• We are no longer supporting TapaTalk as a mobile app for our sites. The TapaTalk App has many issues with speed on our server as well as security holes that leave us vulnerable to attacks and spammers.

Helmet Recomendations

I hate to be the barer of bad news but that's one tall order/ However/ I bought one of the Doo cigarette helmets ( not that stupid looking new one) / I find that this is the warmest hemet I've ever had/ the vents that you breath out will ice up if your out all day/ solution/ carry a second mask and swap it out/ put the iced one in with the motor to defrost/ Again this is only a problem if it is very cold and your out all day/ Now for your neck/ I'm not aware of any helmet that has a built in Dickey/ so after dealing with this problem for many years( I layered my neck to a size 25) I got wise and have purchased an electric Gerbing jacket( it has a heated collar) I got the liner jacket/ I wear it over lite sweats and under my snow suit/ Now you ask " How well does it work? " There are few words to describe a new product that addresses a comon problem that we all face as well as this product/ This item is FANTASTIC!!!!!/ My body and neck are warm as toast/ Grief and aggravation have no price but cold does and it's this suit/later/jim-bob

After trying things like "no-fog" liquids, masks, keeping the helmet open a crack, etc., and nothing working, I finally got the heated shield. Not once last winter did my shield fog up, plus the heated shield melts the snow if it is snowing. I will never own another helmet/sled without a heated shield.

I have been using an HJC-CL10 for the last 8 seasons...It was a good helmet but would tend to fog up easily...I went with an electric shield, that was ok , but a real pain at times....Last year I bought my wife and I those skidoo modular....Visibility is awesome, nice and warm but I’m a big guy (240lbs)...and when I got breathing heavy on the trails those vents to the mouthpiece would plug off in about 20 minutes...I tried everything to make the helmet work for me...I installed check valves right in the tubes that connect the mouthpiece to the helmet....It worked perfect except the one kept falling out....I gave up, returned mine and figured that next year they would have a helmet with the valves in there....now they do, I went and looked at the new BV whatever it is and they did a terrible job...it is a poorly built helmet and your exhaust breath comes up over the shield....This year I have bought an HJC motocross style with a no-fog mask and a good pair of goggles....(have not actually tried it yet) allot of my friends are wearing this and have no complaints, I know for sure that they are never fogged up when I was with other helmets...Hope this helps…JD

Heated shields are the bomb :twisted: I've had the same HJC for 4 years now and I swear by heated shields. I've found the neck problem to be more related to the jacket than anything else. I have a real nice-looking 3/4 Castle jacket that aint worth a S#%T, it's too big I guess :roll: . The best jackets I've had were a '93 style AC and my leather Polaris made by Heinne Gerrike (spelling???) They don't make a purple Polaris RX1 H.O.T. and Polaris is embroidered all over it :cry:

If the collar on your jack zips up, then you've got a good chance of keeping your neck warm.

Anyone wearing the TEAM Yamaha jacket (the one that looks like it has frills on the chest - comes with red, gray, blue, and yellow accents)?

Helmet

Get a modular. Once you have one you'll never get anything else.

I wear a G-Force auto racing helmet, open face. Used with a long Kimpex flip up shield. On the really cold days, I will use a balcalva and a cotton neckie, and somtimes also an electric heated open flip shield. I wear glasses, so this has been a battle. To add complexity to the situation I have a very difficult time getting a helmet large enough for my head, I wear a 7 7/8 - 8 1/8 helmet, many makers do not build anything close to that size. :!:

With the Doo helmet I never needed the heated shield but I often wondered if I just got lucky or if the helmet was just plain damn good/ Jackman Power Sports sells a ton of stuff and he said that he had only sold 4-5 of the heated shields and I could see why/ However because I use the helmet on my ATV and just plain use the helmet alot I had scratched the shield . When I went to get a new one , the regular replacement was around $100.00 and the heated was around $150.00 / so for the $50.00 bucks difference I opted for the heated shield./ I really think this helmet is a great but pricy item. Note: there are a lot of cheap knockoff cigerette helmets/ some are terrible and some are okay/ but none are as good as the Doo helmet/ /Note: I'm not a Doo fan but when somethings good/ just tip your hat and keep moving/ later

MXZ,

Check the snowmomags, I saw an add for prescription goggles. I wear contacts for riding they don't fog-up :wink:

XPG

go with lazer modular over doo cheaper and breath goes out bottom instead of sides. Rubbers that direct air to sides on the bomby helmets are scrap and the plastic snaps tend to break and not available when you need them,laser modular adressed these problems.by the way laser makes the bomby modular also.

If you are looking at a new helmet, realize that a modular offers no more protection than an open face (I saw one break when it fell off a table), and none are Snell rated.
I wear full face with electric visor, and at -35C, I've had no problems.
I am planning to try a sno-X with google this winter though.

Yamaha Sno-Force!

I'd have to say that the Yamaha Modular Sno-Force made by Lazer is the way to go. It vents out the bottom and never,never, ever fogs.You can pick one up from www.portyamaha.com for around $179.00 comes in Blue or Black. Wear a good name brand bacalava and your in! Or the Modular Doo helmet and take the graphics off and have a graphics shop put some cool graphics on it. Just my opinion!

For the neck issue if your helmet is not a modular, take some velcro and secure it all along the bottom of your helmet. Next take a warm piece of material (your choice) and sew the other part of the velcro to the cloth. Secure it to the helmet(make surte the ending seam is in the back of the helmet). You can then tuck the piece of cloth into your coat and zip it up, instant dickie. depending on how fancy you get with the cloth it can be wind proof water proof or just plain warm(or all of the above)

I you can handle tthe looks of the new Doo helmet, thats the way to go. I personally have a motocross helmet with the pro vue perscription goggles and I love it. I don't have any problems staying warm and I have ridden in -20 degree weather. I would find it hard to go back to a full face unless it was a modular helmet.

Back