• We are no longer supporting TapaTalk as a mobile app for our sites. The TapaTalk App has many issues with speed on our server as well as security holes that leave us vulnerable to attacks and spammers.

Honest Nytro Reviews Please

Ruckus

TY 4 Stroke Master
So I've outgrown the mighty Phazer. Its still an awesome sled but I have it to the bar most everywhere I go. I am considering an 09 Nytro xtx from the dealer (salesman's model-barely used). However, from what I have been reading these things are extremely heavy, about 100lbs heavier than my Phazer and 200lbs heavier than a rev800xp (the other sled I am considering).

My riding style is everything: Minimum groomed trail (just to get where I need to go) then its 1/2 rough/twisty trails and 1/2 open pow. I leave from my door, ride every other day and try to log at least 3,000km (1800 mi) per year. I don't trailer my sleds 6 hours to find snow then ride a groomed highway all day, I go for short, hard sessions and the occasional all day run. This is what I ride mostly, that and rough twisty trails.

My biggest issue is weight. I've seen on here that the Nytro weighs in at ~625 lbs. Can this be brought down realistically? I love 4 stroke engines and I'm used to Yamaha issues such as slides and steering components prematurely wearing out and I work on my own sled. I really like the idea of a Nytro, mostly for the challenge (and engine) but I don't know if I can get over the fact that it is a tank. My brother, who is a BRP mechanic and die hard Doo guy will probably disown me if I buy one but I really like them (in theory).

So I was hoping you guys who drive them on a regular basis (no trailer queens please) in similar conditions as me would give an honest opinion on their owner experience. Hopefully this will help me in my decision because the best time to buy is right around the corner. Thank you!

Sounds like you do the same kind of riding I do. (great photo by the way)

I love my Nytro. It's a great all round machine, you'll love it on the trails on the way to your play areas, and you'll love the power when you're playing in the powder.

Most of the mods you're reading about here don't need to be done. Early winter conditions will make you wish for wider skis, as the stockers won't keep the front up very well, but that's only really an issue if you're in the trees. And in a winter like the one we're having this year will make you want a deeper lug track. Of course last year the 1.25 with studs was perfect, so the best bet is to have both.

The Nytro is listed at 529lbs dry, and there's no doubt that it's a big heavy beast. But it's well balanced, and fairly easy to throw around in the deeep stuff. I think you'd love the Nytro.

I come from the DOO and CAT side and some of my buddies still have them. They are starting to get it when they occasionally end up on the tow rope and I have yet to have that happen. I have no problem riding the Nytro like the lighter two-smokes! My son and I ride motocross and ATVs and this is a closer riding style for that as it does take some getting used to.. Since you come off the Phazer, you will already be used to that style and believe me with the 130HP, the additional weight compared to the DOO is nothing - until you have to dig it out of a 3 foot area of snow. Honestly, not an issue with me or my son, I am 6'3" 220, and my son is 5'10" 150. Get the Nytro and keep that reliability and add some mods to get it where you want it. All my buddies who don't have the Yamahas are seriously considering the NYTRO or APEX as there next sled. ;)!

I switched from a phazer to a Nytro this year. I don't notice that it is heavier when I am riding.

In the past I didn't do a lot of riding in the powder because the phazer was only a 121". I just started riding in the powder this winter. So far I have no problems throwing around the Nytro.

You will definitely love the extra power. My hands were sore after the first weekend on the Nytro because of the extra pull.

I think you are confusing dry weight and wet weight. The Nytro is not 200lbs heavier then an XP not even close. It's more like 80-100 lbs.

625 lbs will be a fully fuelled wet weight for the Nytro.

Isn't the phazer around 480 lbs (dry) and I believe the Nytro is around the 530 lbs mark dry. That's only 50 lbs.....and the Nytro has 50+ more HP! You get into the ditches where there is some snow and the extra power makes the Nytro feel a lot lighter then the Phazer pretty quick.

Actually I found max sled wet weights for 2009s.

Etec 600 gade 542 lbs wet
Nytro XTX 614 lbs wet

Not even close to 200 lbs

Don't forget that the nytro only has a 7.4 gallon tank. That subtracts 18lbs in a straight up weight comparo.
You might not have to make a choice. There are some hopeful signs on the "internets" of new yamaha iron.

Where did you see that at ( new yamaha iron ) anyways i like my nytro cant even tell its heavy i can move it around just like my xc 700 ;)! ;)!

Im really happy with my nytro,1600km this year trouble free.I let a guy ride it this weekend cause his 800r xp has been down 3 times this year and he wants realiability now.He rode it and said he didn't really notice the weight with the power of the nytro...he said he will be buying on for next season...

I came from an MXZ 600. I will never go back. Fit Finish/Durabilty/Suspension/Motor a far superior. Where this sled excels IMO is rough trails and corner to corner riding. If I were buying a sled with 1/2 my time powder riding I would look to an 800cc sled with low weight. I do not feel the weight in the trails but when trying to pick my way thru powder/trees I would prefer a lighter sled. When I'm in large open areas i.e fields or lakes the weight is much more manageable. I think this sled is a "jack of all trades" but its weak link would be powder.

I ride to find places to play, love the nytro so far, yes you can feel the weight, but if you are big enough of a guy its not really an issue. I am 6'1" and 200lbs and don't have an issue manhandling her where i want to go most of the time lol.

09nytro said:
Where did you see that at ( new yamaha iron ) anyways i like my nytro cant even tell its heavy i can move it around just like my xc 700 ;)! ;)!

Don't wanna hijack an interesting thread so check out my last post in the 2012 yamaha topic in the general forum. Everything I can gleen from the internet is there. :drink:

I thought I never noticed the weight until this weekend at the red lake 75 XC race. I ran one lap on the Nytro rough 22 miles and was realy sweating and tired. Found a broken front skid arm. Next race I borrowed a friend Sp600 although i was nto any faster I was much less fatigued at the end. I still love my Nytro and the challenges it brings on but thats just my 2 cents!

Back