• We are no longer supporting TapaTalk as a mobile app for our sites. The TapaTalk App has many issues with speed on our server as well as security holes that leave us vulnerable to attacks and spammers.

HEATED CLOTHING " The Best Option"

Bob Miller

TY 4 Stroke Master
Country
USA
Snowmobile
Present Sled: 2011 Yamaha Apex 128
Alright you all :D I see all these modifictions that are being done to your sleds and I think thats great :D Now I want to talk about comfort 8)
Last year on my 99 700 V-Max Deluxe I tried a Gerbings heated jacket and it was good :shock: Especially on that day in January when it was -40 degrees with the windchill factor. Everyone knows that if they go riding the whole day that you will be chilled to the bone by the end of the day :roll: Believe me, its much better with the heated jacket :wink:
The only problem I had was the jacket was drawing too much juice when left on full! This resulted in a near dead battery, but the 700 had the pull starter! I learned to adjust accordingly by not using the jacket all the time and adjusting the heat control.
This year I have a new Blue Warrior, and I understand this machine has an extra 40 watts, well the jacket on high takes 77 watts and its nice to have the option of putting it on full :lol:
Here is some info from another post from Buckeye regarding the carb heaters:The carb heaters are controlled through a circuit from the CD box and come on any time the coolant temp drops below 86 degrees F. and then I believe the coolant heater takes over.
Here is my question; does anyone know if these electrical carb heaters shut off once a certain temperature is detected and then the coolant heaters have taken over ? Then allowing this extra current that was used by the carb heaters available? In other words we have an extra 40 watts already available, will I have another 40 watts available once these carb heaters shut down? For a total of 80Watts?
Here is another option I was thinking of; Hooking up an on and off switch to one of the headlights, giving me the option of turning off one of theses 55 watt headlights that could be used for the jacket 8)
OK feed the sheep :D I appreciate you guys :idea: God Bless You All :)

-40 with wind chill? I think i get that every time I ride in the up. We've rode a -36 without wind chill and many times at -20. What do you wear when you ride, a sweat shirt? I would think about a better suit rather than worry about my batery running dead. A dead battery is something I really don't want to experience on one of these sleds. I just wear t-shirt, sweat shirt then my suit. Keeps me warm.
Just my 2 cents. Good luck.
P.S. ride harder keeps ya warm

b on b, are you from Saskatchewan? We see these temps all the time. You are exactly correct with your advise (about he suit and riding harder).

I would have to agree it gets really cold here and ive never even heard of a heated jacket.

Layering is the way to go iv'e been outside flooding a racetrack at -40 w/o the wind and was never cold mater of fact under the layers i was sweating a good suit blocks the wind the layers underneith keep you warm. On really cold days i will have 4 layers on and can ride 6-8 hour days comfortably.

What would happen to a person that was used to a lectric suit if they had no battery say back in the bush without the propper gear on to survive?
Myself id rather be warm and have a safe starting battery. Invest in a good Canadian made suit. We know how to keep warm.

I do on the otherhand agree on your one headlamp theory as long as it sides on saftey ie: not at night. And do the carb heaters really have to be on ever after the sled is sufficiantly heated up?

I was also wandering if that suit draws that many watts what does that do to the ignition. Would it hurt performance or physically hurt the cdi box for running low voltage? I know on msd in race cars running low voltage effects performance and hard on the ignition.
Something to think about.

Well, I guess its like anything else! You have to try it to see if you like it 8) Now I've been snowmobiling for 26 years and I have been riding in Canada for the last 9 years and I have been dressing in layers and this last year I tried this electric jacket and "I LIKE IT" :wink:

Now back to my technical question, if anybody knows the answer, it would be greatly appreciated :D
Here is my question; does anyone know if these electrical carb heaters shut off once a certain temperature is detected and then the coolant heaters have taken over ? Then allowing this extra current that was used by the carb heaters available? In other words we have an extra 40 watts already available, will I have another 40 watts available once these carb heaters shut down? For a total of 80Watts?
Here is another option I was thinking of; Hooking up an on and off switch to one of the headlights, giving me the option of turning off one of theses 55 watt headlights that could be used for the jacket
Thanks You all!!!! :) :) :)

I ride motorcycle and can appreciate the benefits of heated clothing. I have full Gerbing outfit. It's wonderful how a heated jacket liner can warm your toes. So my first thought was to install a plug for it. I have a BMW type plug, but was wondering what the reserve watts were until reading this forum. Guess I'll be limited to a GPS and electric shield.

Im not sure how you could tell if they are on or not unless u hook up a lamp to the carb heater circut.
Once that is determined then you could use a switch to ensure that the carb heater relay and your jacket do not turn on at the same time.
Seeing how the carb heater fuse is a 20amp you should at least have 120 watts to play with considering that u need 240 watts to blow the fuse at 100% effeciancy.
You could get tricky and have the carb heater n/c contact off the relay power your jacket then everytime the carb heaters kicked in your jacket would kick out. This is of course only as long as the relay has a n/c contact.

Thanks Mikey :D I'll have to further investigate and see what I can find out :idea:

Bob,I can understand your desire for a heated jacket . I doubt that the carb heaters draw more than a couple of watts so I wouldn't go down that path.I think your idea about the headlight is the a good and simple solution and should work perfectly.If you are going to ride long distances at night you will have to turn the jacket off.You might also disable the low beam on one the headlights by placing some electrical tape over the low beam contact.This may allow you to have enough light and power at the low beam setting and intermittently use the high beams without killing your battery.Compared to the headlights of sleds of only a few years ago one headlight on lowbeam may be just fine.Iwould even go so far as to disable the lowbeam on the left side.Ithink oncoming traffic would appreciate this.Finally,install a simple auto voltmeter and you will be able to monitor the state of charge eliminating any guessing at all.

LFM the carb heaters do have a 20 AMP fuse! So if they are not on there is a potential source like MIKEY has pointed out! But I will figure it out! I'm going on a trip to Canada next month and I'm bringing the multimeter with me and I'll be breaking in the new Warrior :D Can't wait 8)

Simply disconnect one of your headlights and use that point to plug in your jacket. If it was me and I got as cold as you seem to get I would stay in the hot tub with the wives and girlfiriends while your buddies rode :lol:

Wire a small led or lamp to the black with yellow stripe at the carb heater relay located inbehind and above the right footwell. That way u can watch it and see for yourself when it turns on.

Hey Mighty I don't get that cold! But until you try it you won't know what I'm talking about! :twisted: I already have a 2 prong flat connector coming directly off the battery with a 15 amp in line fuse, ready to plug the jacket right in.
And Mikey, once again that's a good idea and I appreciate it :D

Hey Bob!

Hey Bob your just not riding hard enough if your getting cold!...hahahahaha..Here in Northern N.Y. the trails usually suck so riding hard is a daily thing! :lol: I got rid of my leather Yamaha suit because I would sweat my butt off riding here...hahahaha.

Back