• We are no longer supporting TapaTalk as a mobile app for our sites. The TapaTalk App has many issues with speed on our server as well as security holes that leave us vulnerable to attacks and spammers.

Helmet communicators - open mic or push to talk ?

We run Chatterboxes on our bikes. They do have BT for options, but actually use a radio signal for 2 miles of distance. It's older technology, but in my opinion........way effin' better!
Bluetooth has limited distance, clarity & doesn't go around corners.

I have the Scala rider. Vox. It would suck to push to talk. You want vox. Also sometimes have mice freeze on mine. And can hear someone else's sled in my helmet. Sort of like being in a video game.

My favorite thing about them is being able to chat without getting off sled lifting helmet, just to say hey do we go right or left at this intersection.

Lol ...I got to pee. Or hey dad I'm hungry when do we eat?

We have remote buttons on handlebars. If no Push-to-Talk, no communicator for me. I don't want VOX.

My Sena S20 have VOX but there is also a setting for the sensitivity. I put my music on and when the date says something it cuts down the music and lets her talk. Then it goes back to where the music was playing. When I am out by myself or with others, I just listen to music.

So how does the winter temperatures effect the longevity of a good days ride in these Senas ?

We ended up with the UClear. Rode with them several times now and love them. Clear communication and really a value added accessory. First day out we hit an open spot on the lake and I was able to tell her to hammer it. It's also really nice to not have to keep stopping to communicate. You can decide on lunch stops and routes on the fly.

The system cuts out the wind noise but I can hear when my wife gets on the throttle. It gives me a momentary engine sound. Not a big deal and I got used to that quickly.

One big drawback is that I tend to sing in my helmet and while my wifes likes Steve Earle she is not fond of me singing his songs...

Back