• We are no longer supporting TapaTalk as a mobile app for our sites. The TapaTalk App has many issues with speed on our server as well as security holes that leave us vulnerable to attacks and spammers.

Headlight--high low split modification

What size plastic O Ring did you use? I was going to try that as my head light is way off.

How many turns to get your head light alligned into place if you use the suggested screw to fix the problem?

Great site guys. After reading this thread I put Silverstars in my Attak. Great improvement. It also really hate the high low problem so what I did was turn them all the way down so the highs are aimed right.

Here is what should help you out; I left the bulb on one side normal and spaced the other one back. That way one shines higher and farther and the other is a bit lower and wider and actually fills in the 'dead spot' a bit. You get the best of both worlds this way.

High Beam Pathetic

I rode my new XTX for the first time the other night and it was extremely poor on high beam and I almost had to drive blind.
Is it better to upgrade bulbs?
My old SXR was fantastic compared to this 09!
Jeff

The stock bulbs are good, Silverstars and others are better. But the real problem is where they are aimed. If you read back through this thread it gives really good info on how to fix the problem.

I put in the silver stars today. I haven't really seen anyone talk about it, but if you take the headlight assembly off there is a Phillips screw on the back of it. Its in the middle between the bulbs. Anyway I turned that screw two 360 rotations and its the adjustment for the reflectors inside. 2 rotations lowered it down by an inch or so. I think that ought to do it. From the factory it was set pretty high. Might give that a try.

After reading all the posts on washers and O rings. I read the last post about the screw that turns the reflectors and aims the light. I have to check this out. Thanks cmharcou.

when you turn the screw it raises one beam and the other is too high....or down and the the other is too low..
this is the reasoning behind the washer/o ring

this is especially true when the transfer rod is set to mid to high and accelerating...headlight in the trees

you are just sliding a o ring (my idea) or per the original idea a washer between the bulb and the housing...this spaces the bulb away from the housing...kind of like the maglight idea

here's the long and the short of it...its the refraction of the bulb housing....it cant be fixed...also there is some flexing on the metal support bracket....but thats to a lesser degree..

so no matter how much turning of the adjuster screw either the low beam will be too low or the high too high....for me personally I chose the low being too low and used my high beams a lot....
the problem with the washer or o ring is just like the maglight...it shortens the length and sharpness of the beam....and for high speed night riding I found it personally not what I wanted...especially since I ended up running 55/100 bulbs.....

Here are my results on an '06 Apex: Installed Silverstar Ultras and bent the tabs to create the offset. Then I turned the adjustment screw 2 turns clockwise to bring the aim down. Results: In My Opinion (IMO): the Silverstar Ultras are not any brighter. The low beams now point to the ground and the high beams are still a bit high and they leave a dead spot right where I want light. I am now going to purchase a HID kit.

Keep turning that screw clockwise until the low beam is just in front of your skis, the high beams will then be good.

Just installed PIAA Super Plasma GT-X and it made a pretty big difference but I was still shinning into the trees. THEN I cranked my headlight setting down about 3-4 full turns and WOW what a difference!! I can see far enough on low beams and when I hit high beams it's like day light! Turned it from the worst lights I have ever ridden with to the best lights I have ever ridding with.

If you ride at night get these lights and just adjust your head lamp down and RIDE! ;)!

Back