it ran out of fuel in the horn it stalled again. I took out the sending unit and could see that it wasn’t sucking from the pickups.

Remedy was to fill the horn with fuel and hook up all lines as normal and I cycles the key without starting prob 15-20 times till I couldn’t hear air in the lines anymore.

After that fired right up and been running good.

No not yet. I was going to see how it runs on the snow and if it’s starving I’m gonna do the mod. I can definitely see the need for it.

I’ll attach a picture of the part numbers that was shared to me of the grommet and check valve if anyone is looking to do the mod.

Attachments

• IMG_9553.jpeg
    IMG_9553.jpeg
    124 KB · Views: 39
Almost sounds like the pump is weak.. If it was mine I would have a pump on hand and see if you have anymore issues? would replace the pump if that's the case. The stock pump is okay if your stock and or maybe running a small tune. But if your running bigger tunes you should have the upgraded pump and return line MOD. And also run the pump direct off the battery. The age of your sled is also working against that stock pump.. Just some thoughts.. Sounds like you got it for now..

open the gas cap, put ear to filler, turn key on and see if you hear the pump, if you hear pump turn on and then shut off it means it pressurized line, then now you need to look at ignition, or injector....

Back