• We are no longer supporting TapaTalk as a mobile app for our sites. The TapaTalk App has many issues with speed on our server as well as security holes that leave us vulnerable to attacks and spammers.

Help setting suspension 2003 rx1

jerry75

Country
Canada
Snowmobile
2003 rx1
I'm looking for some guidance in setting up my suspension to be optimal for me. i have read a lot of threads but not many pertaining to me or my stock sled. I have a relatively stock suspension. I have upgraded to the 13mm stabilizer and the 75mm stabilizer arms to help my handling. But with budget what it is i'm limited to keeping it cost affective so changing the skid and shocks at this time aren't and option. I'm about 180lbs, ride mainly trails and want a comfortable easy handling set up with this not so nice stock suspension. I understand that changing spring pre load and limiter straps with change how she handles but being newer to this sled some help in getting to an enjoyable ride would be appreciated as i know the hours that it can take in trial and error if you dont know what you are doing.

I cannot help you with the rear skid, I twisted mine up and replaced with a m10. The front adjustment is to raise the front of the sled until the skis are off of the floor, loosen the top spring nuts on the shock until the spring turns loosely. Make sure both springs are the same. Your front a-arms should be flat or level (or even less than level) to the floor when sled is lowered. Same procedure to looosen the preload on rear shock, there is an adjustment in the skid "soft, medium, hard" on the center shock on the proaction skids. There is an Tech Manual for this sled in the tech section.

If not already done on your RX-1, for riding comfort (bottoming out) and trail manners, a shock rebuild and possibly a re-valve for both your rear suspension shocks is in order in my opinion. In Canada, see www.shocktec.ca, Frank is the man when it comes to setting up these shocks based on your sled, rider weight, riding style, and typical riding conditions.
I've had several done on different sleds, and it makes a night and day difference imo. The pro-action suspension can be dialed in, just takes time. As I recall those white nylon bumpers on the transfer rods can be cut in half to give you a little more transfer range if that's a concern for you.
Limiter strap length and front end shock spring pre-load adjustments really affect steering/handling more-so than riding comfort, although I guess they are related. Lowering the center of gravity on these sleds minimizes the ski-lift and tippiness by getting the front A-arms as close to parallel as possible as mentioned above by Indy.
For the RX, a set of dually carbides , or cobra head single carbides really help with the darting and handling in the twisties, also recommend checking toe-in/out.
Hope some of the above helps out.
Cheers.

as indy said, get the front a-arms as close to parallel to the ground as possible.

as to the rear proaction, i can get you pretty close. my settings help keep the skis on the ground. front skid shock: with the sled on its side or supported by the rear bumper, lossen the spring tension until it is stiff to turn with 1 hand. lock the jam nut up there. rear shock: set fra to soft; witch means the rear shock bolt closest to the front should be at the top of the slot. then adjust the spring tension tighter or looser to get a 60/40 (top/bottom) ratio on the transfer rods with you in your seated riding position. once proper ratio is acheived, lock the jam nuts up and ride it. cannot fine tune more until you ride it and tell us what it is doing.

Well im also in need of some help i have a 06 rage rs 136 that im in the process of installing a 04 RX1 MOUNTAIN 151 LOOKING FOR MEASUREMENTS FROM FRONT BOLT OF SKID TO MID 3 BOLT POINT ANY HELP WOULD BE APPRECIATED

Back