• We are no longer supporting TapaTalk as a mobile app for our sites. The TapaTalk App has many issues with speed on our server as well as security holes that leave us vulnerable to attacks and spammers.

Hooking up a 12V Power Source??

SIMMER

TY 4 Stroke Master
Guys, if you add a 12V power point to your sled...do you just run the wiring back to the battery terminals? (Red to Red and Black to Black) Does the battery get charged as the sled is running? I want to run a GPS off of my battery but I don't want to draw from the sled's power source...not sure if you guys know what I mean... :oops:

I'll be doing the same thing, but haven't picked up my sled yet. I assume there will be an electrical schematic in the back of the owners manual like the other yamahas. I plan on hooking it up so there is only power when the key is on. I don't want to get caught forgetting to turn off my GPS and then end up with a dead battery. Once I get the sled and my projects going, I'll post a pic and what I did. Why wouldn't you want to draw from the sled's power source? There should be more than enough available.

I know there is a connector by the right foot well area, but I ran my wires for a gps and a power point directly to the battery and never had a problem.

Well last season I spoke to one of the guys at the Yamaha booth (service guy) and he was telling me that there is only 40Watts of extra power available from the RX1 charging system. He strongly advised against drawing too much from the system. I already have an electric shield but I don't know how much I have left to play with.

Once I get everything that I need I'll take a look into the power requirements.

Weather you tap in to the battery or somewhere else on the system, it should all be the same power. If you just go right from the battery, it will take more from there and the charging system will have to compensate for it anyway.

Here are some quick calculations-

power(Watts) = voltage(V) * current (Amp)

The GPS I have (Garmin E-Trex) runs off of 2 AA batteries. The batteries last about 24 hours. The average Amp Hours for a AA battery is about 2.4. Therefore the current drawn is approximately 100mA, or .1Amps. The power needed to run the GPS is .1A * 3V or .3Watts. This does not take into account power lost by the 12V to 3V conversion, but I would say there is plenty available and nothing to worry about.

Anyone else agree (or even follow what I did)? :shock:

12v power hook up

Guys I work in the electrical industry and hooking it directly to your terminal will be fine just make damn sure you put a 2 amp fuse inline as close to the battery as you can. I also spoke to the Yamaha factory rep and he was an #*$&@ about adding any extras to the sled. As for the schematic...you better be a brain surgeon to figure it out or have one hell of a magnifying glass it is printed in true engineering schematic and if you can't decipher a true schematic DO NOT try to!! More often than not a GPS will turn off after a period of non use. My recommendation use a pocket unit and keep your sled from getting ripped off. :shock:

Yup, planning on the fuse. I just want to have it after the key rather than directly to the battery so I don't have a live plug when the sled isn't in use. I plan on just unhooking the GPS and carrying it with me when I shut the sled off too. All I need the schematic for is finding the right two wires, then I can go from there with my meter on the sled to make sure I've got everything right.

12 volt reply

There are 2 blue wires that are in the handle bar assembly get the one that controls the heated grips. Get to the power before it gets to the grips and your golden. As for carrying the GPS with ya.................Smart Man!!!

a gps doesnt use that much wattage.... or amperage that more important of the two..

you will be fine... hooking up off the battery gives you more amperage to fall back on.

If you probe the fuse block on the right side of the frame, you will find two feed wires, on hot all the time the other hot only with engine running. Either place can be tapped for power, I removed insulation and soldered a tap on the wire to run my laptop and stalker on the lake. 8)

The hot leads on the sled

Like it was said earlier there is only 40 watts left over from the charging coil on the RX1 small items such as gps's and cell phones wont really affect the unit But Not having enough power for the Digital Ignition can cause some intermittent problems. It is not sugested to hook any accys up to the handgrip wires due to the power it will take away from the hand warmers. now for the heated shields and higher wattage items should be hooked up via 1 blue wire off of the bottom of the main relaywhich is located above your right foot stirrup. Her is an illustration provided by Yamaha

Re: Hooking up a 12V Power Source?? I HAVE RUN MY FILM GEAR

I HAVE BEEN RUNNING FILM AND VIDEO EQUIPMENT FROM MY RX1
I Made a 4 pin XLR cable Connector to do this You could use a Cigerete lighter socket just as easily.
This is Part of the reason I have not gone to a Light Battery.
When you are Running You Will be Charging But at an IDLE your sled will overheat and I AM Not sure if it Charges Much at LOW RPM
Certainly a GPS does not use that much power.
But they sure Chew up the batteries if you use the RHINO Radio GPS
I Think I Will ADD a Pig Tail to try run My GPS as well
KEEP in Mind that your GPS is likely not 13.8 Volts
so the Adapter you use should be UNHOOKED when you are not running
or it WILL kill your Battery This also includes Video Cameras from adapters not 12 volts or more. THE CONVERTER often does Drain power
Some Cameras Drain Power even turned off.
Add Cold and this can be EVIL But Manageable
( Talking HOURS Not Minutes to kill your battery)
MY New Project is to Build an Emergency Lead to Plug from A Normal sleds Headlight to Try Boost Charge or Start a Dead Battery RX1
Perhaps someone Has Already Tried this?

Back