• We are no longer supporting TapaTalk as a mobile app for our sites. The TapaTalk App has many issues with speed on our server as well as security holes that leave us vulnerable to attacks and spammers.

General questions.

Big Bertha

Extreme
Country
Canada
Snowmobile
2018 VK PRO 2
So I have a few rides on my1st ever Yamaha 4 stroker. (VK pro 2). Ok, it’s hard to shift, what a pain that is. Is this normal? Any fixes. Reverse to low and back to reverse is like using some 1970 Russian farm implement. Not sure if that’s what Yamaha had in my mind for us??? And when in low range it seems to be a very mechanical kind of rough feel to it. You can feel the roughness through the whole machine. You can hear it and feel the mechanical nature. Is this normal? Is low range super to be as smooth as high range? If it’s not normal, what could be the issue? Thanx

What are you using this weapon for?
Have you considered a 2019 and up 146 sidewinder?
Reverse is one little button at your left thumb.
Slickest reverse ever. If only ATV manufacturers could make a reverse that easy

idle rpm too high? belt tension too tight?

What are you using this weapon for?
Have you considered a 2019 and up 146 sidewinder?
Reverse is one little button at your left thumb.
Slickest reverse ever. If only ATV manufacturers could make a reverse that easy
We have 40 acres of trails that we hike on with the dogs. So I bought this beast to brake trail so we can hike. This is my second sled ever. I just sold a 2015 Polaris 137 switchback 800 cc. That thing was WAY to peppy and fast for my trail braking. Now this VK is unstoppable which is good, love the low range but it’s like riding a Woden log around. Zero suspension and doesn’t turn worth sh&@$t.

Check your chain tension and also belt tension. The 3 adjustment bolts on the back of the secondary tend to use up, causing more tension on the belt, making it very hard to shift. I had to change those 3 bolts at around 7000 kms. Dealer had lots in stock so I'm assuming its a common problem on all Yamaha's. There's also washers that you can add or remove to adjust the belt tension. I have a 2014 but low range is smooth.

Last edited:
The type of belt may be also the issue. I tried using an aftermarket Ultimax belt and it was just too grabby, putting too much tension on the secondary clutch, and making it difficult to shift into reverse. And it also squealed or whistled at idle. Went back to the stock Yamaha belt, problem solved. Otherwise, as mentioned above, check belt tension, alignment and height in the secondary.

Ok perfect, I have these bolts on order now. What about that rough feel when driving in low range? Almond feels like a bad bearing! I checked most of the bearings and the seem fine. Is your low range as smooth as the high range when running?

D1CEE275-E04C-47F0-B94F-7639237FEDAA.jpeg

Testing out the beast. Have the rack and seat off for cleaning.

Back