• We are no longer supporting TapaTalk as a mobile app for our sites. The TapaTalk App has many issues with speed on our server as well as security holes that leave us vulnerable to attacks and spammers.

gearing?

Confused?

Expert
If I'm putting on a 1.75" track on my 121 do I need to change my gearing? Also am I able to reuse my stock handle bar heaters on different bars?

You are likely not going to get the heaters off the old bars in one piece. They are stuck right to the bars and will rip super easy.

I would recommend the RSI heaters if you need to order new ones.

Confused? said:
If I'm putting on a 1.75" track on my 121 do I need to change my gearing? Also am I able to reuse my stock handle bar heaters on different bars?

You don't "need" to, especially if you mostly ride trails. If you ride off trail a fair bit I would drop a tooth on the top sprocket.

Ok I'm off trail a lot but I also ride a little bit of sno x and I like to race my friends and especially if we don't have snow I would like to do a hill climb at my local ski mtn so is it going to kill my top end? Will any gear fit the nytro? Is there any thing else I should worry bout when putting a 1.75 on?

Confused? said:
Ok I'm off trail a lot but I also ride a little bit of sno x and I like to race my friends and especially if we don't have snow I would like to do a hill climb at my local ski mtn so is it going to kill my top end? Will any gear fit the nytro? Is there any thing else I should worry bout when putting a 1.75 on?

Well based on your riding I would say yes drop a tooth on top or 2 if you are a heavy guy. Both snoX and hillX sleds have low gearing for good reason.

I am not sure at what point you will consider your top end "killed." Having installed a 1.75" track you will have already lost some top end. Going to a lower gearing may not cost you any more top end mph then you lost from the track already. A top sprocket is cheap, run it stock, then swap it and see how it works.. I have a 136x1.75 track and I run 19/39 gearing which works very well.

No you can't use any gear. You'll have to get one that has the correct inner spline teeth and is the right width. Ulmer racing has a selection of gears for Nytros.

Clutching should be fine, you can tweek it for personal preference, stock drivers will work but for best results you should install a set of anti-ratchet drivers, protectors have to be removed with a 1.75" track!

Confused? said:
Great thanks. Should I be worried about my clutching, drivers, or protectors?

Lower gearing will help the clutching. Under heavy slow load it'll prevent bogging, you know when it feels like you are starting in second gear.

Without extros you will likely have to run the track very tight to prevent ratcheting.

Ok i remeber reading in your build someone pressed them on. Who did it and how much? And how did you fix your limiter strap problem?

Confused? said:
Ok i remeber reading in your build someone pressed them on. Who did it and how much? And how did you fix your limiter strap problem?

I bought a complete drive shaft with extros already on it from Ulmer Racing.

Well in a round about way I no longer have to deal with the limiter straps. The plastic guides at the top of SE front swing arm broke so I had to switch to a spare base Nytro arm which only uses the single strap.

Confused? said:
This may sound stupid but what do you mean by press? Like drill press, will an exhaust shop have one?

No not a drill press.. most automotive shops would have some sort of press.... they use pressure, usually hydraulic to press parts together that are simply help together by a tight fit. The simple ones often just have a bottle jack that you jack to push the parts together.

A hydraulic press like this: http://www.harborfreight.com/12-ton-sho ... 33497.html

I took mine to my local Yamaha dealer. $50 labour to press both external drivers on and $32 for a new bearing and I was on my way.

Just make sure that the drivers are indexed to the same point when pressing onto the shaft (meaning the teeth line up).

You'll also have to cut the tunnel protectors off the front heat exchanger (if you have them). I had to because of rubbing with my new 1.5" intense track.

Back