• We are no longer supporting TapaTalk as a mobile app for our sites. The TapaTalk App has many issues with speed on our server as well as security holes that leave us vulnerable to attacks and spammers.

had to doo it

Mighty said:
I spoke with a member of the media that rode all of the sleds for the media event last week and he said the 900 ace was very impressive for 90HP. He said it did everything great. He said in one short straight he hit 85 before he had to back it down. He said it felt like it had more to give.

BRP sled speedo's are very optimistic like the pre-11 Apex speedo. How fast do you really think 90hp will go? Why does BRP need 900cc's to produce 90hp?? When I fire up my lawn tractor I know why!!!!!

sx7001 said:
Mighty said:
I spoke with a member of the media that rode all of the sleds for the media event last week and he said the 900 ace was very impressive for 90HP. He said it did everything great. He said in one short straight he hit 85 before he had to back it down. He said it felt like it had more to give.

BRP sled speedo's are very optimistic like the pre-11 Apex speedo. How fast do you really think 90hp will go? Why does BRP need 900cc's to produce 90hp?? When I fire up my lawn tractor I know why!!!!!
Why do you need a 90HP lawn tractor.......I don't expect the 900 ace to be a speed demon, I just reported what I was told. I asked my buddy of all the sleds, was there a particular model that impressed him? He said yes, the New Doo 900 ace. He said it was a well rounded machine, easy to throw around and made that comment about the speed. He said it completely surprised him to realize he had more throtlle left. For the record, I have now spoken with two people that have said the same thing. Neither are Doo guys either. Just sayin ;):D

sx7001 said:
Mighty said:

This is an interesting statement, and I now realize that Yamaha actually makes good HP for displacement.

The 1200 doo is rated at 130hp. The Cat 1100 is only 125hp without the turbo according to latest episode of Snowtrax tv this weekend. We all know where the Yamaha 4-strokes are at, and where they can be with a turbo.

So all that being said, i'm happy with the hp we get without a turbo or supercharger!

sx7001 said:
Mighty said:

My 1200 is consistently 7 MPH off. If the speedo is reading 106 MPH I am going 99 MPH on GPS.

dubla92 said:
I have been into all Yamaha 4strokes engines and the Skidoo 1200 is just as good of motor if not better in some ways. The new 900 ACE will be a far superior sled than a Phazer in every way.

Anybody that discredits a 1200 probably has no real first hand experience with them. I have been riding with a 2 of them for a few years now and every time we switch sleds I am amazed on how well they handle. Far far far better than any Yamaha. It pains me to say it but it is true until the new Viper came out I would have bought the 1200 over another Nytro anyday, if I were to buy another sled. The only thing the nytro has over the 1200 is the throttle response.

X2, Even the throttle response is a very small area. The Nytro is crisper below 5000RPM, but after that its all 1200.... For trail riding, I don't see where its an issue. The 1200 has a much wider powerband or torque band, then the Nytro and the motor is better to boost, then a Nytro or Apex for that matter, if thats your game....

First Impressions of the ACE 900 Engine
Posted on March, 24 2013

2014 Ski-Doo Renegade snowmobile with ACE 900 engineSnowTech magazine editor Kevin Bielke has put more than 1,600 miles/2 575 km on a prototype 2014 Renegade model powered by our new Rotax ACE 900 engine with iTC (intelligent Throttle Control). He sent us this e-mail to communicate his impressions of the sled so far:

BRP,

My favorite sled – whatever it is — has the rMotion rear suspension. That is the best, no contest. I thought it was our E-TEC 800R Renegade X, or maybe the E-TEC 600 H.O. MX Z X, but we just got a 2014 prototype Renegade ACE 900 4-stroke. This sled is amazing. On paper it says it has only 90 HP, but on the snow it pulls great with a wide torque band and it is so smooth, so tractable, so quiet, easy to ride, and gets like 20+ MPG. It is the first 4-stroke that isn’t nose heavy. It just blows my mind at how good it runs, and is actually a very fast sled up to 80 mph. It pulls hard out of the corners but doesn’t spin the track.

You hear more track noise than the engine – you would swear it is an electric snowmobile.

Everyone that rides it says it is the Lexus of snowmobiles. It just plain works. Puts all other 4-strokes to shame. Only the 600 & 800 E-TECs are even close, or a 1200 4-TEC. Or maybe the 600 ACE, but that just doesn’t have quite enough power. The 900 does. Forget HP, it is all about the torque. This is usable power, even in two feet of fresh lake effect snow, it goes and goes. You will not believe what this sled is capable of.

Best sled we have ever had, if I dare make that claim. I must be nuts, but it is that impressive. The ride quality from the 2014 rMotion is unmatched, rough trails are a total non-issue. Got the sled last Wednesday and we already have 1,600 miles on it. And it burns 87 octane fuel – that’s 50 cents a gallon less than premium right now. This sled will change the way you think of 4-strokes, and will change the way you think a snowmobile should be.

Ski-Doo has just changed the rules, yet again.

Ya ok my doo budy rode one and he said it lacked big time but the ride was great . He also said it seamed like the new 800 etec doo was slower than his 03 renegade 800 . Just what a doo guy told me .

I really think that the ACE 900 is going to a big seller for Skidoo...it will appeal to a lot of riders out there, nimble, comfortable, torquey, plenty of speed, reasonably priced and fuel efficient.

The fuel efficiency is what piques my interest. On my Apex, I'm looking for a gas station at 150 km, but with the ACE 900, it's said it will get over 300 km. This alone, would give me peace of mind and I wouldn't have to plan out a route conducive to checking in at every gas station I see. Plus, Skidoo recommends 87 gas, unlike my Apex at 91 octane. At over 15 cents a liter difference between the 2 grades of gasoline, that's a significant difference in $/tank. And 91 octane isn't always available especially at small gas stations who like to charge $1.50/L.

Grimm said:
I really think that the ACE 900 is going to a big seller for Skidoo...it will appeal to a lot of riders out there, nimble, comfortable, torquey, plenty of speed, reasonably priced and fuel efficient.

The fuel efficiency is what piques my interest. On my Apex, I'm looking for a gas station at 150 km, but with the ACE 900, it's said it will get over 300 km. This alone, would give me peace of mind and I wouldn't have to plan out a route conducive to checking in at every gas station I see. Plus, Skidoo recommends 87 gas, unlike my Apex at 91 octane. At over 15 cents a liter difference between the 2 grades of gasoline, that's a significant difference in $/tank. And 91 octane isn't always available especially at small gas stations who like to charge $1.50/L.

That is in the economy setting. If you like to ride like that so be it, but owning an Apex then riding in economy on the Doo I am sure you will be disappointed in the performance.

Either way, even in Doo's top setting, I am sure it will still get better mileage than your Apex, especially since you have the smaller tank.

I have owned Ski Doo's for the past 12 years and bought my 1st Yamaha this year..I will not be going back to Ski Doo any time soon as I feel there quality and dependability are lacking!I bought a 2013 Renegade 800 E-TEC and it had 3 recalls on it so I dumped it and went with a 2013 Nytro XTX 1.75 and so far I love it!

Grimm said:

You sure about that? Maybe thats why so many have been blowing up in our area since the tank cap has a big 87 on it but in fact written in small letters it reads premium recommended. So pre 2011s 87 was all that was needed for apexs, now its either or, but in a 2stroke id run what they recommend because of the quality of fuel over time and the addition of ethanol(our premium doesnt have ethanol). People may disagree with why they cant just run regular but for most of Canada I'll run premium just because I know it wont be blended with ethanol. For me, any machine over 10,000 dollars and the 1000-2000miles you MIGHT run in a season Id use the assumed octane that they call for even though regular will get you home. Two doos blew up last wknd one after another obviously due to fuel but you cant argue the facts on how ethanol attracts moisture so to me the extra 300.00 of buying premium over regular is no big deal when you think of the potential consequences for saving a couple bucks at a time for a fill

pat the rat said:
Doo still and will always make me nervous,saw too many broken down doo's this season,towed a 600 ace,wouldnt start,saw another ace tied to a poo,friend blew is 600 etec,800 are fireballs,but too each our own,i wish luck to all that will jump ship and see you in a few seasons when you get sick of calling your dealer for issues and downtime,will still be here,stopped to check on a few guys cpl weeks ago with side panels open,electrical issues the guy told me,i was on my old 16000 miles phazer gt wich is still running strong and never got towed once,i've had doos and i know all to well what they are about
Agree 100 percent, I have had a lot of trips ruined because of Ski doo burn downs. Was in Michigan on our Feb trip burned 2nd day got towed to Yamaha dealer and left 2 hours later with a2013 Nytro XTX, Looooooooooooooo :Rockon: oooove it!

Make sure your new nytro has a extended warranty.You may need a new motor in less than 3000 miles.Mine blew in 2600 miles, never boosted either, and if you look around on the web mine is not the only one.Oh and you cant buy a new motor you have to buy used or spend $6000 for parts and put them together. :Rockon: loooooooove it

Back