• We are no longer supporting TapaTalk as a mobile app for our sites. The TapaTalk App has many issues with speed on our server as well as security holes that leave us vulnerable to attacks and spammers.

gutting the exhaust

Smoke

I know some on this forum have gutted their exhaust. I did mine a couple weeks ago and it sounds good in the garage, but with no snow, I can't give it a good test. Those that have, how does it work? Do you need to re-jet? Some have told me that it was the wrong thing to do and that the stock system is the best setup for back pressure, but said this about the r-1 exhaust and didn't know about the sled exhaust.

I also gutted mine. Sounds good like you said and can't wait to get it out on the field. Hope it is okay, a few people off this site did theirs so I hope to hear some feedback also.

Just finished gutting mine and waiting to get it back as my cousin is welding it back together. From what I understand it's supposed to sound like a R1 with a Yosh performance pipe. :twisted:

It sounds real good! It has a nice "crackle" to it when you give it some gas, and I thought my 00 SRX sounded good with a Bender race can on it. My only concern, is there any loss in performance?

From what i was told there is no performance loss or gain. Just better breathing. That's always a good thing. 2 or 4 stroke. Just my input. Not at all an expert. :twisted: :twisted:

Any new info about this? Any power loss or gains? How does it sound, are you happy? Thanks

It sounds awsome. Not a whole lot different at idle but just crack the throttle and you notice the bark. Don't have any idea about performance I'm trying to get a hold of Matt at the speed shop to see if I should rejet. :twisted: :twisted:

When you gutted your exhaust did you cut it open from the top or the bottom.How much louder do you think it is over stock.Where is it louder at idle or reved up or both.Thanks Mike

its not much louder at idle, but it sounds sweet from about 4000 up. Its got a nice crackle to it. It sounds better than my srx did with a Bender race can on it. I peel off the top and back section of the muffler from the seam to access the baffles.

Thanks for the replies guys. Is this something I can do by (pry apart?) myself and then just have someone weld the muffler back together? Also, seat of the pants feel shows no power loss? Thanks again guys

I took mine to a muffler shop. The heat shield is welded to the canister on the sides. Once the shield was removed, the canister was cut along the seam at the top and down the sides about 10" towards the back. It was then peeled back to access the baffles. One note of interest, the canister was fairly corroded underneath the heat shield. The can is stainless steel, but it makes you wonder how long these things will last!

i "gutted" only the center of mine last year,,,,, this was productive.

you will need a die grinder, cutoff wheel, and welder to do the job.

i found my sled to be lean in the midrange after the mod and needed to jet up one size and lift the needles up also.

nice "race car" sound as the wife put it.

i have a hard time getting her to let me ride it.

Back