• We are no longer supporting TapaTalk as a mobile app for our sites. The TapaTalk App has many issues with speed on our server as well as security holes that leave us vulnerable to attacks and spammers.

Handwarmer performance

loudelectronics

TY 4 Stroke Guru
Website
presdwr.spaces.live.com
Went riding yesterday and it was -38 to -43 with the windchill. I have no hand guards on my XTX as they both broke. So I rode 90 miles in the weather with no protection. I am wearing Yamaha FXR gloves. Only once during the day did my hands get chilled and that was when we first started off. I turned down my thumb warmer to get more power to the hands and I was fine after that. By no means were they hot but my hands were comfortable.

I rode with a guy on a rev that has very hot warmers. He had to use hand muffs to keep his hands warm most of the ride. I think what is happening is that his warmers are so warm that his hands sweat. This causes your hands to get cold after a while. Since my warmers do not get that hot, my hands did not sweat and there for freeze. Not sure, but maybe this is what yamaha is going for???

Hand warmers only do so much, and I think it does not matter what brand you have, everyone complains about them. Either way, they are better then nothing.

I totally agree about the hands sweating part. Once your gloves get moist, they will cool down much faster than if dry. So when at a pit stop and you take your gloves off, if they have moisture in them, they will cool down faster and make your hands colder when you put them back on. In those circumstances, you need lots of heat to get them warm again, which the stock handwarmers will not do.

The handwarmer fix from Rockmeister enables you to get the handwarmers heated up quickly, then adjust the levels down to maintain heat in the bars. It is a nice fix. ;)!

ya my hand warmers are terrible. There great if its 20 degrees out. But I was riding in -20 without the wind chill. I have leathers and hand guards, I couldnt go more than 5 miles without having to stop. The best answer to these handwarmers is to just put some aftermarket ones on

Little experiment I did........In a controlled environment, while warming my machine up in the trailer, I cranked up the hand warmers all the way. NO wind, ambient air temp of -15F

Result: The handlebars/warmers were extremely warm, on the edge of hot to the touch.

Went out riding all day in -15f to -25f temps with the hand warmers cranked all the way up. (I normally don't use the warmers anyway so it was a bit or a challenge for me) I stopped numerous times throughout the day and checked the warmers. Initially they were warm (not hot) and then after 1-2 minutes of sitting, idling they were as warm as they were in the trailer with my gloves off. While riding I could not tell that they were even on.

Conclusion: I still believe cold hands are caused by exposure to the elements as there is nothing to protect your hands or controls from the wind and cold weather. The handlebars were extremely cold and I have a low windshield with no guards what so ever thus directly being impacted by wind.

I have access to a infrared thermal scanner and one of these days I will get it and scan the bar/grip temp's throughout a day of cold riding. I am nearly for certain that the cold hands are a result of the handlebars being cold, cooling the effect of the warmers thus making them ineffective. Anyway more to follow in the future.

I did foam my bars and there is an improvement. Not night and day, but beneficial just the same.

I can let my machines warm up for as long as I want and there is zero heat at the handwarmers. It takes 10 minutes or so at average riding RPMs to make heat.

I have two '09 XTXs. The warmers on one work very well. The warmers on the other barely work at all. No kidding. If I cared I could try to figure out what the difference is. But I'm tired of the topic so I'm just going to ride and have fun.

SB

My buddy claims one notch below high is where he gets his best heat. That is on a rtx se. Mine work, the wind was a problem but I have the big muffs now.

I foamed my bars and put on the skins hand guards and the hand warmers work very well ran three bars this past weekend temps around 0 ran alot of rail beds hands never got cold.

Rode this weekend in all different temps. when temps were above 20 warmers work ok but as temps fell through out the week the warmers got cooler and cooler. The last day temps fell through out the day, when leaving at the last gas stop they were fairly warm, the farther we rode the colder they got kept adjusting the temps to sure they were on high could not get any heat. The last time we stopped for a break could not feel any heat at all with my glove removed.

Back