• We are no longer supporting TapaTalk as a mobile app for our sites. The TapaTalk App has many issues with speed on our server as well as security holes that leave us vulnerable to attacks and spammers.

Rear suspension is? Well I won’t curse lol.

Big Bertha

Extreme
Country
Canada
Snowmobile
2018 VK PRO 2
Second ride on my VK pro through my trails after adjusting the rear suspension. Softened it up as all the adjustments were on max hard. ( talking rear suspension here ) and it did not make a bit of difference on the lack of steering, in fact it’s pushing even worse now. Rides so rough over bumps, and when I push down on the rear end it squats but doesn’t come all the way back up. Almost half the travel. I have to help is up by lifting the rear of the sled!! Is this normal? Should it come all the way up on its own with medium settings? And there are 2 shocks under there. One with a spring and adjustable collar and the other looks like a huge hood strut. What does that big hood strut do? Is that the thing that supposed to keep the rear end up? Or is it for dampening? Could this be shot? Is the rear suspension on these supposed to be nice and cushy and suck up bumps like a Cadillac? Cause now it rides harsh like a lowered Honda Civic!!

This is what it’s doing. When you press down it collapses and does not go back up. Anything past the collapse is rock freggin hard!!! What’s happening here???

Trying to get a vid for you.

Last edited:
Ok, last attempt failed as the file was to large.

You see how is goes down and doesn’t come back up by it self. And when it’s at the bottom it’s hard like a rock. Not a very nice ride. Any ideas??

Attachments

• 69967461830__02723F02-6373-4082-B8E1-D79BFA30C2CB.MOV
    1.9 MB
Does any one have any ideas about the issue? Im just wondering if that middle strut ( the one with out the spring) suppose to provide LIFT to the suspension, or JUST dampening????

was it okay (other than stiff) before your adjustments to softer settings? You need to thaw it out so you can have a good look at what is going on. I would start by making sure the torsion springs are on their correctly and then loosen up one side of the back shock and see if it makes a difference, the shock is there to slow down the suspension, the springs hold it up.

T
was it okay (other than stiff) before your adjustments to softer settings? You need to thaw it out so you can have a good look at what is going on. I would start by making sure the torsion springs are on their correctly and then loosen up one side of the back shock and see if it makes a difference, the shock is there to slow down the suspension, the springs hold it up.
This was my first half decent ride on it. And softening it up didn’t make much difference to the ride, but made it steer even worse!! So I just want to make sure that the shock with out the spring on it has zero lift!! Can the torsion springs loose lift and sag?? And it shouldn’t have all that static sag righ?

torsion spring yamaha skids do not return all the way to the top. they usually sit down 2-3" when you get off the sled. the rear shock does help some but it is only noticeable when it is totally blown.

torsion spring yamaha skids do not return all the way to the top. they usually sit down 2-3" when you get off the sled. the rear shock does help some but it is only noticeable when it is totally blown.
I get that there needs to be some sag, mine fully collapses down to those stops and won’t come back up at all. So are my springs totally shot?

Is that the way the spring is supposed to sit? Am I missing something?

Attachments

• BD1B62D0-3825-4735-B311-AAEBAB7425B7.jpeg
    BD1B62D0-3825-4735-B311-AAEBAB7425B7.jpeg
    105.3 KB · Views: 47
The springs don’t apply to be broken, and they seem to sit in the correct place.

that is how they sit on the stock torsion spring spacers. i am running the hygear ones in my 11 xtx and the skid looks similar to it in how it works.

do the limiting rods and all the shafts/pivot points take grease? that is moving pretty stiff and notchy in the vid.

They do, has hundreds of grease nipples everywhere. Ok what and where are the limiting rods?
I can grease it all tomorrow and see if that solves anything.

And it’s crazy how sloppy those springs sit on there. Not something I’m used to seeing in a Japanese made machine.

Back