• We are no longer supporting TapaTalk as a mobile app for our sites. The TapaTalk App has many issues with speed on our server as well as security holes that leave us vulnerable to attacks and spammers.

17' Sidewinder cranks but won't start

markhuns

Country
USA
Snowmobile
2017 Yamaha Sidewinder LTX-DX 137
2011 Yamaha Apex XT-X 144
Have a 2017 Sidewinder LTX-DX 137 that cranks over but won't start. The sled has a Turbo Dynamics 230, 250 & 260 tune. I changed the chain case and engine oil recently and it started right up after the change. I drove it onto my trailer and parked the trailer in the garage. Went out a week later to start up the sled and wouldn't start. I have been all through the sled to ensure all of the electric connections are plugged in properly. I changed plugs, drained the old fuel and put fresh 93 Octane - tank is over half full. I can hear the fuel pump cycle on when the key is turned on and can see fuel pumping back into the tank so I know the fuel rail is charged with fuel. I put the battery charger on boost so I am certain it is cranking with 12+ volts. I cleaned the intake and checked as many of the vacuum lines that I can see. I sprayed starter fluid in the intake and the sled fires up for a second or two with the starter fluid spray but doesn't stay running. I am at a complete loss as to why it will not start. Since the sled fires up when using starter fluid, I don't believe it is a spark plug issue but rather a fuel issue. Is there a sensor that would prevent the fuel injectors for spraying fuel? Or, might the injectors be plugged with debris or gunk? I have read several threads on various forums to get ideas on how to troubleshoot issues that others have experienced. However, the corrections that others have implemented have not resulted in the sled starting.

I don’t have a Sidewinder but my Viper has done the same thing to me twice over the years. Both times I disconnected the battery and let it sit for a few months minuets and after reconnecting it fired right up and ran fine. Kinda like a reset for the ECU.

Thanks for the quick responses.
When I initially experienced the no-start issue, I disconnected the battery for the exact reason you stated - I was hopeful that the ECU would reset. After disconnecting the battery overnight, it started the next morning. However, I tried starting it a couple of weeks ago in preparation for a coming snow and experienced the same issue - it would crank over but wouldn't fire up. I tried disconnecting the battery again but no joy.

No error codes either. Very puzzled by it not firing up. I pulled the fuel pump assembly out yesterday to see if there was any sort of blockage and didn't find any issues.

Frozen relays?
Not uncommon...can you hear the fuel pump cycle when you turn the key on?
Maybe its just a matter of crappy fuel and fouled plugs.

You say it has new plugs, but how many times has it started/stopped on those plugs?

I can hear the fuel pump cycle on when I turn the key. I even cycled the key 2 - 3 times before trying to start to make sure the fuel rail was properly pressurized. I siphoned all of the old fuel and put fresh 93 octane.

The new plugs have had no successful starts other than using starter fluid. When I sprayed starter fluid, the motor fires when burning the starter fluid but does not stay running. When I pulled the plugs and turn over the motor, it has good spark. Since it has good spark and fires when using starter fluid, that is why I believe the sled has some sort of fuel issue or something is preventing fuel from reaching the cylinder.

Also, the sled has been in my garage which is at least 50 degrees F. To check the relay issue, I heated them with a heat gun and switch them around with other relays I know are functional. I also checked all of the fuses to ensure they are not spent.

Any chance you put a different fuel pump in it? If you did its very possible you have the wires reversed. Causing pump to run the wrong way.

Good question. I did not put in a different fuel pump. I did, however, pull the pump out of the tank to be sure there was no blockage. Interestingly enough, the + (positive) and - (negative) electric connections on the pump are different sizes to help ensure they get connected to the proper terminals. I recently purchased a fuel pressure gauge and found the fuel pressure measures 39.5 or 40 PSI. The fuel pressure range for this sled is 38.4 - 46.9 PSI so the fuel pressure is in the normal range.

I took my Sidewinder to the Yamaha dealer on Saturday to see if they could investigate the no-start issue. When I find out what is wrong from the Yamaha dealer, I will update this thread.

Good question. I did not put in a different fuel pump. I did, however, pull the pump out of the tank to be sure there was no blockage. Interestingly enough, the + (positive) and - (negative) electric connections on the pump are different sizes to help ensure they get connected to the proper terminals. I recently purchased a fuel pressure gauge and found the fuel pressure measures 39.5 or 40 PSI. The fuel pressure range for this sled is 38.4 - 46.9 PSI so the fuel pressure is in the normal range.

I took my Sidewinder to the Yamaha dealer on Saturday to see if they could investigate the no-start issue. When I find out what is wrong from the Yamaha dealer, I will update this thread.
It was a long shot but the symptoms you describe are right in line of having wires wrong on pump. If you tested fuel pressure then its not that. Hope you get it figured out.

Be interesting to hear what dealer finds. Almost sounds like a problem in ECU with drivers for the injectors. Sounds like injectors are not firing.

Well my 2017 with a hurricane tune 225 240 270 tune has done the same thing. I have tested it down to the injectors are not firing. There is power at the injector plug no ground . Code 26 flashing just came back from 50 mile ride

Did you end up getting any additional information from dealer? Been chasing mine around too.

Thank you
Tom

Back