• We are no longer supporting TapaTalk as a mobile app for our sites. The TapaTalk App has many issues with speed on our server as well as security holes that leave us vulnerable to attacks and spammers.

Gates 8jp vs gates 8dn

hognit09

Expert
Country
USA
Snowmobile
2016 viper ltx le,2016 viper ltx dx
I bought a gates-8jp equivalent belt, any reason I should be buying the gates 8dn version instead

any reason to use the carbon fiber one, just bought the non carbon one for $46.00

Just be prepared for lower RPM's Gates 8JP always dropped my rpm by about 300. Might be perfect for a broke in stocker. They grab hard though.

Has any one put some miles on the gates 8jp equivalent yet?? How do they hold up?? Grip?? Hold rpms the same?? Belt dirt??

Read post above. No dust. But its aggressive unless you clutch for it. I am running Dayco XTX falls between Gates and 8DN. Drops RPM about 100 or so and a little bit more grippy than 8DN. They have a good warranty also. Was a bad batch of them out there that if bent backwards they cracked. Mine blew. They replaced mine and Apologized for their error. Good company.

Is that dayco one the same as the 8jp or same as the 8dn??

Read post above. No dust. But its aggressive unless you clutch for it. I am running Dayco XTX falls between Gates and 8DN. Drops RPM about 100 or so and a little bit more grippy than 8DN. They have a good warranty also. Was a bad batch of them out there that if bent backwards they cracked. Mine blew. They replaced mine and Apologized for their error. Good company.

Hey Cannondale. Is the Dayco XTX the same as the Carlisle belts. I just picked a Carlisle to try. I was wondering how much RPM I will drop with the Carlisle.

I have been testing the Gates carbon fiber and the 8dn belt back to back trail riding this year and the rpm is almost identical, and the gates is the right length and gives you all your overdrive back and hardly any belt dust. I only have 500 miles on my sled with me swapping belts over during the day in many different conditions they are the same except less belt slip on the gates. The gates worked great at the track last summer but will see what life it will have in normal trail riding. I never keep a belt on for more than 800 miles so I wont be able to test for longevity.

I have been testing the Gates carbon fiber and the 8dn belt back to back trail riding this year and the rpm is almost identical, and the gates is the right length and gives you all your overdrive back and hardly any belt dust. I only have 500 miles on my sled with me swapping belts over during the day in many different conditions they are the same except less belt slip on the gates. The gates worked great at the track last summer but will see what life it will have in normal trail riding. I never keep a belt on for more than 800 miles so I wont be able to test for longevity.

Hi Stone!
What is Gates number ? Like 8jp or 8dn length and how many washers on secondary ?

Hi Stone!
What is Gates number ? Like 8jp or 8dn length and how many washers on secondary ?

40C4313 its the direct replacement for 8jp as far as washers I don't know you will have to check that out yourself I use a team secondary.

Today I put my gates 8 jp equivalent back on. I noticed that this gates was 1/16 to 1/8 wider belt. Any ways after setting up,the belt tight took it out on my testing road solid ice and snow packed. I am not sure what's going on but this thing pulls hard and really wants to bring the front end off the ground. Seem to really want to pull hard to 97 quickly. Nothing to see 100 with the wind. I tried it into the wind went right to 97 took a little longer to hit 100. Overall Imam not sure I am going to put my 8dn back on. I have a brand new one that I will sit on for awhile. New gears going in Wednesday can't wait

Back