• We are no longer supporting TapaTalk as a mobile app for our sites. The TapaTalk App has many issues with speed on our server as well as security holes that leave us vulnerable to attacks and spammers.

Help :-(

snowdust2 said:
I use a cheap bearing puller from Harbor freight. I used to fight with these and try most of the suggestions already stated. The can be a real PITA. With the bearing puller they are easy. Here is the set I bought...doesn't get any cheaper and they work fine for something like this.

http://www.harborfreight.com/cpi/ctaf/d ... umber=8832

Is it just me or is Harbor Freight's stuff a bunch of cheap crap? I went to one of their retail stores the other day for the first time and it just seemed like a lot of what they had was cheap built in china junk. I bought a fuel pressure gauge and the damn thing leaked like mad and filled the inside of the gauge. Returned it and went to the parts store and bought a better one. Maybe paid 20 bux more for it but the quality was night and day.
Yeah their prices are cheap...but you get what you pay for there...thats for sure...
Was not impressed....

It is cheap stuff. In this case you don't need to spend the money for a good puller. The cheap one from them works great.

bdm said:
I love Harbor Freight for tools I expect to use once or very rarely.

But in my case did not even work once. I hate cheap crap. Even if I am only going to use it once...there is nothing more frustrating than getting home...getting started on a job and you can't finish because of one thing or another. Also IMO another reason this country is suffering. We keep buying this crap from China. They just seem to be the Wal Mart of tools...
I'll spend a few more bux and try to buy American if I can. I know sometimes it's impossible though...

Oh -Boy...don't open up that can of worms.. :drink: :)

I just buy items I feel I can't go wrong with. In this case the puller is cheaply made, but works well for pulling these bearings. I wouldn't plan on using it for anything that would pull hard. I use it once a year so I'd prefer to have as little invested as possible.

Back to the subject - My brother in law just did one of these and had another good idea. He used a pickle fork from the back side and was able to pry it right off. In his case he didn't even have to remove the chaincase side. Just another idea.

snowdust2 said:
Oh -Boy...don't open up that can of worms.. :drink: :)
Back to the subject - My brother in law just did one of these and had another good idea. He used a pickle fork from the back side and was able to pry it right off. In his case he didn't even have to remove the chaincase side. Just another idea.

You need to be careful with this method, too much pounding and you could easily damage the chaincase side. With the seals and gears in the case it's not something to be beating on.

leave the bearing on the shaft for now. use a sharp chisel and cut the mushroomed side of the rivets(the side you can see in your pic) off with a couple of blows. this will release your inner bearing retainer so you can pull the drive shaft out and remove the bearing on the bench. do not use a pickle fork! it can actually press the drive sprocket in further on the shaft in stead of moving the bearing. don't bother putting rivets back in the holes either. you don't need them.

Back