• We are no longer supporting TapaTalk as a mobile app for our sites. The TapaTalk App has many issues with speed on our server as well as security holes that leave us vulnerable to attacks and spammers.

greesing sealed bearing

black knight

Expert
Has anyone ever popped the seal off a bearing with the metal seal.
I got a new bearin for the speedo side of the drive shaft and was wondering if I would still be able to pop it to grease

thanks in advance

Attachments

• images.jpeg
    images.jpeg
    6 KB · Views: 514

Drill a small hole or two -- one hole to insert the grease needle and one for the old slop to drain out. It would work if you want to use a metal sealed bearing like this....

If you get it out its not going to go back in. I would do like super sled said, after drilling clean the bearing out with carb cleaner and air.

I have never done it myself but I hear that if you use a dab a grease on the end of the drill bit and take it slow the grease will catch the metal shards and keep it out of the bearing.

I have greased bearings like that since my 87 Exciter. Take the seal out, spray with brake clean, wash in hot water and it dry, and regrease. Never a problem.

On mine I pryed the metal seal out. They are pretty thin aluminum so it was basically destroyed. I replaced it with a rubber seal from an old wheel bearing from the skid. Worked great.

that is a shielded bearing not a sealed bearing . i feel that is not a good choice as far as keeping water out.

thanks guys

i will try the drill bit with grease mid season then a couple dabs of sealent if that dosent' work i have 3 old bearing seals i could try if i fubar the metal one.

Thanks for the responses.

2 months till 1st day of winter.

What's the no. on that bearing? I think that skubadoo is right that it is just shielded not a sealed. U can tell by the no. If u go to the bearing makers web site it will usually have an explanation of the lettering in the no.

most bearing manufacturers use 2zz which means double shielded 2rs means double rubber seals

Bearing Grease

I just put some grease into a syringe (that I picked up at a farm store) with a small needle and slide it carefully under the lip of the seal and give it a jab of grease. Then I will turn the bearing to work the grease around. It works great.

I have done this on multiple sleds. Many times I don't even have to remove the bearing. I just make sure that the seal area is clean. It is really easy. The only problem I have encountered is that the grease can be had to push thru the small needle if it is cold.

Soooo Black Knight did you ever try to remove or drill the metal seals on driveshaft bearing? I was doing maintenance and wanted to regrease bearings as I had in the past but realized the last time I changed the lower driveshaft bearing the yamaha dealer gave me one with a metal seal! Just wondering what people are doing with those for maintenance...

to be honest i don't remember. i think i ran it for a year then changed it out with one that had rubber seal. it came in the All Balls bearing and seal kit(the bearing that had the steal seal) i got for it a couple years ago. do like above and pop 2 small holes opposite ends of each other then grease then clean and a dab of silicone on holes.
really surprised someone hasten come up with a retrofit cover with a grease nipple on it so we could geese like other sleds.

Back