• We are no longer supporting TapaTalk as a mobile app for our sites. The TapaTalk App has many issues with speed on our server as well as security holes that leave us vulnerable to attacks and spammers.

Help with suspension

jtimm793

Country
USA
Snowmobile
2008 Yamaha Apex LTX GT
Newbie here... looking for help adjusting rear suspension. Bought my son a 2008 Apex LTX GT. He’s 18 and about 190. The guy we bought it from was a big man weighing an estimated 350 or more. I rode his sled for the first time last week and it didn’t feel like there was any suspension! How do I adjust it? I’m a visual guy so pictures help. Not looking for what settings, just how to change the way it’s currently setup. Thanks!

odds are there is a big boy spring on it at minimum if the rider was as big as you say. might need a re valve for your son's weight as well.

there are some used ones up in the calssifieds from guys with vectors that up graded to different set ups that might be easyer if you need it quick.

A 5.0 Big Boy Multi rate spring from Barn of Parts would be perfect for him. I run mine on the second clip. Very nice ride.
Have that shock look at as maim stated.

Since you're a visual guy, I would suggest viewing the PDF version of the owner's manual for your sled as it will show the various ways to adjust the suspension. Additionally, if you have the GT like I do, you also have the electronic control rear Ohlins shock that can also be adjusted; manual will show that as well. I also agree that a big boy spring was most likely added as even I added one but weighed much less than your previous owner. Here's a link to Yamaha's website where you can view the PDF owners manual; just to have to specify machine details:

https://library.ymcapps.net/library/om/app/index.html?baseCode=6150&langId=02

You need to send your shock out and get it rebuild and re valved for your weight and riding style, it will most likely need a different spring because a spring for a 350 lb guy isn't going to work so well for somebody that weights 190 lb If it is a GT be sure to make sure the electronic adjustment is working because they usually failed in the first couple hundred miles of use. I had the same sled except it wasn't an LTX even after you have everything done it will leave you wondering what Yamaha was trying to accomplish with this suspension. If you have any questions or need shock work done contact Cannondale the TY shock guy he will get ya hooked up.

https://www.barnofparts.com/apps/webstore/products/show/7079516?siteId=134334799&locale=en-US
This is the Dual rate springs from Travis at Barn of parts . Good product !

https://www.hygearsuspension.com/collections/2008-Yamaha-Apex-LTX-GT-40th?sort_by=price-descending
This is what Hygear has available for your sled . I have a 2009 Vector LTX with Hygear Dual rate springs on the front and the Mono.
This setup brings your sled to a whole new level. You can get your shock rebuilt and revalved . Then you can install the dual rate springs yourself .

Newbie here... looking for help adjusting rear suspension. Bought my son a 2008 Apex LTX GT. He’s 18 and about 190. The guy we bought it from was a big man weighing an estimated 350 or more. I rode his sled for the first time last week and it didn’t feel like there was any suspension! How do I adjust it? I’m a visual guy so pictures help. Not looking for what settings, just how to change the way it’s currently setup. Thanks!

you can adjust the mono shock to give your suspension more travel.The big boy before may had it cranked down tight to hold him up. this set of instructions are for an 06 but it still had a mono shock and should get you going in the right direction without buying stuff. Read it over.

Riders who are familiar with the traditional torsion springs found in most rear suspensions are often thrown for a loop when it comes to setting the rear preload on a Yamaha fitted with the Monoshock rear suspension. Instead of torsion springs, the Monoshock suspension has a single coil spring on the single shock absorber.
Most of the sleds fitted with a version of the Monoshock suspension are set from the factory for a fairly light rider, under 200 pounds. In our experience the single coil spring does not have the range of adjustability of traditional torsion spring suspensions, meaning that you might not be able to get the proper ride height and preload setting for your weight by simply making adjustments; you might find the need to install an optional heavier coil spring.
How do you check for proper preload on a Monoshock suspension? Yamaha uses what is called a spring sag adjustment, much like what a dirt bike does. Here’s how;
1. Hang or tip up the rear of the sled so the rear suspension is completely unloaded, that is with no weight on any part of the track.
2. Measure the (unloaded) length of the shock spring, from end to end.
3. Set the sled back down on the ground and have the rider (with riding gear) sit on the sled.
4. Measure the spring length again (loaded length).
5. Calculate the difference between the two measurements. It should be 40-45 mm.
6. If required, adjust the spring preload to reach the proper 40-45mm setting. ON sleds with threaded adjusters instead of cam adjusters, pay special attention to the minimum installed spring length (you do not want the spring to coil bind). Most Yamaha coil springs can only be set 10mm shorter than the factory setting.
7. If required, heavier riders might require the installation of an optional heavier spring.
Generally, you will want to also increase the compression damping along with a spring preload increase. Also realize that as you increase the rear spring preload there will be a tendency to cause the steering to become heavier. If you installed meaty carbide runners to get the thing to corner better, you might find it all to come back into balance once you get the preload set properly. Always verify proper preload settings before making changes to the front end to get the sled to handle better!
The main take away from all of this is that many riders are using their Yamahas with an improperly adjusted rear suspension preload, if you do not weigh 175 pounds and have not made any adjustments to the coil spring length. The Monoshock rear suspension is primarily a comfort suspension and less capable of resistance to bottoming, thus the torsion spring versions in the RTX models which are more capable to withstand harder riding and resisting bottoming.

The Mono is a dual rate spring/proper shock valving away from being a really good do all trail riding suspension. I’ve had fantastic luck with the springs Travis at Barn of Parts has available along with improved shock valving. With the proper set up it’s REALLY hard to beat a Mono for a trial sled.

The Mono is a dual rate spring/proper shock valving away from being a really good do all trail riding suspension. I’ve had fantastic luck with the springs Travis at Barn of Parts has available along with improved shock valving. With the proper set up it’s REALLY hard to beat a Mono for a trial sled.

This is how I feel. With a revalve and setting the sag these are a very good riding sled. They get such a bad rap for rear suspension.

It took me a long time fiddling with different spring/valving combos before I was 100% happy with the performance of the skid. It wasn’t until I tried the dual rate springs that I got there, and even then, I’m on my second spring from Travis, the first I ordered I went a little too stiff on both the rates, but I am a lighter guy at 180.

Follow UNCLEAR's write up for this year.
See how it rides.
Over summer have shock rebuilt & calibrated with possible new spring(s). Not sure which shock you have.

When done with write up, set up the rebound.
Push on back of sled & see how long it takes to come back up.
Adjust both ways so it comes up in about a long second.
It's a "feel" adjustment.
If it snaps up quickly, he'll get a kick in the arse.
If it's too slow, it won't be extended for the next bump.
That's if it works at all. If it won't adjust, then shock is bad.

Adjusting compression damping can help you fine-tune your suspension for different types of terrain and riding styles. There is usually a compression damping adjustment knob on the rear shock. Turn it clockwise to increase compression damping for a firmer ride or counterclockwise to decrease compression damping for a softer ride.

Back