• We are no longer supporting TapaTalk as a mobile app for our sites. The TapaTalk App has many issues with speed on our server as well as security holes that leave us vulnerable to attacks and spammers.

GPS / Power install

nhrxrider said:
Wow...lasting the entire day on a set of batteries? Is that even in the cold? Mine will go about 12+ hours in warm weather, but when I tried it on my Cat with batteries, they lasted about 1-1 1/2 hours in the cold! That was alot of batteries for a weekend trip we did, riding 18 hours each day for 2 days in a row.

I have mine mounted in exactly the same spot on my dash, but I put my cig. lighter under the hood. The reason I did this is because my power cord is about 10 feet long, so I needed a place to zip tie the extra wire out of the way.

I like that unit mounted to the bars, especially the screen size! I'd like to invest in one of those when I have more chance to ride long trips.

Jim

Yes...I guess I should explain. I always use re-chargable batteries with NO LESS than a 2000 mAh rating. I don't know why but these things last a LOOOOnnnnNNNG time in anything you put them into. My digital camera with regular alkaline batteries lasts about 1 hour worth of picture taking. I had the same digital camera with me 2 weeks ago stuffed into my REV cargo thingy behind me in -37C temps. The re-charagable batteries I have now lasted ALL DAY and all that night at the hotel. I bought a new set of 2300 mAh from Costco and I only recharged them that night at the hotel for peace of mind. It still showed 1/2 power at the end of the day.

Last season I used my 2000's in my GPS and they would easily last 8-10 hours in the cold (-15C - -20C). Try it out.

That explains it. I use thos ein my digital camera too, and I found the same thing. I didn't have them back when I powered my GPS with batteries. Now I almost never use batteries in it, just the power cord.

Jim

Him,

I take it you cut into the bar pad to mount the GPS? Any details on that? I've got a 276C and that looks like the perfect mount.

stevenknapp: I saved the original bar-pad and made a copy of it, aswell as the soft stuff beneath it (dunno what it's called in english). Instead of zippers in the original pad, I used some textilfabrics that attach to each other (dunno what thats called in english either).
The external antenna is routed and placed just in front of the dream-o-meter.
I now use bigger clamps (small exhaustclamps 26 mm) to fix it to the handlebar instead of those in the picture.

I shall lower the GPS further into the pad, but thats a summer-hobby.

Here's some picture beneath the pad.

Attachments

• WarriorSkelettfram.JPG
    WarriorSkelettfram.JPG
    22.9 KB · Views: 72
  • WarriorSkelettSida.JPG
    WarriorSkelettSida.JPG
    22.7 KB · Views: 84
  • WarriorSkelettBak.JPG
    WarriorSkelettBak.JPG
    27.1 KB · Views: 73

Back