• We are no longer supporting TapaTalk as a mobile app for our sites. The TapaTalk App has many issues with speed on our server as well as security holes that leave us vulnerable to attacks and spammers.

Hmm...My Viper puked

MCApex44

TY 4 Stroke Guru
Country
USA
Snowmobile
2014 Viper RTX SE (sold)
I was doing about 30mph and let off the gas and was coasting for a bit. I went to accelerate again and I gave it more gas but the engine would only rev and the sled wouldn't accelerate at all. I hit the throttle a few times but nothing. All I heard was a slight whining or almost like a humming sound. I came to a stop. No codes or check engine lights. I was thinking no way did I blow a belt...I would've heard that. I was thinking maybe it popped out of gear...so I put it in reverse and was able to move the sled in reverse back a few feet. Put it back in forward and still nothing. I felt some warmth on my left foot...looked down and discovered oil everywhere (see pics). On my pants, boot, ground, belly pan etc. I had over 10,000 miles on my Apex and Fx Nytro and never got towed...only 1,000 on the Viper and my buds Doo towed it out. :o|

Attachments

• viper belly pan oil.JPG
    viper belly pan oil.JPG
    207.5 KB · Views: 212
  • viper front oil.JPG
    viper front oil.JPG
    300.3 KB · Views: 219
  • viper me oil.JPG
    viper me oil.JPG
    440.5 KB · Views: 201
  • viper tunnel oil.JPG
    viper tunnel oil.JPG
    282.2 KB · Views: 182
  • viper tow oil.JPG
    viper tow oil.JPG
    288.4 KB · Views: 188

Could very well be the oil separator. Like when I made the post, it's a big deal and can ruin a weekend!!. I'm not saying it's for sure that, but that's what mine did. If that's it you have to take it out and drain the water out of it and clean it real real good!! It should be down by your muffler if it's stock.

It looks like it came out of the breather. I hope it's nothing more serious!

When is the last time you did an oil change? Could possibly be the oring from the old filter got left on there..that would certainly cause an issue like that..if your new filter was tight enough it likely could have ran for awhile before it blew out. Before you go riding again be sure to pull both your clutches off and take them completely apart to clean them or otherwise you will likely ruin a belt in a matter if seconds..the old belt can still possibly be salvaged with a real good cleaning.

I stuck my viper vertical for 10 minutes. Oil and coolant started coming out. Engine would not start.

They have safety. Take it in, either filter or separator.

Separator most common following in snow dust in the cold. But some in powder as well.

I stuck my viper vertical for 10 minutes. Oil and coolant started coming out. Engine would not start.

They have safety. Take it in, either filter or separator.

Separator most common following in snow dust in the cold. But some in powder as well.

Looks like oils in the middle of the sled, could be either.

Studroes144 said:
When is the last time you did an oil change? Could possibly be the oring from the old filter got left on there..that would certainly cause an issue like that..if your new filter was tight enough it likely could have ran for awhile before it blew out. Before you go riding again be sure to pull both your clutches off and take them completely apart to clean them or otherwise you will likely ruin a belt in a matter if seconds..the old belt can still possibly be salvaged with a real good cleaning.

I got the oil changed at the dealer at 600 miles. This happened at 1,013 miles. I'll take it back to the dealer and let them figure out what happened. I also had a few drops of anti-freeze under the belly.

It would be crazy if it was the oring issue but not saying it couldn't happen. Most generally if that was the case it would blow out within the first few mins but if they put the filter back on as tight as the original filters are on there then it is surely possible. Not a clue what the oil separator issue is.. That's one is new to me. I'd would just be sure that the clutches get completely disassembled and cleaned because if you have oil in the clutches, which I'm sure you do, that will cause some very unwanted problems!

Arctic cat quality unfortunately. As the miles pile up our poor vipers will fall apart more and more.

So far I've had better luck with the viper than my 06 apex. At 2500 miles I had to replace exhaust donuts, 4 boggy wheels were shot and the mono shock had blew out on the apex..so far with the viper: just the blown rear shock. And honestly..the viper with a blown shock still prolly ride better than my apex ever did. Gets kinda old hearing all the crap said about the viper and it being another piece of arctic crap..yamaha has made awesome motors for years but the chassis are a joke in comparison to competitors sleds..now they get one of if not thee best chassis in the industry and the ones that bash it the most are the guys that own it and it's mainly based on a few of the same occurrences that different people had. Not saying that there aren't issues but stuff is getting blown way out of proportion here.

TurboJamie said:
Arctic cat quality unfortunately. As the miles pile up our poor vipers will fall apart more and more.

Arctic Cat quality/fit and finish is at least on par with Doo and well ahead of Poo IMHO.

Nytros rule said:
TurboJamie said:

Arctic Cat quality/fit and finish is at least on par with Doo and well ahead of Poo IMHO.

I agree 100% the viper may not be yamaha fit and finish but it's darn close. Quality is as good or better than yamaha IMHO. My previous yamaha sleds always needed something done to them by the 2500 mile mark. My viper has had a rebuilt shock and that's it. I'm far more pleased with my viper than my previous yamaha sleds (apex, nytro, Phazer) I'm smiling everytime I ride the sled no matter what the conditions. It's sad to say but whenever the trails had 1 foot+ moguls I hated riding sled before until I got my viper. Now it doesn't matter cuz with my properly setup rear suspension the sled is a blast no matter what conditions. I was always a smooth trail guy until this past weekend with my suspension back together..now I don't really care what the trails are like because the sled soaks up everything and I rode with two 800s all day Saturday (2013 pro r switchback and 2012 xrs) neither one of which every passed me. We had smooth trails, rough trails and long straightaways. Viper started out in front and stayed they all day with both guys admitting they could have never passed me with their sleds.

I thought the same thing on my Nytro. Changed the oil and new filter. Did not realize that the triple filter's O-ring is not attached to the filter as the apex filter. The old O-ring was stuck to the engine block and I missed it. Put new filter in with new O-ring and the old O-ring still on the block. Rode up the trail from the house about two miles and had oil coming out all over. Real similar to you. Shut the sled off. Thought I blew the engine. Clean it up and found my mistake. Have you had your oil changed? I have had no issues with my new Viper. I'd rather change my oil than an engine every three thousand miles. Who has quality issues? :yam:

I hope you report back with findings !

So before we all start bashing let's find out what happened first , then we can bash ! ;)!

Back