• We are no longer supporting TapaTalk as a mobile app for our sites. The TapaTalk App has many issues with speed on our server as well as security holes that leave us vulnerable to attacks and spammers.

Got to test ride my Venture after all the work I've put in

MitchRS

Lifetime Member
Country
Canada
Snowmobile
09 RS Venture GT
Hello everyone,

Well as the title states, I was able to finally test out my Venture on December 27th before it melted away in the following days. We still don't have enough snow where my cottage is, located in southern Quebec; which is quite depressing. I believe we're getting snow this week, so hopefully riding will commence soon.

This is the list of things I've done to the Venture over the summer/fall:

- Installed the F/X garage works flex pipes/exhaust gasket, a new gasket and clamp at the mid-section since there was no clamp at all and the gasket was shot due to this;
- Fresh spark plugs, oil and filter change, chaincase fluid change and new air filter;
- Had the center shock serviced and purchased the rear shock that should have originally been on my sled from barn of parts
- Replaced all 10 130mm idler wheels, some of the bearings were still good but the rubber was worn or cracked on the wheel (the good bearings were put aside);
- Replaced the Pivot arm that holds the center shock in place as well #*$&@ bolts to the front of the tunnel;
- Replaced the pivot arm that connects to the bottom of the rear shock;
- Replaced the blocks that support the torsion springs at the rails;
- Replaced the snow flap stopper as well as the snow flap itself;
- Replaced broken/missing hardware and bushings;
- Replaced the top portion of the windshield support as mine was bent;
- The backrest and the lever to move it were in pretty rough shape so I got rid of all the rust and repainted it. it works flawlessly now;
- I changed the connectors for the passenger hand warmers as the pins were all corroded, I replaced the pins and added in some waterproof connectors.

I might be missing a couple items but this has helped with the handling of the sled, it doesn't feel as tippy as it did last year and the bottom end torque seems to be more present without the exhaust leaks.

What remains to be done?

- I ordered new collars that sit between the rails and center idler wheels as well as the runner caps that sit at the front on the rails;
- the parts in the line above will be added in once I order new rails since they had some damage to them from the previous owner but I should good for this season since it looks like it'll be a short one;
- Front shocks to be refreshed in the spring/summer;
- Re-paint the knuckles and grab bars black since the previous owner did a terrible job painting them red
- New skis with dual carbides (might pick some up this season)

Most of my parts came from partzilla; with the exhange rate, shipping and duties, this has cost me quite a bit so the remaining things to be done will have to wait till the season is over.

Hope everyone has a good riding season without any issues, I can't wait to get out there!

Cheers,

Mitch

Yamaha.jpg

Last edited:

that's a nice sled, you might consider getting a Simmons ski, you can probably find them cheap enough for a used pair, I hear they work great on that sled. I have used the exact sled for years before I bought my own sled, it's a little tough on the arms after a while and a bit tippy but its a bullet proof sled. good luck with it Mitch!!

that's a nice sled, you might consider getting a Simmons ski, you can probably find them cheap enough for a used pair, I hear they work great on that sled. I have used the exact sled for years before I bought my own sled, it's a little tough on the arms after a while and a bit tippy but its a bullet proof sled. good luck with it Mitch!!

Thank Joe! I'll definitely take a look into those skis.

Nice work and I know what you're going through. I just replaced all the bushings in my front suspension with Oilites, so no more Yamaslop, but can't try it out yet here in the Ottawa area. Snow is falling right now so I'll keep the snow dance going
:-o

Have you looked at Megazip for parts? For us Canucks, it can be cheaper than US or Canadian suppliers and parts availability may be better than in North America since they ship from Japan. I got some outer tie rods that were cheaper than anywhere and were in stock, even cheaper than Royal Distributing and they're aftermarket brand.

Nice work and I know what you're going through. I just replaced all the bushings in my front suspension with Oilites, so no more Yamaslop, but can't try it out yet here in the Ottawa area. Snow is falling right now so I'll keep the snow dance going
:-o

Have you looked at Megazip for parts? For us Canucks, it can be cheaper than US or Canadian suppliers and parts availability may be better than in North America since they ship from Japan. I got some outer tie rods that were cheaper than anywhere and were in stock, even cheaper than Royal Distributing and they're aftermarket brand.
Thanks Mooseman, Dang! I wish I would have known about the Oilites bushings since the plastic bushings are going to deteriorate with the grease running in the pivot arms... maybe I'll make the switch in the summer so I won't have to worry about it anymore. I'm also in Ottawa and it definitely is nice to look out and see some snow coming down!

I've never heard of Megazip, thank you for providing me with that info. I'll have a look in the future.

Back